“Sorry excuse of a hotel!!!”

Knights Inn San Ysidro
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in San Ysidro
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I had originally called to guarantee late arrival and everything seemed to be ok. When we arrived I handed the clerk my printed confirmation. Then I am told my reservation could not be found, I this point I'm tired of being on the road just wanted to lay down. It takes the clerk about twenty minutes to tell me my room had been sold and that I should of made a reservation!! Hello!!!!, I handed you my print out with the hotel name and address on it and my accommodations! He says there isn't anything he can do since the room had been sold and hotel was full. Every single hotel in that town was full that night ended up sleeping in my vehicle just down the street from there! I have no clue why that hotel was booked with such horrible service!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Escapeetraveler

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We requested and had been put in a "non smoking" room, the room stunk of stale smoke it was disgusting. I have asthma and was up all night coughing, there were burn marks in the sink and the place was very unclean. The bed was very uncomfortable and lumpy. The rooms were not at all sound proof, the person above us was watching tv for what seemed all night long. There was yelling and screaming at about 4am. We felt quite unsafe here and even padlocked our bags during the day.

The only plus for this place was the price. It cost $90 for 2 nights accom, there was a sign on the door with the full rates at $150 a night - I feel sorry for anyone who pays that price.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Typical chain motel. Room wasn't too bad at all. Unless you're going to Tijuana, it'll be pretty far from most sights in San Diego. The check-in process was the worst I ever experienced. I arrived at midnight and there was a line of about 7 guests. I just can't figure out why the check-in process took so long. It took the guy about 10 minutes to check in each group and I waited for an hour to get checked in. They really need to work on efficiency.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Nice freshly painted on the outside, but don't go in. Damp musty smell in rooms is now on my clothes, the most noisiest place I have ever stayed, I could even hear the cockroaches playing. booked for two nights i should of walked away as soon as i opened the room door, paid the same amount as staying two nights in Las Vegas. Stay away until it is taken to the ground and re built.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I pre-booked this place online while pressed for time and didn't read any reviews beforehand. Only saw that it was ranked 3/5 or 3.1/5 on a couple of sites that aggregate user reviews and went ahead with it. Just wanted a place out of town with free parking to stay for one night, after staying downtown most of the trip.

Upon arriving, we saw a long line-up of people waiting to check in. About a dozen people in front of a security window. This was 11:25pm. There were two people at the counter at first, but one left at 11:30. Presumably, it was the end of their shift and they didn't feel like helping out the co-worker who was swamped. So then there was one.

I took a moment to admire the new temporary Knights Inn logo sign hanging from the fencing around the swimming pool. The bottom of the sign indicates it 's a Wyndham property. As the bottom of the barrel brand for Wyndham, this Knights Inn fulfills expectations.

12:00 rolls around and as we near the front of the line, there are about 8-10 people behind us now, many with printed bookings in hand. The sense of being scammed by Hotwire and Hotels.com is palpable in the air.

Now near the window, I had a front row view of the inner workings of the front desk. Papers were being shuffled, A telephone was used. A computer screen was looked at. And then more phone calls were made. I don't think I've ever seen phones used this much at a hotel before. It's like the guy had to confirm every move he was making.

Finally, we get up to the window and show the guy our booking number and I give him my passport. He finds our booking printed out already and starts entering stuff on screen. Then he starts flipping through my passport at length looking for something. I tell him there's no entry stamp if that's what he's looking for. He says he's looking for the picture page with my name. I tell him that'd be at the front, as it would be in most passports, and flip to it for him.

He then finishes up and hands back the key and passport. Pretty polite, he apologizes for the wait and gives clear instructions where to park and find the room. It's now 12:10am.

Room itself was fine, typical American motel standard. Clean, bug-free, and seemingly newer than a room in this place should be. It was a ground floor room with accessibility improvements (sill-less shower, wide doors, etc.), so I'm sure these have been renovated and are better than many of those that other reviewers have written about.

Other than the excruciating check-in process, I would say this stay was unremarkable. Bed was fine, towels and toiletries pretty standard. If I could skip the check-in, I'd even consider staying again. But with all these brutal reviews, I can't help but think that I sidestepped an even worse experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a handicapped accessible room if you want a renovated room. They're ground floor though...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2013

...but this one is top three of the worst hotels I've stayed at, with over 25 years of touring under my belt...

Arrived late in the evening. As someone else mentioned in here - locked door and safetyglass with intercom at check-in should be a proper warning sign. Dirty room, a booked non-smoking room stank of rancid smoke and had dozens of burn marks in the sink and on the board around it. I was going to post a pic of my sink, but realized that some other poor reviewer probably lived in my room earlier and posted a pic of the same sink.

Read a couple of the other reviews in here and not sure they all stayed at the same hotel I did...
Yes, it's close to the Mexican border. About a block away... No, it is not close to SeaWorld. It's the other side of town (about 25 miles)...

And, as for you get what you pay for - I am staying tonight at another motel, which name shall not be mentioned here, about 10 miles closer to Downtown/SeaWorld. It is a hundred times cleaner, more pleasant in every way AND I pay the same amount of money. So there, it can be done!

Steer clear, folks!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anders K
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I should have followed my instinct and run in the opposite direction when I walked into office and saw the plexiglas at check-in. But we were very, very tired and it was very late so we checked in. Our room was very dirty and depressing. As soon as we walked into the room and turned on the light, ROACHES scurried away! So we informed the front desk and they told us we could either get our money back and leave or get another room. Again, we were very tired so we got another room and hoped for the best. Room 2: The linens and room itself looked very dirty. The mattress was concave. When I went to the bathroom and flushed the toilet, the water started to fill to the brim and almost overflow. It was then that I noticed that there were bugs circling in the water. I'm not sure what the bugs were but maybe they were bedbugs. The hotel is in a very...intimidating area. Would not recommend. Avoid this place like the plague.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
#5 of 22 in Chula Vista
Quality Suites Otay Mesa
Quality Suites Otay Mesa
#212 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Knights Inn San Ysidro? Share your experiences!