“Roaches and damp!”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in San Ysidro
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“Roaches and damp!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Nice freshly painted on the outside, but don't go in. Damp musty smell in rooms is now on my clothes, the most noisiest place I have ever stayed, I could even hear the cockroaches playing. booked for two nights i should of walked away as soon as i opened the room door, paid the same amount as staying two nights in Las Vegas. Stay away until it is taken to the ground and re built.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I pre-booked this place online while pressed for time and didn't read any reviews beforehand. Only saw that it was ranked 3/5 or 3.1/5 on a couple of sites that aggregate user reviews and went ahead with it. Just wanted a place out of town with free parking to stay for one night, after staying downtown most of the trip.

Upon arriving, we saw a long line-up of people waiting to check in. About a dozen people in front of a security window. This was 11:25pm. There were two people at the counter at first, but one left at 11:30. Presumably, it was the end of their shift and they didn't feel like helping out the co-worker who was swamped. So then there was one.

I took a moment to admire the new temporary Knights Inn logo sign hanging from the fencing around the swimming pool. The bottom of the sign indicates it 's a Wyndham property. As the bottom of the barrel brand for Wyndham, this Knights Inn fulfills expectations.

12:00 rolls around and as we near the front of the line, there are about 8-10 people behind us now, many with printed bookings in hand. The sense of being scammed by Hotwire and Hotels.com is palpable in the air.

Now near the window, I had a front row view of the inner workings of the front desk. Papers were being shuffled, A telephone was used. A computer screen was looked at. And then more phone calls were made. I don't think I've ever seen phones used this much at a hotel before. It's like the guy had to confirm every move he was making.

Finally, we get up to the window and show the guy our booking number and I give him my passport. He finds our booking printed out already and starts entering stuff on screen. Then he starts flipping through my passport at length looking for something. I tell him there's no entry stamp if that's what he's looking for. He says he's looking for the picture page with my name. I tell him that'd be at the front, as it would be in most passports, and flip to it for him.

He then finishes up and hands back the key and passport. Pretty polite, he apologizes for the wait and gives clear instructions where to park and find the room. It's now 12:10am.

Room itself was fine, typical American motel standard. Clean, bug-free, and seemingly newer than a room in this place should be. It was a ground floor room with accessibility improvements (sill-less shower, wide doors, etc.), so I'm sure these have been renovated and are better than many of those that other reviewers have written about.

Other than the excruciating check-in process, I would say this stay was unremarkable. Bed was fine, towels and toiletries pretty standard. If I could skip the check-in, I'd even consider staying again. But with all these brutal reviews, I can't help but think that I sidestepped an even worse experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a handicapped accessible room if you want a renovated room. They're ground floor though...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these San Ysidro hotels

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed May 19, 2013

...but this one is top three of the worst hotels I've stayed at, with over 25 years of touring under my belt...

Arrived late in the evening. As someone else mentioned in here - locked door and safetyglass with intercom at check-in should be a proper warning sign. Dirty room, a booked non-smoking room stank of rancid smoke and had dozens of burn marks in the sink and on the board around it. I was going to post a pic of my sink, but realized that some other poor reviewer probably lived in my room earlier and posted a pic of the same sink.

Read a couple of the other reviews in here and not sure they all stayed at the same hotel I did...
Yes, it's close to the Mexican border. About a block away... No, it is not close to SeaWorld. It's the other side of town (about 25 miles)...

And, as for you get what you pay for - I am staying tonight at another motel, which name shall not be mentioned here, about 10 miles closer to Downtown/SeaWorld. It is a hundred times cleaner, more pleasant in every way AND I pay the same amount of money. So there, it can be done!

Steer clear, folks!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anders K
Calexico, California
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I should have followed my instinct and run in the opposite direction when I walked into office and saw the plexiglas at check-in. But we were very, very tired and it was very late so we checked in. Our room was very dirty and depressing. As soon as we walked into the room and turned on the light, ROACHES scurried away! So we informed the front desk and they told us we could either get our money back and leave or get another room. Again, we were very tired so we got another room and hoped for the best. Room 2: The linens and room itself looked very dirty. The mattress was concave. When I went to the bathroom and flushed the toilet, the water started to fill to the brim and almost overflow. It was then that I noticed that there were bugs circling in the water. I'm not sure what the bugs were but maybe they were bedbugs. The hotel is in a very...intimidating area. Would not recommend. Avoid this place like the plague.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lizgger15
Massachusetts
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We only stayed here one night; the front desk person was very friendly and accommodating. The room had been repainted and there were some cosmetic updates to the room. It was comfortable enough for one night. The one complaint is that the sink area had numerous burns on the counter and the counter was falling apart.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I booked 2 days in this hotel because a "coupon" promotion on a website, and oh my.. i can't really recommend it.

The area is very dark, looks dangerous (saw a drunk homeless guy screaming like crazy on the corner of the street until the police came)... the rooms are old, dirty, the matress is really really used, it has cable TV and a noisy AC.

The shower runs hot water, so that's a point. The "so-called" continental breakfast was coffee and 2 apples (seriously, there were only 2 apples in the counter).

Service clerks are nice, that's another point.

Avoid this hotel unless you are only going to Outlet shopping which is very close, and if you don't mind an ugly zone and an uncomfortable bed. I guess what i meant to say is, stay here if you don't mind the ugly points. Very cheap hotel, that's a plus!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SerchMX
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I booked a smoking room, and the room that was given to us clearly didn't go through clean up for few weeks. We soon discovered dirt on the floor corners, spider webs on wall corners, stains on wash basin. We are not really the complaining kind of people and tried to move on with that, but when within 10 mins we found a bug on the wall, we had to ask for a replacement room !
We were given a non smoking room this time, not as dirty as the previous one. Though the minus points were carpet was not clean enough, bathroom door lock was broken, no even complementary shampoo. Only plus point is rent, which was around $39 per day including tax.
This hotel may offer $10 less rent that a Super8, but quality goes down a few notches, even compared to a super 8 ! Decide if you are ready to 'afford' that before booking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chula Vista Inn
Chula Vista Inn
#11 of 22 in Chula Vista
Days Inn San Diego Chula Vista South Bay

Been to Knights Inn San Ysidro? Share your experiences!