“Delicious downtown vibe” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chapter One: the modern local

Chapter One: the modern local
Reserve with OpenTable
Chapter One: the modern local is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 680 Restaurants in Santa Ana
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 3rd
Transit: Minutes away from Santa Ana Train Station and Regional Transportation Center. Downtown Santa Ana is located in the center of Orange County, so it is never too far from anybody!
Description: A modern local is a new concept that is in a sense, the evolution of a gastropub. A culinary-centric, Public House that celebrates it's "local." Whether it's the seasonal, local, farm-to-table sourcing of our ingredients, the history of the local area, or the local resident that feels their sense of ownership here; Chapter One: the modern local is a product of its ideals and creative style as well as its community and local history. We are humble servants to our guests. Our commitment is to treat every guest like family and ensure that you feel the heart of the pub every time you walk in the door. No pretension, just good food and drink and great company.
Laguna Niguel, California
“Delicious downtown vibe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Came here after a local theater production. Downtown art area, easy parking, great young crowd. Loved the menu. Vegan and gluten free options. Great service. Noisy but fun. We had a super creative vegan portobello dish and fish and duck fat fries. Oh boy! Tasty. Want to go back for brunch when the waiters sing or play instruments.

• Visited July 2013

Fountain Valley
“Tasty and Creative!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

What a fun restaurant! I took my boss for his birthday - neither one of us had been before. Our lunches were terrific! We both enjoyed the fish and chips (put the sauces on the side as they are a little spicy) and the tacos. For our appetizer we tried the scotch eggs - yummy! The manager and the owner both dropped by our table to visit for a spell. When they found out it was my bosses b-day they brought us a maple - bacon - bourbon - banana donut (still warm). My boss definitely thought I was the employee of the year for taking him there and we both plan on trying more of their creative menu soon! This is a five star yummy restaurant. I hear they have live jazz on the weekends too! I can't wait!

• Visited June 2013
Marina del Rey, California
“I wish I didn't live 3000 miles away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I met a friend for dinner here. She'd sent me a list of places to choose from and I was immediately intrigued by their dessert menu. I had pretty much NO expectations and I was SO pleasantly impressed.

My friend I dined with had never been here either, and after our meal, she said she would definitely be returning.

The waiter was knowledgeable, the food was extremely good, the desserts were even better than I hoped.

Would love to come here again.

As an aside, I see the one star review, which I think is a typo. This place is too good.

• Visited March 2013
Orange County
“Great place, great food, good vibe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place came recommended by a friend of ours so my hubby and I decided to check it out. Parking is plenty. There's metered parking, parking structure across the street (7 bucks) and parking behind the restaurant (5-7 bucks). The decor in the restaurant has a modern twist to the old book store that occupied that space for years prior to its conception of the restaurant. I love it!
We were immediately seated. After all it was during a weekday. The hostess was very courteous and accommodating (not to mention gorgeous) . Our server, Shanne was very helpful and attentive. The restaurant is dimly lit and the menu print is small. We stated out with their Mac n cheese (omg...delicious) and their duck fat fries. So good. My husband had the beef couloutte which was cooked perfectly and I had the winter walnut and steak salad. Salad was great steak was slightly over-cooked. Towards the end of our dinner our server Shanne introduced us to Carlos who was taking over as her shift came to an end. He was just as nice and knowledgeable of the menu. I've read a lot of reviews where people think the portions are small. The portions to me are perfect. The food seems somewhat French inspired so portions are not huge as I think it should be. The prices are reasonable and the I could see where the restaurant probably gets busy Friday & Saturday nights. They also have quite the selection of craft beers and specialty drinks. I would recommend making reservations. They have music playing constantly and live music on certain days. We really enjoyed our experience and will definately come back.

• Visited February 2013
Glendora, California
“Great food, happy hour not so happening”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I met a colleague after work for cocktails and some light food. If you are looking for your normal brand of liquor, you are at the wrong place. The list of vodka's, gin's, and beers is very obscure. I ordered a recommended vodka from the bartender and I was highly impressed. They had a few beers on tap that looked great as well.
Recommend the scallop for an appetizer. It is a single scallop with a piece of bacon and some syrup.... Delicious!! The food was overall very good.

All though the food/drinks were good, the place was nearly dead. We were there from 3p-7p and there were may be about 5 people in the bar. Seemed to pick up as we were leaving but I didn't get the feeling it is a major hot spot. It is in down town Santa Ana and in not the best of neighbor hoods but overall, it was just ok. I will probably not hurry my way back.

• Visited February 2013