“This hotel made us feel special.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Santa Ana Orange County Airport
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I booked this hotel for our one year anniversary and at first I was a little worried. The TA rating was lower than I would have liked but I had faith. Being a Hilton employee I have a very high standard for my hotel experiences and I have to tell you, I was not disappointed.

First the hotel is gorgeous. It is an older building but for some reason people on this site have an issue with that. The inner atrium was beautiful and the waterfalls and koi ponds made us so happy. We later had dinner right next to a waterfall and it was perfect.

We first got to the hotel and was checked in by a very friendly Rubi. She called over a manager during the check in process and we were a little worried, but everything was fine and we went to our rooms.

The room was clean and beautiful, despite the older design. We took a shower and started to get cuddly for a nap when there was a knock at the door. It was a server from the hotel with two slices of (delicious) cheesecake and a bottle of wine- free from the hotel. It included a note wishing us a great anniversary. This was above-and-beyond what we were expecting.

We later went down for the managers reception and were greeted with smiles and a warm, comfortable experience. The drinks were strong and plentiful and the snacks were good. (They are free, so stop complaining that the nachos are bad). We had our drinks at a classic Ms. Pac Man/Galaga arcade table which was awesome.

The next night we had dinner at the hotel restaurant and it was delicious. The waiter and bartender were more than helpful and friendly and made our anniversary even more special.

This hotel is a beautiful gem of a hotel and I would stay there every weekend if I could.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 8, 2010

there are 2 reviews here:LEISURE and Business

Business:

STAY IN A LOW FLOOR. Elevators are super slow. One side of the hotel has 2 elevators. The other, closest to the reception desk, only has 2 elevators. (4 times I decided to go up to the 10th floor WALKING instead of waiting for the elevator. On 2 of those occasions I got to the 10th floor faster than the elevators)

Noise: Ask for a room in the west side of the hotel. (Side where
there are 3 elevators), The 55 freeway is half a block from hotel.

PARKING: Free and plenty

5 minutes driving distance from John Wayne airport (non-Rush hour)
Great business center with free printing. Beware of super slow internet connection.
Pool is decent size (Indoors and overbleached) and heated whirpool for up to 8 people..
Rooms are spacious and a bit outdated. Great work desks, uncomfortable work chairs. Wireless is not free. I recommend you use your own wireless card.
Hotel is great for informal business meetings in common areas. There is a manager's reception early evenings with free drinks, but disgusting nachos. Subpar snacks.

Mornings have a decent free breakfast with cooked to order omelettes. Limites selection of fruit. (Bananas, Watermelon, oranges or cantaloupe.)

FITNESS CENTER is adequate with free weights and a view of the pool. Very good treadmills and well furnished.

ROOM Service was prompt and the quality of their salads and steaks is good, but not the best.

LEISURE:
The hotel is definitely comfortable and great for families wit hsmall kids or even teens. There a re a few malls within 15 minbutes driving distance.

Weekends.... Hotel is often overrun with kids on group trips to Disney or other OC attractions.
Bufffet breakfast is ok, but if you have time, go somewhere else, the line for food on weekends is about 10 minutes. Biufft is like a Denny's but the pancakes are not good.
If you have kids, they will have a blast at the pool. So, if you need a break from the daily routine of household chores...
Get your hubby/wife out to this place...
Take long naps, have the kids play the nintendo on the tv or go to the pool... Relax.
Huntington Beach and Costa Mesa are 20 minutes away.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lalotp
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I stayed at this ES twice recently and both times the room smells of mold and mildew (both rooms on 5th floor). My colleague also stayed in this hotel and his room smelled of mold and mildew (7th floor and 9th floor). I will not come return to this hotel.

The front desk staff was very nice.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2010

This was my second time staying at this hotel. Was last there 5 years ago - liked it then and the same now. On both occasions travelled with my family, including two young children. Hotel is attractive inside and out, always kept clean. Rooms are spacious. Hot and cold bufftet breakfast included. Happy Hour is at 5:30 pmand they put out nachos, salsa and other snacks, plus complimentary drinks. There is also a restaurant and bar inside. Decent swimming pool (cool) and hot tub. Very basic fitness room with a few good cardio equipment. Complimentary shuttle service is available to anywhere in vicinity. Business centre with free internet access (can pay for in room internet access). Management and staff all around were excellent and friendly. Hotel is within 30 min. drive to Laguna Beach, Newport Beach and Huntington Beach. Also good shopping nearby. But about a 45 min. drive in good traffic to airport and LA.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2010

OK, where do I start? I n Santa Ana on business, First two weeks stayed at La Quinta Next Door. Decided to "Upgrade" BIG MISTAKE! Starters Hotel was built pre 1984 has has no earhquake engineering or provisions ( Nice in Southern Cal) Room very dated and dark color scheme dark browns ETC. Elevators SLOW unreliable, Lights burned out on annunciator panels both in the lobby and elevator car. Elevators stop on floor then "HOME" until they align and open the doors. Nickle and dime you for everything Internet access is $6 a and slow ( was fast and free at La Quinta) Business center PAY TO PRINT (was free at La Quinta) Scanner inoperative (Worked fine at La Quinta) Parking spaces SMALL have fullsize rental car and had to enter on pssenger side due to someone else parking too close! ( Plenty of room at la quinta) Restaurant Charges "Room fee of $3.00 and "Delivery Fee of $10 for room service. Bottom line STAY AT LA QUINTA!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Stayed here Thursday - Sunday. Regrettably, I didn't read the TripAdvisor reviews before reserving. This is a very old-style Embassy Suites. Interior and rooms are dated and the room design poor. We stayed with our adult son. The bathroom entrance was inside the bedroom, so he had to enter our bedroom to use the BR. Very awkward. BR was very small. Airconditioning was poor - still had "old school" non-digital thermostat. Furniture and appointments were average. Breakfast and afternoon reception quality was very good. Layout of buffet awkward. Elevators were horrible - very slow and, on our side, not always working. Trays and pizza boxes were left outside our room for more than 24 hours.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2010

First impression was wonderful. The lobby and the atmosphere is very nice. The front desk was very attentive and the customer service was A+. After the whole check in process is where I became rather disapointed with this hotel. 1 of the 2 front elevators was broken and we were on the 9th floor. Convienantly enough they have 3 elevators toward the back of the hotel, but with all the luggage we decided to wait for the front elevator to come down. 15 minutes later we were able to go up to our room. The rooms were a bit older and in need of a remodel, but otherwise, pretty clean. The bathroom was very cramped. And I ordered extra towels on the first day, which they never brought, I ordered extra towels on day 2, and asked them to change the sheets of the bed because they seemed a little dirty, which they never did. I ended up finally getting extra towels after I left a note for the maid and I got my sheets changed on the 3rd day. All in all it is a subpar hotel, though it is in a very convienant location and the value was outstanding. I guess I just feel that being a big fan of embassy suites in general and a VIP member, I truly expected more. I was disappointed enough to consider staying elsewhere next time I visit.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Ana
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Santa Ana/Orange County Airport
Holiday Inn Santa Ana-Orange County Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Irvine - Orange County Airport
Country Inn and Suites - John Wayne Airport
DoubleTree Club by Hilton Orange County Airport

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Santa Ana Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!