“Rooms just OK, but drivable to beach, - price is great”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Santa Ana Orange County Airport
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 28, 2009

We were looking for an emergency get out of town 2-night stay near beach Memorial Day weekend. Other hotels were too costly. This was very good at under $120/night for first night and $110 second night.

Hotel grounds are beautiful. Kids like breakfast, Koi and turtles in the water inside hotel.

Bathrooms tiny, and could use improvement. Not elegant.

Watching airplanes land on south side of hotel was fun for kids.

Free parking was great - thank you

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Santa Ana Orange County Airport

Reviewed February 25, 2009

This is a very good Embassy Suites (I have stayed in several so far), very nice on the inside with a beautiful lobby and clean rooms. Staff is friendly, breakfast is first-class and happy hour offers more snacks than other Embassies I've stayed in. There is plenty of free parking. Location is good, just off Hwy 55, minutes from John Wayne Airport. Will stay here again for sure.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2009

My family and I stayed at this Embassy after Christmas. The front desk was not friendly. We arrived at 6pm to check in and was not greeted with a hello or smile. The lady at the counter gave me the room key and we went to see our room. Oh my gosh! right when we opened the door to the room it had a very very nasty mildew smell. It was very unbearable!...This is room 615. I promptly went downstairs to ask for another room. Luckily they had another room available. This room was not as smelly but it still did have a mildew smell. It must be the carpets. The room itself was clean and bathroom is very small. The door to the bathroom opens inwards so that blocked off some space. My family had breakfast every morning which had a good variety. There were cereal, milk, juice, cofee, muffins, danishes, toast, sausage, bacon, eggs, pancake, cooked to order omlets....lots of variety. My family saved lots of breakfast money eating at the hotel. The problem is that no one ever bothered to ask for room key, therefore, anyone off the streets could've had free breakfast. There was a snack in the afternoon that consisted of drinks, chips, nachos and crackers. We left for disneyland all day and when we got back the front desk did not acknowledge us at all. One night two employees were arguing amongst themselves behind the front desk. We walked passed and neither looked up to greet us. I thought that was very unprofessional. There was ample free parking. The lobby and atrium was very nice. We paid $120 per night which is very reasonable. Will I stay there again? maybe.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ashabee
Reviewed November 1, 2008

I spent the past week (Mon-Fri) in Santa Ana for business. I travel frequently and have stayed at a lot of Hilton Properties. I really don't see what people do not like about this hotel. The suites are so roomy, the free breakfast is wonderful, the happy hour with drinks and snacks is awesome, the staff are friendly and helpful and the atrium is beautiful!! If you want some negatives, my room was a little cold, the fan in the bathroom sounds like a jumbo jet and one of the outlets didn't work at first but....oh well, I got over it! The hotel was very apologetic about the troubles, sent me up a small room heater, fixed my electrical problems and gave me a free movie and popcorn for my inconvienence. I would definately here stay again!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2008

I have stayed at several of the other motels along Hotel Terrace Drive and the Embassy Suites is clearly the top of the line. You are going to pay significantly more (roughly $50 a night) but if you have multiple people in your party then it is probably worth it. It seemed like there were several youth sports teams staying there when we went. They were probably putting 5 or 6 kids in a room - which you can do with two double/queen beds plus a pull out sofa sleeper. The room furnishings were in excellent condition - I must have been staying in a different room than the other reviewers who complained about theirs. The breakfast is MUCH better than at the nearby La Quinta or Comfort Suites. There was one major problem. On Saturday night they run a "Mystery Dinner Theater" in the restaurant. That seemed to be why the parking lot was jammed full of cars with nowhere to park. After 15 minutes of searching, and no street parking allowed nearby, I ended up having to park in the La Quinta lot next door and hope they didn't care or notice (they didn't). I took off one star from my rating for this. Other than that I'd highly recommend this hotel. If you are, like me, coming to visit your kids at college (several schools are close by) then the "suite-style" rooms make it easy for them to join you for a couple of nights.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank malandinara
Reviewed August 25, 2008

We are a frequent customer of Embassy Suites, and this property is not what we expected. Upon check into our non-smoking room, I noticed burn marks on the sofa and many places in the carpeted rooms. I promptly called the front desk to inform them, to which they seemed uninterested.

Avoid rooms that face the freeway due to the noise, especially avoid room 711, as the sliding glass door is defective and all freeway traffic noise comes in and kept me from having a peaceful night sleep. I wedged the door closed with towels and slept with earplugs.

Weight room was an fitness center was outstanding and very clean.

The above statements were sent to Embassy Suites Santa Ana by email, and to date I have heard no reply.

Property is dated and could use some updating, especially to remove damp odor.

Parking was adequate with the abundance of similar quality motels nearby, easy freeway access, close to South Coast Plaza and O.C. Airport.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I am sorry to say this was the most disappointing Embassy Suite I have ever stayed at. When you first arrive you are deceived by the beautiful entrance way. Once you are checked in the nightmare begins. The rooms smell, feel damp and are in need of a lot of updating. We chose this hotel because of previous Embassy Suite experiences. This one does not measure up at all. It should not be called an Embassy suite. The breakfast was just ok. The food was average and the staff was rude and very unfriendly. I have never stayed at a hotel before that unplugs every type of machine at exactly the time breakfast stops serving food. My son wanted a glass of milk at about 2 minutes after they stopped serving breakfast and all the machines were turned off. I am sorry I did not take pictures to share. We also stayed here because we read that they recently updated the rooms. Wrong....the bathroom was redone but the carpet was old, stained and the furniture was worn out and cheap. The beds were ok...however, the sheets felt damp and the pillows were lumpy. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. the worst part is how much we paid to stay there over $200.00 a night.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Ana
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Santa Ana/Orange County Airport
Country Inn and Suites - John Wayne Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Irvine - Orange County Airport
Holiday Inn Santa Ana-Orange County Airport
DoubleTree Club by Hilton Orange County Airport

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Santa Ana Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!