“A hidden gem in Santa Barbara”

Karpeles Manuscript Library
Ranked #85 of 180 things to do in Santa Barbara
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The Karpeles Manuscript Library in Santa Barbara is a hidden gem. Admission is free. My daughters and I have visited many times over the years. One has the opportunity to see original documents, the real deal. There is a section with manuscripts from great music composers as well as from figures in US and world history. There are special exhibits, as well. The museum is beautiful and easy to visit since it is in downtown Santa Barbara, a half block off State Street, the main street in downtown SB.

Norman Cohan, the curator, twice over the years created a game in which my middle school aged daughters and their friends walked around the museum answering questions related to some of the museum's original documents. A bit of history and a lot of fun. Thank you, Norman.

5  Thank Loveworldtravel
"exhibits"
in 4 reviews
"information"

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I should begin by saying that I collect letters written by composers, so I was excited to visit this museum. Besides the manuscripts and letters written by classical composers, the museum offers several items from their collection. When my son and I went, there was an exhibit devoted to the works of Mark Twain. I would recommend this free site highly to anyone with an interest in the arts, literature, history or science.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Based on the name many people may not venture inside but trust me, you'll leave there satisfied that you didn't waste your time or money.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Small, quaint library showcasing manuscripts, artwork, and models. The admission is free and restroom facilities are available. I enjoyed seeing all the manuscripts pertaining to Mark Twain. My hubby enjoyed seeing all the items pertaining to space exploration. Our visit lasted 30 minutes.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a terrific pit stop barely off the beaten path (one block off State Street). If history is your thing - go. There's enough to see but not so much that it's overwhelming. Google the website for the particulars. I breezed through in about 30 minutes and I'm not a "run through this museum asap" type.

1  Thank Jan P