DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$108
$105
$96
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Courtyard Santa Ana Orange County(Santa Ana)(Great Value!)
$122
$99
  • Pool
Red Roof Inn Santa Ana(Santa Ana)(Great Value!)
$70
Red Roof
$88
$85
Hotwire.com
1,208 results
All reviewscookiesfront deskdouble treeparking garagenice hotelorange countyjohn wayne airportrestaurant staffbusiness triproom keyconvenient locationshuttle servicefitness centerclose to the airportbreakfast buffetsna airportfree shuttle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Ok so I realize that in a population exceeding 20 million people, hotels can afford to pick and choose the amenities they offer. And the “take it or leave it” attitude stems from the fact that if you don’t take the room someone else will. In fact that’s just what happened to me.

I took one look and one smell of the dark, dank, room that reeked of residual cigarette smoke, (See my review of the Candlewood Inn & Suites, Garden Grove, California), and I was soon out on the street looking for a decent hotel in the heart of Disneyland territory in the middle of July. “Good Luck,” says I. Everything was booked full. I needed 2 nights. After several stops and phone calls I happened on to a good reservations gal over the phone. She began searching hotels in the area and because I’m familiar with the geographical region, she would spot an opening and tell me its location, Chino, Long Beach, etc. She finally found a Doubletree at the Santa Ana, John Wayne airport location. (The Hilton Doubletree is nicely situated away from the airport not far from South Coast Plaza, on the edge of Irvine, across the street from the Marriott Suites) As we spoke the room was snatched up. Bummer. But just then another room became available. She grabbed it for me. And it was a king suite to boot! Then I heard the cost. $174/night! It was pleasure and pain at the same time. I grit my teeth and took the room.

As rooms go it was nice. No smells. It was a little small but acceptable. The Doubletree hotel staff are courteous, friendly, prompt and responsive. Something I expect and also appreciate. Housekeeping services are quiet in the mornings, and my stay on the seventh floor, (the top floor), resulted in as good a rest as I could hope for on the road. That’s important. The bed was firm and comfortable. My request for extra feather pillows either went unheeded or they always supply 4 per bed. Either way I had enough pillows. But the air conditioning is loud – and it had to be on just about all the time. I’m talking turn-the-TV-up 10 decibels loud. It would have been nice to have an opened window. But that would have allowed in more noise from outside. Traffic noise in the morning was typical of a big city. It was tolerable, because there wasn’t any other choice. At least the airport jets weren’t a bother.

Unfortunately I had to hijack internet access externally on the fly because Hilton is too cheap to provide free wi-fi or cable Internet. Knowing that beforehand would have nixed that room and it will certainly be the first question I ask if I ever stay at another Hilton hotel. Com’on Paris, even McDonalds offers free wi-fi. Keep your cookie and let me hook up to the internet next time. And by the way, while I’m on the subject, Hilton needs to take elevator lessons from Las Vegas. I don’t like watching my beard grow while traveling just a few floors. Slooooooow Elevators.

The underground parking was close to the elevator and surprisingly just about every parking stall was oversized. I don’t know if it was an engineering measurement mistake or what but it was nice to park where I could extend the door fully open without concern about clinking the car next to me. Nice. The hotel lobby is large and spacious, and it included a nice grand piano. My wife plays beautiful classical music and I was disappointed to see the “do not play” sign on the piano as it seemed a waste to me to have such a beautiful instrument sitting idle when it could have brought so much enjoyment to others. But its probably necessary to keep the unwatched kids from pounding out sounds while their parents look fondly on thinking its cute… So, there it is.

Room Tip: Know the geographical area before you book a room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Nice clean rooms,comfortable beds,cookies always good...digital channels on our flat screen went out,called downstairs. Within 10 mins repair Guy checking it out,within 2 mins had it unplugged " bringing you a new one" ,15 mins later watching a movie again....nice! Only complaint,15 bucks parking fee.....still have a hard time doing that....

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We were charged for self parking every night during our stay. Two of the nights when we returned to the hotel from our day there were no parking spots left in the garage and were forced to find parking else where. We also reserved a King Deluxe room and were given a handicapped accessible room with no bathtub. Recieved a fair rate for the area, but would not stay at this property again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Buckeye1_11
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights, got a good rate on Priceline. The front desk staff were very helpful, room was spacious and clean, and the bed was really comfortable. Would have liked to have had free Wifi in the room, but was free around the lobby area. Parking was $15 per night which I didn't think much of, but most of the hotels seem to charge for parking now. The hotel is really close to the freeway, and there were functions on 2 out of the 3 nights we stayed - however we didn't hear any of the noise from our room. Would certainly staye here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Stayed here while in town for a convention in Anaheim. Parking is 12/day. Wifi is 12/day. No free breakfast. Pool and hot tub is outside. Pool is very small. Hot tub will fit about 4-6 people depending on their size.

Comfortable beds. One weird thing that happened while I was there: Came back to the hotel after a day of site seeing, and found a couch had been moved into the room. It wasn't there when I had checked in.

Free cookies upon check-in. Asked for some more and they were happy to give me more. Front desk was very helpful and pleasant. Always smiling.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business