“An Excellent Place to Stay”

Courtyard Costa Mesa South Coast Metro
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
Reviewed January 28, 2008

My husband and I originally booked a room at the Anaheim Econo Lodge. After a terrible experience there, we found a room available the next day at the Marriott in Santa Ana. This was a wonderful hotel. The rooms were spotless. The bed was very comfortable. There was a modern digital thermostat which allowed us to keep the room temperature exactly as we liked. There was always delicious fresh, free coffee at the check-in desk. The staff was very friendly. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It was an excellent value for the money.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 31, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for one night in December 2007 while attending a concert at the nearby Galaxy Theatre. It's convenient to the 405 Fwy. Nice hotel but I found the room (king with a sleeper sofa) on the small side, although it was otherwise comfortable. Also we could hear quite a bit of noise from the hall and neighboring rooms. No mini fridge but I think that's typical for Courtyards. No free continental breakfast: they have a buffet breakfast which was good but expensive (almost $11.00). There's a small concession area near the front desk where you can buy snacks and even beer. I saw two fast food restaurants within walking distance but other restaurants require a short drive or a longer walk. Staff were polite, the grounds were clean. Note that the Marriott website calls this hotel the Courtyard Costa Mesa South Coast Metro but it's in Santa Ana, not Costa Mesa.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BeniLana
Reviewed December 19, 2007

The hotel grounds are attractive and clean. Each day of my 5-night stay, I observed grounds staff engaged in a variety of tasks. There is ample parking available on three sides of the property. The location of the Courtyard Inn is central to various shopping and dining locations, as well as the airport. It is essential to have a car, however, as it can be several blocks to a couple of miles to any shopping or dining. In addition, there is no shuttle for the airport, requiring an $18 cab fare each way.

The staff at the hotel were great. Check-in personnel were helpful and friendly. On the first day of my stay, I was tied up in preparing reports and asked that housekeeping only leave fresh towels; the housekeeping staff asked three times if I as sure that everything was okay. Each day following, housekeeping kept my room spotless.

The room itself was typical Courtyard; a little small, but with several nice touches such as a large work area, ethernet internet access and a very comfortable bed. The thermostat seemed to have a mind of its own, however. Setting the controls for 71 degrees would result in a very cool room during the day and a rather warm room at night.

The greatest difficulty I experienced had to do with noise. Street noise from traffic was very pronounced. In addition, the room door did not filter sound from the hall very well. On two separate occasions, I answered a knock on my door only to find someone knocking at the door across the hall. It was also possible to hear conversation in the hall from several doors away.

Overall, I had a pleasant stay for a business trip. If I were looking for a place to stay for a pleasure trip, I might look for something a little closer or upscale.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank DrDMC
Reviewed December 14, 2007

won this place with a $50 bid plus taxes one night via priceline. It's about a 10 minute drive to any freeway. Checkin at 5pm, few cars in the lot. The clerk was fast and gave me a choice of four floors, which to me seems unusual for a priceline stay. Also, she ask for my Marriott Rewards number and I did not have it on me. She actually searched it via zip code, don't know if I will get any points, but was surprised she went through with all the work. Room was clean and looked like this place was no more than ten years old. Coffee and tea bags in the lobby and there were cookies too. There was a lobby computer and I tried to use it, but it was slow, so I gave up. Oh, I ask if there was a fridge and microwave in the room and the clerk said all fourth floor rooms have a fridge and microwave could be bought up, I declined, just was asking, but this place is customer oriented. Other reviews complain about not being close to restaurants, yes, you should rent a car if you stay here, but don't you need a car if you are in Orange and LA County?

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 13, 2006

My son and I were visiting town for an extended weekend while visiting family. I have nothing but good things to say about the staff and the room. The room was spacious, the beds comfortable, and the staff was friendly and accomodating. We had breakfast with my family every morning so we didn't get to check out the breakfast buffet. It was also a little chilly so we didn't swim but the pool area looked beautiful. The hotel was 5 minutes from John Wayne and maybe 10-15 from the Disney area via the nearby freeways. Also nearby are restaurants, movie theaters and South Coast Plaza. I highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank fink369
Reviewed May 26, 2006

This particular Courtyard is one of the older, original prototype designed ones with the outdoor pool in the center courtyard along with a partially enclosed jacuzzi.
I had not been to the hotel in several years and found it in very nice shape with what looked like a recent remodel. For being at least 15 years old, the hotel looks sparkling. Rooms, hallways and grounds were all perfect. The only downsides here are that the rooms are very small, say, compared to a similarly priced Hilton Garden Inn, and the location is not exactly perfect. There's nowhere to walk to - you're pretty much trapped at the hotel unless you want to get in the car. For those who are traveling between San Diego and Los Angeles, it's a good stopping off point and it's very close to the 405 freeway, IKEA, and South Coast Plaza.
The staff was all wonderful with no exceptions. I don't often see that at the moderately priced chains anymore so it was quite refreshing. The onsite restaurant currently only serves breakfast, and for $8.95 it's not a bad buffet and very convenient. As with all Courtyards, there is free internet access both in the rooms and in the lobby along with a free laser printer. Marriott has also added the small "market" for sundries in the lobby which was nice to have.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank Kelly O
Reviewed November 27, 2005

The room looked recently remodeled and the bed was comfortable but it didn’t seem to matter because the windows didn’t do much to block the sound of traffic from the busy street. Car alarms from the parking lot below also awoke us in the early a.m. hours.

We were also given a “non-smoking” room but when we entered it, it smelled of smoke and there was an ash tray and matches on the desk. After our long trip, we were too tired to complain so that is partially our fault. If you hate the smell of smoke, make sure you verify that your room is located no where near smoking rooms during check in.

• Stayed: November 2005
Holiday Inn Santa Ana-Orange County Airport
Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa
2 mi away
Courtyard Huntington Beach Fountain Valley

Been to Courtyard Costa Mesa South Coast Metro? Share your experiences!