“I'll be back...”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd Street
Description: Little Sparrow is a market driven neighborhood bistro housed in a historic-chic and inviting space. Bright and bold flavors in a romantic atmosphere create an exciting new restaurant concept nestled in Santa Ana's downtown artist village neighborhood. Dinner service at Little Sparrow is fine dining in a semi-casual California bistro. The dining room is light, open, and intimate. Great for a romantic dinner or night out with friends and family. The bar, which feels more like a Paris lounge, features a large selection of house and classic craft cocktails as well as a focused selection of wines and beer. During the daytime, Little Sparrow is a local cafe featuring fresh baked goodies, great coffee, and a variety of hand-crafted sandwiches. Little Sparrow offers eat-in to take out for lunch. Available for private parties.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

So glad that the restaurant scene in Santa Ana and Orange County keeps coming up with original, small restaurants. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The food was very good. I had the fried chicken sandwich which was a little rich for me just because it was fried with the skin on and I'm not used to that, but the simple arugula salad was perfect with it and the fries were heavenly! My vegetarian friend had the tabbouleh salad and pronounced it "delicious". We split the drunken brownie for dessert which was rich and decadent. I'm an iced tea drinker at lunch and am happy to report that their black tea is very nice indeed. I can't wait to go for breakfast which I have on good report is fabulous!

1  Thank Manray1230

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Definitely overdue in my review of this great little restaurant located right across the street from Santa Ana City Hall.

I came in first for the chicken breast which was cooked moist and to perfection. At that time, they also served a very tasty panna cotta.

However the most memorable meal I have had here was when we ordered their cheeseburger with Belgian, double-deep fried French Fries and their delicious, freshly out of the oven Rosemary madeleines! The best I have ever had in many years (well, the Rosemary madeleines were the very first ones I have ever tried). I will definitely come back here again for those particular dishes.

What's cool about the Little Sparrow is that one section is the restaurant which, through a hallway, goes to a second section which is a bar. Both have a different look and appeal to them, so it's kind of nice to go from one setting to another, without having to drive anywhere :)

So if you are hungry and want to get drinks later on in a different setting, all you have to do is walk from the casual, cozy restaurant, through the hallway and you'll find yourself in a modernized, 18th century style loungy bar. I'm not much of an alcohol drinker so can't say much about the drinks.

Customer service here is pretty good as the waiters are very friendly. So if you happen to be in Santa Ana, do definitely go check out this little cute place!

1  Thank annamx
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Came here for lunch after a 1:30 PM court appearance on the recommendation of a friend. Got there about 2:15 and was the only customer, but warmly greeted by staff. Pork Belly banh mi, muffaletta and hamburger all looked like good choices. My server talked me into the burger. Of course, had to have fries with that too. The fries were savory and a little greasy, just the way I like them. The burger was also very tasty. The cheese and other toppings made a pleasant melange. The bun was a little chewier than necessary, but the appearance and flavor of the bun was nice. Had a chocolate chip cookie for dessert. Frankly, I make them better myself, but I'll try one of the other desserts and one of the other sandwiches next time I go.

1  Thank ChrisBlank_FNS
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We visited Little Sparrow for dinner on Saturday night. I had previously researched the menu for my selections and decided to have only small plates so that I could really get a feel for what the restaurant could do. I was very disappointed in the octopus offering as it came with 4 small pieces of octopus on top of a heap of cannellini beans. So the only flavor was beans, the proportion was off-putting. We also ordered the risotto which was mashed over a large dinner plate and was tasteless. The mussels were ok, not flavorful and the House made charcuterie was also bland.

I wanted to love Little Sparrow and will try it again in 3 or 4 months to see if things have turned for the better. I believe they are on the right track but still have a way to go.

1  Thank P8483TCalanr
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This review is only for the bar and not the food.

I came here for drinks with friends on a Saturday night, and it was pretty full. It took a while to get a drink at the bar, but we were able to find an open table to sit. I liked the ambiance here. It was dark but not nightclub dark, and there was a good crowd there. The booze selection was limited, but they were able to make do on some drinks with what they had. The drinks here were very good and also had a good amount of alcohol in them. It was about $9 - $12 for a good cocktail, so the prices were average for Santa Ana.

I had a god time here, but they close too early. 11 PM on a Saturday?!?

1  Thank buffy0182