“Another new Courtyard experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Santa Ana Orange County

Courtyard Santa Ana Orange County
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
Parker, Colorado
“Another new Courtyard experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

First visit to this location very convenient to John Wayne airport. I was upgraded to a king suite which was wonderfully spacious and comfortable. Fast internet, very comfortable bed, clean - everything I need for a business trip. I am not a fan of the bistro experience, but there are great restaurant choices at a nearby mall. Definitely on my return list if ever back in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I travel a lot for business and Courtyard (and other Marriot chains) are my hotel picks.
This hotel is still seemingly new. We reserved 2 rooms for my family for my high school reunion. The 2 rooms on same floor had exactly same layout - what I would expect. I can still smell the newness of the furniture, bedding, bathroom ,etc. YES, I travel to many a Courtyards and can tell the difference.
Pool wasn't working while there - thus the knock down of 1 star. Typical new Courtyard cafe which is now what i expect of any Courtyard establishments (Cafe with booths and that serves Starbucks coffee).
I knocked another star off because upon check-in at 1am, the agent did not even advise which direction were the elevators. Let me premise that I had called prior to 4pm to advise that 1 room would be a late check in. (We were sober by the way). We were not greeted with a smile either -- thus lacking the customer service as I usually expect from any Courtyard stay.
Will I stay there again -- not before my fave Residence Inn nearby, then the Springhill Suites.
While I love the "newness", I know that it will eventually show it's wear & tear.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Myinbox125
Mike_Owen_GM, General Manager at Courtyard Santa Ana Orange County, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit to our area and our hotel. We appreciate your choosing Marriott and in this instance, our hotel. You are correct in that we still have that new feel and the lobby is in the same design concept with other new Courtyards, in that it has a very open feel, Starbucks and wireless internet throughout.
In addition to your positive comments, I appreciate your feedback on the challenge that occurred upon check in. It is sometimes a perception that the night shift person isn't expected to be friendly or helpful, and I appreciate your expectations and I agree with them. Checking in late is when we most need that helpful smile, directions and a sincere offer to assist with anything else. We will follow up with our late shift team members to stress the importance of this, as well as solicit their feedback on how they would feel receiving that same level of service.
Thank you again for your time and feedback and allowing our hotel to learn from this challenge and become a better place to stay.
Aspen, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

The location was a bit odd. Not much in the neighborhood especially on a weekend. The hotel was new and nice enough. The pool is tiny. The room was quite nice with a lot of room. The shuttle was okay but the morning driver was a bit rude. He was late (a few minute, not much) but certainly not helpful. Overall a good stay waiting for the plane out the next day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark G
Hughesville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Currently staying at this property and this is a nice courtyard be. Close to airport it is vey modern with one of the largest lobby areas I have encountered anywhere. Lots of tables and chairs for dinning at the cafe that serves burgers, wings and other hot items for breakfast and dinner. Each booth even have personal flat screen tv s . An extended sitting area has beautiful orange and tan seating with large flat screened tvs. The hotel has a beautiful decor and design. The contemporary room is large with a large bathroom. I was reluctant to book here and had originally stayed one night at a different hotel but I'm very glad we move here and will be returning for future OC travel. The staff is very friendly and the room feels and appears to be very clean.its very quiet and I haven't heard notice in the lobby or coming from other rooms. Self parking is 8 dollars a day and we also have free wifi in room. This is one of the better courtyards we have stayed at anywhere. The staff works hard to keep the hotel clean. As I'm sitting and typing this review there are to people busying sweeping and moping the floor. Thanks courtyard for our very comfortable stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Felicia W
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights over the weekend. The hotel is located just five minutes drive from John Wayne Airport, a few minutes drive to South Coast Plaza Shopping Center, and about 20 minutes to Disneyland.

LIKES:

> Good location near airport with complimentary shuttle service to / from airport Monday to Friday
> Well maintained property with a nice pool and well equipped gym
> Clean, beautifully appointed room with contemporary design and very comfortable bed
> Clean, bright, and spacious bathroom and shower
> Reasonably priced, self service, bistro with individual TVs at some of the tables

DISLIKES:

> Paid parking, but as others have stated, this is typical for many properties in the area

I enjoyed my stay at this Courtyard and found this hotel to be a great value for the very reasonable, sub-$100, room rate I paid. I will definitely stay at this hotel again when I'm in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travelstuff0000
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Love the valet option! The Valet attendant was as good as any concierge in town. My room was on the 3rd floor and right by the elevator- oh no! Not to worry, I never heard a thing. The desk is my only gripe. I really don' like the little slide in desk they put in the rooms. Just make the desk the right size and do away with that finger pincher. The bed was super soft and the bathroom was huge. Hot water was HOT. I did not eat or get any coffee since i was only there for about 8 hours to catch some sleep.
I'll book this hotel again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank shaw988
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

First off I will start by saying the good things about this hotel. Since it is new there isn't much you can say about the cleanliness of the rooms ect because it is very well taken care of. Bathrooms are spacious and the beds are quite comfortable and the location of the hotel is not to bad either. Now here is where I just don't get it. Parking. You have to pay 15 dollars A DAY for parking. Seriously? The parking lot is literally right in front of the hotel hardly 20 steps from the front door, but yet im being charged to have my car there. Just ridiculous. Other complaints are they advertise free breakfast on some of the discounted hotel sites and I learned real quick that that wasn't the case. In fact they charge 8-12 dollars for a breakfast item. Way overpriced! Again just trying to take out every cent I have is how I felt about this hotel.
Also, be aware that the hotel FAILS to tell you that there will be a hold of either, yes you heard me OF EITHER, 20 dollars or 40 dollars depending on how they feel that day I guess. I found out when checking my bank account. Made me sick to my stomach that this information was NEVER relayed to me. For goodness sakes im on vacation here. It would be nice to know that there was going to be hold per day of one of those charges and the amount varies for no apparent reason. It made no sense to me even after talking with the front desk numerous times about it. Also, they say there is coffee anytime you need it. Not the case. Be prepared that if you want coffee at midnight to expect that the "registers" are closed and your out of luck. Again, they are trying to get money out of you, but they closed up early. I was here for 3 nights with friends as we were doing a road trip from texas to california and the amount they took out of my checking account just really pissed me off from the fees of parking there and from them taking out what they wanted for incidentals daily. From the 5 hotels I stayed at on my 9 day road trip this was the only one that charged all these fees. Think twice about going here unless you don't care about your money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank brandi d
Mike_Owen_GM, General Manager at Courtyard Santa Ana Orange County, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for taking time to provide feedback on your experience with us. To begin, you have my apologies that you brought up questions to some of our team members and they were not able to answer these to your satisfaction. With regards to the hold on your card, we typically try to have a standard amount that we would hold on a credit card and this is just to ensure that if purchases are made in the Bistro or our Market, then there aren't any challenges with a quick and efficient purchasing process. And yes, we do have a charge for parking as this is something this particular area requires. We have several factors that support this cost, however the most important being an additional employee to monitor and control the parking lot so that neighboring residents and businesses do not take our parking spots from our guests.
Again, thank you for your time in providing feedback and for your stay with us. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or if I can be of assistance in any way.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Ana
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport
Holiday Inn Santa Ana-Orange County Airport
DoubleTree Club by Hilton Orange County Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Santa Ana/Orange County Airport
Country Inn and Suites - John Wayne Airport
SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County

Been to Courtyard Santa Ana Orange County? Share your experiences!