“If I'm going to risk my life, I'd like a bit of assurance from the staff!!”

Skydive Santa Barbara
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Skydiving company owned and operated by Dave Hughes, the British Skydiving Champion in 1986. Offers Tandem Skydiving to first time jumpers and Assisted Free fall progression for people who want to learn to jump on their own.
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Staff was incredibly rude and unhelpful--my concerns over the condition of the equipment and safety risks were met with bothered and impatient responses from staff. I decided against going out with them, as I did not feel confident that they had my best interest in mind.

8  Thank cmanthomas

Reviewed September 12, 2011

IF you are visiting in the Santa Barbara area and are looking for a great family memory you must skydive with this company. About a 45 minute drive north in beautiful scenery. We reserved the early jump and had to wait for the cloud cover to burn off. Other than that, everything was great. The jumpers who went tandem with my family were great. The check in process, complete with video that tells you you could die (!), was smooth.
Pricey for husband and two sons but wouldn't trade a minute! DO IT!

5  Thank lfgart
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I went to Sky Dive Santa Barbara today for my first tandem sky diving experience. Was absolutely worth all the driving hassle from LA. I strongly recommend everyone to try this once in their life time. About Sky Dive Santa Barbara:

facts:
1. My instructor was Chris. Great guy, very friendly, clearly explains everything you need to know and a fun person to team up with for this experience. He knew what he was doing and that is what you need when you jump with someone from 13000 ft.
2. Front desk was quite professional - at least I have not experienced anything particularly disrespectful or unprofessional. But then again, you are not going there to make friends. Every person has a task to complete for your jump and they do it well.
3. They charge $69 for video and + 39 for photos....or $69 for photos and $39 for video...basically they rip you off on the video and photo part. Which is very annoying. I got a video only...It is a nice video yes but basically a rip off for what it is. Bunch of photos should not cost the same as a video does if you want to just get photos...
4. After you check in at the front desk you are seated at this dark, airless room with a TV on which a video instruction plays. The video seems to be dating back from 1910s or something. Made me curious to know who runs that place.
5. Expect to spend at least 3-4 hours...

7  Thank magnetar
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I just jumped this morning, and it was wonderful! Great people at the desk, all timely & efficient, you do have to sign your life away & absolve them of all responsibility, but totally worth it!
My instructor, Chris, was great ~ he explained things well, was funny& I felt safe with him, all while taking stills & video with a wrist cam for me!
The view was beautiful & the landing easy & graceful!
You get a certificate that says you "willingly left a perfecly good airplane at 13,000 feet" Pretty fun!
Look for what is great, and you get great things! : ) Go for it!

PS It is actually 40 miles north of SB in Lompoc

6  Thank travellingyogini7
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I have never been skydiving before, so did not know what to expect from this experience. Called and spoke with the people working for Skydiving Santa Barbara on a number of occasions to make sure we understood what to do, bring, etc...

Our first trip was cancelled due to weather, which was to be expected, as it was a bad day to dive. Therefore, we re-scheduled for the next Sunday and drove the three hours to get to the airport for our jump. Upon arrival, we noticed there were a ton of people waiting around. When I asked the lady running the front desk what we should do, she had us sign waivers, sit and watch a video and then wait. We waited for hours. I guess there was a point in the day that the planes were grounded for 1 hour, but we were 4 hours behind schedule due to them being unorganized and overbooked.

We were told that we could go up on a plane soon, but now could no longer get the full video package, as there was not enough room on the plane for the photographer also, and they would not be able to get us back out again that evening if we didn't take the flight offered. So we sacrificed the footage to be able to all fly together. This didn't happen either, as when we were suited up and heading for the plane, the diver who was taking our second passenger (the person whose birthday we were doing this for in the first place) said she no longer felt like diving and now they couldn't go together. There was nothing that could be changed at this point, as our first passenger was already on the plane waiting for his partner.

The staff could not have been less caring of what happened, and treated us as if we were nothing to them in the grand scheme of things. They, after much discussion, did finally give us a $20 discount on the photos (which is the least they could do). Upon waiting or our b-day boy to finally jump BY HIMSELF, we went back to the hanger to wait for the video. We were told this would take no more than 20 min as our first passenger had now jumped over an hour ago. We waited more than 1 hour only to find they had done all the other videos for all the jumpers after our first passenger and hadn't even started ours! We finally had to leave to take the three hour ride home with nothing to show of the trip. Hoping they will actually mail us the DVD as promised, but with the level of service we had so far, I doubt we will ever see the footage that we paid for.

Heed this warning. Do not use this place. There are so many others out there to choose from, and I would not want anyone to have this terrible experience with office staff who truly don't care that you have a good experience.

Sadly, the instructors were actually wonderful, but in the end, couldn't make this a good experience since everything else was SO HORRIBLE.

11  Thank bbartosh