“Weekend luch”

Ranked #104 of 563 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2013

A delicious menu of specialty items set in manicured and stylish setting. The service was excellent, prompt and knowledgeable.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We loved the beautifully prepared, delicious food from a bygone age. We did not phase them when we asked for a pasta not on the menu
We did not like the suffocatingly effusive service

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My friend and I went to lunch at the Stonehouse last week, and it was one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. To me, for a great dining experience, three things must happen: excellent food, service and ambiance. The Stonehouse knocked it out of the ballpark on all three counts. We each had the fixed price meals (with great options). After the wonderful lunch, we were invited to walk around the grounds of the lovely resort -- the perfect way to end a wonderful meal. Even though we were the last people in the restaurant before it closed (for the break before dinner, it seemed), we were not rushed at all. If you're looking for a very special meal, this is the place.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

As soon as you arrive at this place and look at the amazing lush gardens and terraces and at the beautiful building you say wow! And wow! again as you enter the building and discover the warm interior, all of wood and stone, with its crackling fireplace, and the lovely dining room and oceanview deck...

The lunch menu is relatively limited, which may however be a guarantee for fresh ingredients... Food is actually excellent, as are some of the local wines which the waiter is pleased to recommend. And service is top class, discrete but diligent.

This place just looks to me like the quintessence of the Californian quality of life... no wonder why the likes of the Kennedy's, Winston Churchill, Somerset Maugham, Audrey Hepburn or Laurence Olivier used to come to the San Ysidro ranch! The place has of course been renovated since those times, and in what a beautiful fashion!

One of those places you must see at least once in your lifetime!

1  Thank Lablanche
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The reviews will tell you that this is one of the very best restaurants in the Santa Barbara - Montecito area. San Ysidro Ranch is an exceptionally beautiful property, but do yourself a huge favor. Have a drink, admire the scenery, but do not eat here.

My wife invited me for a very special, romantic dinner to celebrate my 55th birthday. With great anticipation we went to the Stonehouse at San Ysidro Ranch. We have eaten in some of finest Michelin-starred restaurants in the world and we had fairly high expectations here.

We were seated outside and generally the service was pretty slow, but we did not think too much about it at the time, as the place was quite busy on a Saturday night,

BUT LISTEN TO THIS. For our main course, my wife ordered the halibut and I ordered the lamb. After our quite delicious appetizer courses, we waited for quite some time and then a waiter came and brought my lamb entree and walked away. NOTHING FOR MY WIFE. After about five minutes, our waitress appeared and asked if there was anything else that she could bring, and I said "Yes, my wife's halibut".

It quickly became apparent that my wife's order had not even been passed to the kitchen. After another ten minutes, they apologetically brought it but of course, with my wife's encouragement, I had long finished my lamb course. They made some excuses, but honestly my wife's entree showed up almost 15 minutes after mine. Inexcusable enough if it should occur at Denny's (and it wouldn't), but at the San Ysidro Ranch?

BUT LISTEN TO THIS. In their great haste to cover up their mistake, they profoundly undercooked my wife's halibut. We are not talking medium rare, nor rare, but pretty much raw in the middle. Quite unbelievable.

Again they apologized and offered to take my wife's halibut off the bill. Too little, too late. The special birthday evening was completely ruined. This is one of those colossal screw-ups where the only gesture ought to be "We have spoiled everything; please consider your entire meal on us."

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS THE SAN YSIDRO RANCH, and the prices here are the highest in Santa Barbara County. In an area with so many excellent restaurants, you do not need to go here for dinner. Drinks, sure, but go elsewhere for your meal. Do not waste your money.

2  Thank Waterloonie