“Decent Hotel for Business near John Wayne Airport”

Courtyard Santa Ana Orange County
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I spent one night at this hotel for business. From the outside, it didn't look like much but on the inside, the lobby looked newer and modern. The front desk staff was very helpful. They were polite and service oriented. Check in was fast and efficient. Once I got to my room, the front desk called me to make sure everything was ok with my room. I thought that was a nice added touch.

The lobby was newly updated with plenty of seating both at the Cafe and around the rest of the lobby. I ate dinner at the restaurant there and it was pretty good. The service at the restaurant was good. It's not a full blown restaurant but it has a fair amount of options to choose from. The only downside was that the hotel didn't offer room service so if you wanted to eat, you had to go down to the restaurant.

The room was a basic hotel room. It had 2 queens, a desk, tv and a couple of phones. It had a mini-fridge, a coffee machine, iron and full size ironing board but no microwave. The beds were in my opinion, below average. The room was clean, well lit and quiet.

The bathroom was pretty good. It had a glass encased shower (no tub). It was bright, clean and looked like it had been remodeled recently. The toilet sink and shower were al in the same room so if you are travelling with a family, that might be a concern. The water pressure was good, the showerhead was high enough and there was plenty of hot water. The towels could use an update.

When all is said and done, it's an ok hotel if you need to stay in that area. The service was good, it was clean and the price was reasonable. I would have given it a higher rating if the bed was better.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TimNAZ

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is really new hotel just little over year old - was clean and can tell it is new
Modern lobby was nice room was comfy but I don't know about service
The valet guy was super friendly (it runs by other company) when we check in front staff was just not friendly -no smile, don't ask question kind - nice to see welcome face after long drive, she was just play mean, shouldn't get Jop in service or Marriott should training employee better
Other than that no complain
Would probably stay here again if rate is good

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lovehawaiigirl
Mike_Owen_GM, General Manager at Courtyard Santa Ana Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and we are happy that you enjoyed the location and the design and amenities of the hotel. I agree with you though, that if the service is not there, then it can really put a damper on having a truly great experience. We are in the process of following up with our team members on additional training. Our first step in this training is being able to take care of challenges, however the second part, which we're getting ready to begin, is how to properly welcome our guests. Its our feeling that our team members have a strong desire to deliver great service, however need the tools that will allow them to properly communicate this perception to our guests. In the instance of your check in, it sounds like our associate's intentions were not the best and we will definitely follow up on this. Thank you for providing your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to follow up, work with our team and provide a better experience moving forward. If I can be of additional assistance in any way, please do not hesitate to call or email. Thank you and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

this is the second time we stayed at this hotel this summer. room was clean and staff was nice. the parking fee really isn't fair but the valet were super, super nice and friendly. I would definatley stay there again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul C
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The hotel is new, clean and very comfortable. The staff very friendly, especially the valet. parking is tight so expect to valet and not self park. pool small but outside and the fitness center is clean, large and has great AC.

Food options right across the street include Starbucks and Rubio's. I'd stay here again if the area.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the parking lot are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RaeOnDaRoad
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel (July 2012) for 2 nights arriving late and exhausted after a long day of travel. My check-in experience was very pleasant and the lady manning the front desk was extremely friendly. In fact, throughout my stay I couldn't help but take notice that EVERY employee that I encountered smiled and greeted me throughout my stay. This included the valet (even though I chose to self-park), front desk staff, housekeeping staff, and even a maintenance worker who I ran into.

Room was clean and linens were comfortable and fresh.

Entire hotel has a nice "chic" vibe to it and the room was airy, decorated nicely, and had great black-out curtains to aid in some much needed rest for me!

Parking lot was ample and very well-lit. I felt safe at this property.

I always find it interesting to see comments about the cost of parking. This is Southern California and it is VERY rare to find parking that you don't pay for. That being said, the parking rate here is very reasonable compared to other properties in the area that charge as much as $28 per night to park.

My check-out experience was as pleasant as check-in.

I have stayed away from Marriott brand hotels in recent years in favor of a competitor but I'm glad that I gave this property a try. I will return to it (if it is available) for future stays in the area.

Hotel excercise room was also very nice. I cannot comment on the food or the pool (other than to say the pool looked nice) as I didn't use either.

Room Tip: My room was at the end of a hallway on the 3rd floor and for some reason I seemed to have above-aver...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Susie1473
Reviewed July 19, 2012

room was very clean. valet was exceptional but the front desk girls were not so great. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Paul C
Mike_Owen_GM, General Manager at Courtyard Santa Ana Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for your feedback on your experience. We are happy that the guest room met your needs and that our valet person did a good job when you encountered them. However, from your comment, it appears that our Front Desk Associates may have created a challenge or perhaps not provided the right type of service. Please feel free to reach out to us at the property for more details. We are confident that our team members strive to do a good job, however as challenges can occur, we are very open to this type of feedback as it helps us see what kind of job we did and how to improve moving forward. We hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is one of my favorite Marriott's!!! Immaculate, professional and even better than the pictures. 5 mins to South Coast Plaza and 15 to Newport. Worth every penny.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Princes4me2
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay with us and we are very glad the location worked out well for you. The Orange County area is great for getting around to see a lot in a very short distance. We hope to see you again soon.