“Great food, fun entertainment”

Avila's El Ranchito
Ranked #26 of 690 Restaurants in Santa Ana
Cuisines: Mexican
Oregon City, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, fun entertainment”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We enjoyed the food and the entertainment on the Friday night that we visited El Ranchito. Our waitress was very helpful, attentive, and accommodating. The mariachi band was great. My only suggestion is for the restaurant to use less salt in their recipes, expecially the rice and beans. I am not able to eat much salt due to health issues. Most mexican restaurants use way too much salt.

• Visited March 2012

Santa Ana, California
“The ambiance of this restaurant is lovely, especially at a holiday”
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Our nonprofit had a function at Avila's El Ranchito Restaurant at the Santa Ana location on First Street. It was wonderful. The restaurant was decorated for Christmas and so we had to do no decorations ourselves. There was tons of parking, so the attendees had no difficulty with that issue. The dinner was buffet, so we didn't have to worry about the wait-persons struggling through the tables. The food was very very good, and the vegetables tasted especially fresh and crisp. The restaurant is laid out with a long hallway and then individual rooms off the hallway. Our group took up an entire room at the end. But as we walked through the restaurant we could tell that no matter where you sat, if you came here alone, you would not feel lost in a cavernous room . . . each place had an intimate feel to it. We enjoyed our evening very much.

• Visited December 2011
Orange County, CA
“Better than you think!”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This place looks run down but it's comfortable and the food is great. I visit here frequently because my in-laws LOVE this place. They frequently call on Sundays and say meet us at El Ranchito! I like to,order from the specials. My sister in law gets the same thing EVERY time but I like to go with the specials. I am rarely disappointed. All in all a good value and a good dinner.

Traverse City, Michigan
“Good, not great, Mexican food”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

My wife and I were flying in from out of town and had lunch there with my niece and her family based on her recommendation. We came away unimpressed.

I had the carne asada tacos--bland, tough, and lacking only a mild, smoky flavor. My wife chose the fish tacos. Afterwards she would say if she hadn't ordered them, she wouldn't be sure what the tacos were actually filled with. They didn't taste bad, they just didn't match up to other fish tacos she's had.

The salsa is a little thin, though appropriately spicy, and helped by a good amount of cilantro. The chips were likely commercial one, and certainly not prepared on-site. The typical Mexican side dishes were included with the entrees, which with my order had rice (quite tasty), refried beans (better than average), and guacamole (passable).

The margaritas were flavorful, but not particularly strong.

With so many Mexican restaurants in the area, there has to be something better. You won't be turned off by Avila's, you'll just be underwhelmed.

• Visited September 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I only gave it 4 stars because they don't always have the fresh homemade tortillas like the Costa Mesa location.”
Reviewed September 2, 2008