“Elegant and comfortable”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Great hotel and excellent staff. It is conveniently located with a 24 hour fitness center. My only complaints are the complimentary breakfast is only "continental." There is an additional charge for the hot breakfast, and parking is $15 per night.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Write a ReviewReviews (1,186)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel with my husband and daughter.

Pros- Hotel and room were clean. Beds were supportive and not too soft, which is perfect for those of us with back problems. In room safe and refrigerator. Close to Segerstrom Center for the Arts where our daughter was performing.

Cons- Shower drain was extremely slow, had to stand in water up to our shins almost immediately after turning on the shower. Bathroom was small and does not have adequate venting which made it uncomfortably hot and steamy after showers. Air conditioning fan in the room seemed to be on it's last legs. Made a repeated loud noise like it was an engine trying to start up, and didn't cool the room very well. Walls are among the thinnest I've noticed in awhile. We could hear every small noise from our neighbor, including being woken at an extremely early hour by his alarm. The cookies which are always a nice and welcome touch, were not good. They were not at all like the delicious ones we have always gotten at other Hilton brand hotels.

Overall, the hotel is adequate. We used some of our Hilton points and paid a very small amount for the room + $15 parking per day. If we had paid more, I would have been very unhappy with our stay. Since we were only staying 2 nights, we didn't alert staff to the problems of the room as we didn't want to bother changing rooms.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Shashi P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced while a guest at our Hotel. There is no excuse for some of the shortcomings you have mentioned such as slow shower drain and noisy air-conditioning fan. We carry out regular preventive maintenance to all of our guest rooms on a regular basis to ensure problem free Guest rooms. It is through concerned guests, such as yourself, that we gain insight into areas of our facility/business that require attention, areas that may have otherwise gone unnoticed. I want to assure you that your experience is not typical of the quality of facility we offer our guests and corrective steps have been taken

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The hotel and my stay were OK, but the card key reader for my room never worked. Never. No one could figure out why and it wasn't fixed. This meant I had to go to the check-in desk and request maintenance assistance every time I wanted to enter my room. This wasted a LOT of my time. Also, I could hear the couple above me (next to me? below me?) screwing every night. Sound proofing could be better!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

As a diamond member I stay at a lot of Hilton properties. This one stands out to me as having the most "professional" well trained staff I have encountered.
The front desk person was fabulous, the bartender was extraordinary and the waitress at breakfast went above and beyond. It's like they all took a "smart pill" as to how to treat travelers.
If I could stay here every week I would but alas, I must drive the "entire" state of California ...town to town like Willie Lowman haha.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

This hotel was really gorgeous and conveniently located near the John Wayne Airport. The staff was extremely courteous - they provided a cookie at check-in. I didn't have one, but thought the idea was so cute! The food was fresh - I had several meals there as I was at a conference and the drinks at the bar were fabulous. The bed was a bit uncomfortable, unfortunately. However that was the only negative about the experience. I highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The staff at the hotel was really nice. I truly appreciated that getting in late. The bed comfortable and while I did not feel that it was a great bargain - for a last minute booking, I did okay. No view except for a roof from our room (4th floor- #18)

The parking for the guests is underneath and why is it that no one tells you that that is extra ? $15 for each 24 hr period. If you go over say, 25 hours its another $15 - but hey its Orange County you know.

It is very close to the job interview we had that early morning and that worked out beautifully.

Thanks for a restful sleep. p.s. if there was a buffet offered, we weren't told about it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Quick stay prior to an early flight. Location was good but still 10-15 minutes from airport. The room was adequate for the price. We had a nice breakfast in the morning and the bar served decent drinks the night before. I would probably try somewhere else next time I needed an airport hotel here. Only one real negative was the bathroom seemed to have a slight smell like sewer in it. There was a note that they were trying to fix something in the room and we did leave a note stating the problem. It was not so bad that we wanted to mess around with the fuss of changing rooms, just an annoyance.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Shashi P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write your comments concerning your recent stay at our Hotel. I was sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations due to distance from the Airport and bath room smell. While we are not all that far from the Airport -- just about 1.5 miles, we also provide shuttle service to the Airport for our guests on a complimentary basis. We did have a minor issue as it relates to the Bathroom smell caused by backed up drainage and was corrected promptly.
I would like to offer my sincere apology for the less than enjoyable stay you had at our Hotel. I sincerely hope that you will not judge by this isolated incident and give us the opportunity to serve you whenever your travel brings you to this area.