“Hidden gem on the way to Sequoia National Park” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of School House Restaurant and Tavern

School House Restaurant and Tavern
Ranked #1 of 42 Restaurants in Sanger
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: In a country school house established in 1921, just north of Reedley and east of Sanger, School House Restaurant & Tavern offers vast array of experiences unlike any other. Watch the game in our country roadside tavern, dinner in our historical dining room a view of the kitchen, or the outdoor fire lounge patio looking out to our gardens at the base of the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. The food represents a modern approach to classic dishes we all crave, with a focus on farm fresh, local ingredients. Our service staff is knowledgeable and attentive, yet relaxed and friendly. School House offers an extraordinary dining experience that's not just about food and drink, it's about creating lasting memories.
Hallandale, FL
“Hidden gem on the way to Sequoia National Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

On Route 180, from Fresno, we stopped for a quick lunch, only to discover this restaurant was nicer than just a roadside diner. The seating was inviting. The server, Julie (the "Principal"), was charming and effervescent. She made the meal, which was scrumptious, even more enjoyable. Would we stop here again? In a heartbeat.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank svraisondetre

“I love this place. (Moscow mules are the best here)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

There are a few places that make an exceptional Moscow mule, and this is the place to have it. I love coming here for brunch with my friends, or for drinks. The customer service is excellent here, they always accomadate the menu to my vegetarian palate. This is a great place to come whether you're with family or friends. I just wished they had vegetarian plates.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Wndrrluster
Fresno, California
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The best place around.. that's for sure... a special gem in the middle of nowhere. I came up here from Fresno for a special night out. I really loved the decor, the history. The service was excellent and the drinks delicious. A lovely place for a romantic meal.. took our time.. no rush! Had some delicious salmon and really enjoyed the salad here... fresh and crisp. So glad we could have a special night here.

• Visited June 2013
Elwood, Nebraska
“Local paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This fit our bill, it was quite busy on a Sunday night when we drove by so decided it had to be good. It was. The meat loaf and shrimp scampi were delicious as was the burger. My only knock was I felt the locals/regulars got better attention than a family that had spend the day in Sequioa NP, we stuck out like a sore thumb. That thumb sure did enjoy the food however.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dinuba, California
“Birthday disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

My friends and I (group of six) had my bday dinner here last night. It was a disappointment. We order appetizers & drinks, salad, main course, and dessert. The time between each course was very long. The appetizers serve two people at best. The beet salad was made from canned beets. The main courses took a long time to come and the food was just average. When you are served your plate it is empty if you order steak. You are only served your steak with a very small side. The desserts were good the bread pudding is excellent! The Sand Box drink was also really good made with blue moon and orange something. At the end of the night our total was $360 which is $60 per person. Gratuity is add on before tax :( it was nice to try this place once but I will never go back for dinner. I would go back for drinks and dessert.

• Visited May 2013