“great stay for business needs” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Orange County - Santa Ana

La Quinta Inn & Suites Orange County - Santa Ana
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Santa Ana
A TripAdvisor Member
“great stay for business needs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I picked this hotel cause it was near the seminar I was attending. I had a nice/clean room on the third floor.If I needed to eat something, it was only short walk away. I only had one concern which was the lack of available clothes washer/dryers available. All in all, I was very happy with my stay and would book with LQ again. The staff was nice also. My hats off to them also.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Port Orchard, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I needed a place near the Amtrak station and the Santa Ana airport, so I booked La Quinta. I picked it because I needed one that picked up after 10:30pm from the airport. La Quinta runs until about 10:45pm, they told me. Other hotels said 10ish, and I didn't want to risk it so I booked La Quinta. However, when I was waiting for the shuttle there were plenty of other hotel shuttles sitting there waiting. I think I would have been okay with any of the major chains. The shuttle was nice and the driver was friendly.

La Quinta can be really hit or miss, and this one was somewhat in the middle.

The bad:

The room smelled like dog, the floor had gigantic wet spots (I didn't want to think about it). There was dog hair and stains all over the mattress (but under the sheets, I always check for bed bugs and there were obviously none). The breakfast was subpar - the maple syrup was nasty, the coffee was instant, and I think the OJ was Sunny Delight. There were other options, bagels, cereal and hard boiled eggs. I didn't have time to get something else after my failed waffle (which someone made, which was a change), so I can't comment on those. The towels were worn and thing. The shuttle runs hourly, even if no one else needs it or has booked it.

The good:

It was cheap! (You get what you pay for) Free hotel transportation, free wifi (I had NO issues with it), the room was large, typical La Quinta amenities, the staff was really friendly.

All in all, I love La Quinta. I'm often with a dog so they give me an option. But, I don't know why I stayed here when I was alone. I tend to like a higher end place, so that was my mistake. It wasn't awful but it wasn't great. Some people would love it though.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Forth Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I booked my stay, June 20-23, 2013, through Priceline. At $65 a night during the summer season, I consider it a deal. La Quinta is in Santa Ana, CA, on Hotel Terrace, a nice street lined with 3-4 stars hotels. The hotel is not new but it's not slummy. Included in the price is breakfast, not cooked to order but filling and enjoyable. It's a family type hotel so you'll see lots of kids in the pool. You also get HD TV and free Internet. Best thing is that you don't pay that rip off parking fee. The hotel does not have a bar or restaurant but provides a fridge and microwave. It was a safe, pleasant stay all the way around.

Room Tip: Great if you're on a budget.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I am 3-nights in to a 5-night stay, and am paying for this hotel with my health. Read mixed reviews & decided take chance for 3-star rating & pricing. Motel is money pit. Lobby decent & looks nice when pulling up. Promised & requested smoke-free room per migraines. Immediately upon entering room, stagnant smell hit like wall. After unpacking & leaving door ajar, they sprayed air freshener and w/in hour smell returned. Day 2, asked them to come clean carpets while at work to get rid of smell. When returned, walked in & cigarette smell hit in face. Did poor attempt to clean carpet, which was still filthy & stained everywhere. Shower curtain had cigarette smell all over it; in curtains & disgusting furniture. Could not sleep that night from smell. 3rd morning, 1-hour after waking up, threw up from smell of cigarettes. Got sore throat during day. When returned at 8 pm, asked them to switch room. They said were fully booked. Said I could look for another hotel, which would likely cost me double. Front desk attendant did not care I had become physically ill from their dirty room. She said when left for work at 7:30 am, there would be no new rooms, except for later in day, and if I wanted one, would have to leave all my personal belongings in their care all day and then move them when got back at 10 pm. Repeatedly asked if could guarantee would be smoke free room, and she could not, but would leave message for manager next day. I am now sitting in my room ill again with tissue paper in my nose to mask smell. They have horrible customer service. Refrigerator is rotting my food and microwave super low wattage, barely working. Have not gone for free breakfast because brought my own. Pool did not look like anything decent, may be okay if have kids. Bed is decent, but pillows are lumpy and way too small, even when combine several for support. My back bothers me during day from sleeping on it. This place is a dump, and we'll see what happens tomorrow with their despicable customer service. I previously walked around grounds and is dump. Rooms are old, crusty, dirty furniture, filthy floors, tiny bathtub. Honestly, is 2-stars at best, and motel 6 is probably better and more reasonably priced than $87 on average per night here.

Room Tip: Non-smokers worst nightmare. La Quinta off South Coast Drive is supposed to be more newly renovated...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ShanynS81
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

As a disclaimer, I stayed at this hotel on a Priceline Express deal for one night. Perhaps that could explain some of our issues.

Pros
-- Decent breakfast (but not great)
-- Airport Shuttle
-- Free WiFi (Slow, but free)
-- Close to airport

Cons
-- Unprofessional Front Desk Staff
-- Shuttle was unavailable for 8am departure. Was told I had to wait until 9am as driver was busy.
-- Room was old and smelled musty.
-- Bathroom was not clean. Hair on floor and in tub.
-- I was double charged. Once by Priceline, then a second time by hotel. I found that they had charged me for another customer's room.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel. It realize it was the risk I took, but it didn't pay off.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PKRJP
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The room was very big and nice. There was a refrigerator, coffee maker, sink and microwave in the kitchenette area. There was also a couch in the living room and a very comfortable queen size bed. The complimentary breakfast was excellent (bagels, waffles made to order, cereal, fruit, oj and coffee). But breakfast is only served until 9:00 a.m. during the week (10:00 a.m. on weekends). My only real complaint is that I could hear the water going through the pipes when a neighboring room used the water. But I got used to that soon enough. Overall, excellent value for the money and courteous staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Here is the quick summary: very dated property (look, furniture, paint, etc.), accepts dogs & smokers, you can hear cars from highly on higher levels (2&3), staff was very friendly and made accommodations because of wrong booking.
Detailed Info:
Pro - When we arrive late Sat., they only had smoking rooms available (even though we had booked with Orbitz with non-smoking rooms). I talked to the night manager and he said Orbitz doesn't share that type of info with them, so we could take the rooms for that night or he could look for another property with nonsmoking rooms. We were tired, so we decided to take the rooms for 1 night. I contacted the morning staff about the room change and they moved us to nonsmoking rooms with an upgrade to a double bed in one of the rooms.
Con - The hotel exterior is a dull yellow on stucco. The furniture is worn, some fraying & in one of the room stained. Bathroom ceiling is low (<~7'). Smoking rooms were very strong in their smell.

Room Tip: Get an interior rooms that doesn't face the highway. Breakfast was crowd.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
#10 of 24 in Santa Ana
4.0 of 5 stars 212 reviews
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Santa Ana/Orange County Airport

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Orange County - Santa Ana? Share your experiences!