“Definitely not my favorite”

George's Thai Bistro
Ranked #31 of 687 Restaurants in Santa Ana
Cuisines: Thai
Glide, Oregon
“Definitely not my favorite”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I've eaten here several times and have never really been impressed. Had the chicken curry the last two times and both times the chicken was overcooked. OC needs more Thai restaurants. Maybe some competition would improve George's. Restaurant itself could use some updating and improvements.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank mike19444

Rancho Santa Margarita, California
“One of the best Thai Restaurants in Orange County”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

George's ambiance is getting a little tired but the food and service are still great. The place is clean but outdated decor. I have visited 5 or 6 times and no matter what I order it is well prepared, fresh, and authentic Thai Cuisine. This time it was Spicy Basil Fried Rice with Beef, Squid Salad, and Thai Fried Chicken. Other favorites are Drunken Noodles, Thai Coffee, and Tom Kha Kai Soup. It is a little off the beaten path in an aging strip center a couple of blocks away from South Coast Plaza Shopping Complex. I will repeat when in the area.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank SOCGAC
Los Angeles
“Quick and Ok, but not Great Thai”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My sisters and I were out and about near the South Coast Plaza and were starving. We saw George's and thought we'd give it a shot. It was mid-afternoon, and there were not a lot of patrons inside, but that isn't always a reliable guide to a restaurant's goodness. We were seated right away, and the restaurant would get a 6/10 for me with regard to cleanliness and decor appeal. It was just ok. Restrooms could use some help. The menu seemed to have typical Thai restaurant selections, so that was fine. Once we ordered, we were able to tell our server what level of spiciness we desired. I'm not a huge spicy eater, so I selected level 2, and there was just enough kick to give me what I wanted, but not too much. Perfect. My sister, who CAN take the heat, ordered a 5 (this is out of 10, being the hottest, by the way). When it arrived, it was WAAAAAY too hot for her. She sent it back, but had to flag down another server because after delivering our meal, our server never came to check on us. They did take it back, she re-selected her heat level, and all was well. That being said, our waitress never did come back to check on us, see if we needed refills..nothing. It's certainly not because they were busy, much to the contrary. I think there were only two-three other diners in the entire restaurant, so there was no excuse for such shabby service.

The meal was certainly fine, nothing to write home about, but not super memorable either. The chicken Pad Thai I ordered used dark meat only, I wish they would have had an option for white meat, or at least a combo. Affordable and fine, but I'm certain that I'll probably never return.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank hugs4u
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Good and simple Thai food”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Whenever I'm in the area, I always stop by George's Thai Bistro. They offer popular dishes such as Drunken Noodles, Pad Sa Ew, Basil Fried Rice, and Tom Yum Soup. Prices are very reasonable and average about $9 per dish. The spice level is from 1 to 10 stars. They are very serious about the spice level. I enjoy spicy food and an 8 star is too spicy for me so I usually order a 6 stars for my dish.

• Visited December 2012
North Dakota
“Old Fashioned Good Food, Relaxed Service, Nothing Fancy”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

This restaurant is in an outdated setting but clean and comfortable for an informal, inexpensive and delicious meal. The servers seem to be family members or otherwise untrained, or at least not Americanized, and do not know the fine points of how to wait tables. For some diners, this will be a "plus" -- but for others, it may be misunderstood as inattentiveness. I think the waitresses are trying to be polite in allowing customers to linger over a meal without seeming to hover around their table. During our lunch, "George" came over to the table next to us and had a friendly, cheerful talk with regulars. I would go back!

• Visited March 2012