“Comfy clean and affordable”

Travelodge San Ysidro
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in San Ysidro
South San Francisco, California
“Comfy clean and affordable”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I had to go to San Diego at short notice to visit a very ill relative for several days. I was pleased to find a great, low-cost deal online (through Wyndham Rewards), so I reserved my room for just myself because I was traveling alone.

The room I got was fairly spacious, with a king sized bed. The bed and its pillows were comfortable, the drapes blocked most of the light out, and the building was quiet and clean. As a result I slept well.

I was also pleased to find the shower provided hot water and lots of flow (although the shower head was placed a bit low), and the drain did not clog. Plenty of clean towels were provided. The bathroom had a strong (efficient) fan in its toilet/shower area, and that area had its own door that you could close and let the fan run inside that room. It's always nice to be able to do that. It's also good in case someone with you needs to use the toilet or shower privately without taking up the entire bathroom (including sink and outlets). The bathroom sink on the other side of the door had a large mirror and shelf under the mirror, along with a bright florescent light. Very sensibly designed and easy to use. The bathroom also had a small coffee maker that I used daily, and the maid replenished my coffee grounds supply each day as well. I'm pretty sure I saw a microwave oven in there too, though I didn't use it.

The room had plenty of light fixtures, an ironing board and iron, exposed wardrobe rack with permanent wood hangers, a desk to write at if needed, and a color TV with remote. The remote actually worked well and did not have dying batteries or damaged buttons! That's hard to find nowadays. The TV channels were basic cable, and fine with me. The carpeting was clean and acceptable, not greasy like some places. However, the floor squeaked nearly everywhere I walked, and I was on the second floor, so I felt bad for the noise any neighbor below me had to hear. Nobody complained, though.

All in all, this motel was a great value. Plenty of parking, professional staff, and located in a neighborhood that probably has less crime than you would surmise by the looks of it. The swimming pool looked inviting but I was not planning to jump in during December; that will have to wait. I enjoyed eating breakfast at the nearby Denny's, which is walking distance--about a block!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Mysuccess029

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Our nuclear and extended family has stayed at this hotel (and continues to stay) several times over the past two years. We have nothing but positive remarks about the site and the staff. There are two sections: the renovated and non-renovated. The renovated sections ranks with the best. It is safe and clean. The staff is helpful and the food is par with the usual continental breakfast fare. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated section.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Margarita L B
Bullhead CIty, AZ
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I travel to the San Diego area quite often, and have found this hotel to be the cleanest, most comfortable, and overall best bargain in the South Bay area. The location is not far from the I-5/I-805 freeways, on a street which runs from the Plaza Americas shopping complex towards Via de San Ysidro, less than a mile from the Mexico border (the actual border fence is less than 1/2 mile away). The primary reason I chose to stay here when there are hotels closer to the downtown area more convenient to my work is primarily the price (easily half of what other budget hotels charge in San Diego), the fast and always reliable complimentary internet access, and the close proximity to several restaurants, including a couple fairly upscale eateries in the Plaza Americas center. I always ask for an renovated room, which include nicer bedding, lighting, and a few extra amenities for about 5 extra dollars. I have always found the check-in staff warm and pleasant, and the place i also much quieter than what have experienced in other budget hotels. The primary clientele seems to be people looking for short-stays while traveling too/from Mexico, or those looking for a lower cost option than the San Diego hotels. I make about 10-15 trips per year, and keep coming back to this hotel unless a nicer property has a particularly good deal.

CAVEAT: This is a "budget" hotel, and would not be a good choice for someone looking for romance, resort, or anything at all fancy. But, I am a private contractor & pay for my own lodging, so my priority is price versus amenities.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, on the ground floor
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Qualnurse
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed here for two nights at the end of July. The room was huge, clean, and had good brands of toiletries. Yes, the management puts a $40 hold on your credit card to cover missing towels but we were not charged for anything. Upon check out, someone was sent to our room to verify the towels were accounted for.

Though further south than I would have liked, I highly recommend this as an inexpensive place to stay in San Diego.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BWBradford
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 24, 2011

If you have the misfortune of staying here I would suggest not walking barefoot on the filthy carpet. Also be sure your vaccinations are up to date. And a can of RAID would come in handy too. Oh yeah, management pulls a scam here by charging guests for missing towels. Don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
43 Thank hair3point14

Travelers are raving about these San Ysidro hotels

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Room clean, had Iron, Iron Board, Lots of coffee and coffee maker, Microwave, Fridge, clean Bed.Small continental breakfast 6-9 AM but dissapointed beause at the morning we got to eat a breakfast and was too poor, just a few breads, the juice...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Mr_Dealfinder786
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I took myself to San Diego for Memorial Day weekend and stayed here for $34/night. Even though some of San Ysidro can feel a bit sketchy at night as a young single woman, the actual block where the hotel is located is fine, and I felt very safe and comfortable here. The continental breakfast is VERY basic, but it does the trick - and the hotel has fast, free wifi!

You can walk to the FABULOUS outlets in less than 5 minutes, and downtown San Diego is a 15 minute drive. I even got to Coronado Beach in 20 minutes on Memorial Day!

My only complaints are that when I arrived, the hotel had not received all the required information from Hotwire (where I booked my reservation), and they made me call Hotwire myself in the lobby...it just seems like that should have been something the hotel should have done themselves. Also, the vanity light was extremely dim and made it hard to get ready in the morning. That said, I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Chula Vista Inn
Chula Vista Inn
#11 of 21 in Chula Vista
Days Inn San Diego Hotel Circle Near SeaWorld

Been to Travelodge San Ysidro? Share your experiences!