“EXCELLENT!!!!!!! Far surpassed my expectations!!!!”
Review of Simpson House Inn

Got a photo?
Add it.
Simpson House Inn
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
So. California
“EXCELLENT!!!!!!! Far surpassed my expectations!!!!”
Reviewed October 13, 2006

Just checked out of the Simpson House Inn after a 2 night stay. What a wonderful property!!! I believe this place is what chains like Four Seasons and The Ritz-Carlton strive to be. The very personalized and un-arrogant service is quite a treat. In fact, there are many times that you feel as you're the only one there even though the inn may be full. I really enjoyed the gas/wood burning fireplace and the excellent bath amenities (Kiel's brand). You can't go wrong with the Simpson House Inn. It's close proximity to State St. and wonderful restaurants like Bouchon make it a MUST for me when I visit Santa Barbara!!!!

• Liked — Fireplace & bath amenities (Kiel's)
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Take advantage of the evening hors d'ouerves
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank BelenBelen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Hebrew first
san francisco, california
Reviewed October 5, 2006

Monty and I spent our 19th Anniversary recently at the incredible Simpson House. From the moment of our arrival we were greeted by Daniel who not only took us to our beautiful Parlor Room but also took us on a tour of the property. Throughout our stay we were pampered and catered to and I cannot begin to express the beauty of the grounds. The care taken with food presentation - at breakfast, tea, and afternoon wine - adds to the richness of the experience at Simpson House. The pinnacle of the stay was after a long romatic walk through a nearby park we returned to our room with rose petals covering the turned down bed - we definitely felt we were in heaven!

• Liked — The beauty of the grounds, the perfection of the service and the romance of the room.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Take your time and enjoy the setting - it is a place to calm down and be romantic.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank salimalama
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 29, 2006

This was our fifth stay at Simpson House Inn and, as usual, we were not disappointed. We usually stay in the spring but were unable to this year. We responded to an email special ($600 room for $400) and decided to celebrate our August anniversary in style.

Simpson House Inn is the benchmark by which we judge all other B&Bs. Their attention to detail, the quality of their staff, the delightful facilities, the glorious food . . . what more can I say? The gardens are beautiful and the rooms are second to none. We usually stay in the Garden Room but this time stayed in the Plumstead Cottage. The whirpool bath comfortably fits two. Everything from the linens to the toiletries to the snacks to the staff is truly perfect. Yes, it is expensive. But by the time you factor in the amazing breakfast to the expansive hors d'oevres (meaning we don't eat much for dinner) the cost is almost equal to a three or four star hotel where you have to buy three meals per day.

I am already looking forward to our stay next year.

• Liked — Top notch service
  • Disliked — Price
  • Tips/Secrets — Go for it! You won't regret it!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TaxLass
dc
Reviewed August 28, 2006

After navigating through the endless misery of the L.A. freeways, arriving 2 hours later at the Simpson House was like a dream come true.
A peaceful paradise.
As you pull in the driveway, you immediately sense what awaits you - sweet comfort, floral loveliness, little cottages and a grand Victorian home. But wait, there is SO much more. It is as if the innkeepers sat down and pondered , "Let's think of every possible thing we can imagine..to make our guests feel enchanted". And they succeeded. Truly, they did.
I don't want to ruin any of the delightful surprises, but suffice it to say, that every detail was considered. Oh my, the breakfasts, the daily-changing International hors d'oerves, the staff and the service,, the wine and cheese, the notes on the pillow - so many more things I won't even mention. You will never be so pampered at a bed and breakfast the rest of your life. I promise.

• Liked — The people working there.
  • Disliked — I liked every single thing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Lorraine R
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed July 9, 2006

First off, ignore all the reviews that keep trying to compare this inn to the Four Seasons (yes, we all know you can afford a $600+/night room). Of course it's not the Four Seasons - it's like comparing the Bellagio in Las Vegas to Bellagio in Lago di Como (Italy).

What to expect? From the moment we arrived until check out, we felt as if we were the only people staying there (and that weekend, the inn was full). What makes this Inn stand out is the attention to details. When we arrived, we were greeted with a personalized note welcoming us and two sherry cakes to snack on. There were complimentary sodas and bottled water within our reach and 2 chocolate truffles waiting patiently on our bed.

In the morning, we awoke for a relaxing breakfast overlooking the well manicured lawn. Our breakfast menus were personalized and Nick, the manager, warmly greeted us and asked if we had plans for the day. We had no plans, so he recommended a variety of activities, including a walking tour around downtown Santa Barbara which we enjoyed.

One of the staff member, Sergio, must have been our personal assistant during our stay. When we came back at 5:00, we were a little tired, so we decided to rest in our room until dinner time. At 5:30, Sergio knocked on our door and greeted us with a plate full of complimentary hors d'oeuvres and two glasses of wine (we didn't even ask). He also arranged dinner reservations for us and gave us a personalized sheet with the time of our reservation and directions to the restaurant...another little detail that made such a difference.

The Parlor Room where we stayed was very comfortable and seemed larger than what is pictured on the website. The room was quiet and had a nice view of the water fountain in the front yard. I was a bit worried everything would be over-the-top Victorian, but the room was tastefully decorated and fit the atmosphere nicely.

My only "complaint" was that I didn't realize it's a vegetarian inn, so don't expect bacon and eggs or a tray full of meat (although they do serve eggs as an alternative for breakfast - I recommend to try the specials, though).

My other "complaint" was that there was too much food available. Thankfully I was only there for 2 nights because with breakfast, afternoon lemonade and cake, late afternoon wine and hors d'oeuvres, in-room cookies, chocolate and popcorn available, I would not fit into any of my clothes by the time I'd leave (of course, there is Saks Fifth Avenue just a few blocks away off State Street!).

I agree, the rooms are a bit pricey, but so were other bed & breakfasts around the area. I also enjoyed staying there because it is located in a quiet section away from the crowded streets (but still within walking distance to many places). We also enjoyed not being around screaming little brats and chattery bridesmaids you normally find roaming around the large resorts such as the Four Season (okay - I have to put in my comparison).

There were a lot of other wonderful things to say about this inn that I could continue writing about...but you'll just have to experience that for yourself!

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank Rebecca Z
Miami, FL
Reviewed April 12, 2006

The staff was so friendly and attentive. There were so many little treats to be found from the heart-shaped cakes they left in our room to the fresh squeezed lemonade and cookies they had at anytime of the day in the dining room. It was beautifully decorated and cozy. It was very romantic, we got breakfast in bed. I felt very pampered and especially liked the privacy we had, which is something you can't say for all bed and breakfasts.

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank Mabel-6
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 7, 2006

I could write a book about this place...but it's late at night...so I'll be brief.

In short, Simpson House Inn is *super expensive* but **fabulous.**

The service was top-notch from the moment I arrived until the moment I left. It's small enough that the service can be extremely personalized -- even better than what you would find at The Peninsula-Beverly Hills, for example.

My room was over the old carriage house, and it looked like something out of Sunset magazine. It was terrific.

They do not serve lunch or dinner, but breakfast-delivered-to-your-room is available. I took advantage of it, eating on my balcony. The food was OUTSTANDING...and the view of the gardens from my balcony was like a scene out of a movie.

I can't praise Simpson House Inn enough.

My only complaints are that they require a two-night minimum stay (at least on weekends) and the prices are extremely high. If you are willing to shell out that much cash, however, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 1999