“It was convenient” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in San Ysidro
pittsburgh
“It was convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Booked a room there last minute on a spur of the moment trip to San Diego from Phoenix. Most of the hotels where pricey for this week convention in town. At $80 and a Rodeway Inn I'm not expecting to receive Westin or W amenities. We had room 105 a/c was cold and room including bathroom was clean. The towels if you need more they want the ones you just used back first. The breakfast is laughable but again why expect more. The property IS close to the border like a street off, and a trolley that runs behind the property that the bells ring and may bother some. Couple blocks from the outlets and less the 10min from a Wal-Mart up the 805 if need be. Plenty places to eat and shop within walking distance. Imperial Beach Pier is 15 min away up interstate 5 and only 20 min from downtown. Never worried about our safety there, lots of familys I seen checking in and out. Just remember it's a Rodeway Inn

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank azbound50
Bipin A, Manager at Rodeway Inn San Ysidro, responded to this review, July 2, 2015
Thank you fro the feedback, we do have a good location for border visits and for great outlet shopping. Thanks again for your patronage and good luck in your travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Mateo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

These people at the front desk are so phony. The room size was okay, bathroom lights where bright but, that is about it. Old 1980's TV set, noisy, paper thin walls, sheet feel like there made out of paper (stiff), all the towels had a yellow tint to them, and some very shady people coming in to this place all night. Not for anyone who want a safe night sleep. Back to the front desk people. We woke up the next day and need to go to Mexico. First we ask if we could leave the car in there lot, also we said we would be back by noon which they said it's no problem. When we got back the woman at the front desk asked if we where staying another night, we told her no. Then her whole face and attitude changed. She told me that next time it would cost me a nights stay because, the car was parked there. Okay I said and when on my way. Will a week later I see this charge on my account for 2 night stay. So she hit me with a extra $61.00 charge. The charges are now in dispute.

Room Tip: If you need to go across the border maybe stay in Chula Vista and pay for the 7 dollar parking behin...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jerry W
We appreciate the feedback and have sent this onto management.

Travelers are raving about these San Ysidro hotels

Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Scammed out of a $50 charge on my credit card, they claimed i took all the towels from the room. They probably had a value of five bucks total, and were stiff as if made from wool. If youre looking for a place to stay while attending an event at the amphitheatre beware of this place!

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Thank you for the feedback.
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The room was tiny. The AC didn't work -- it only blew hot air on a hot day, and even that failed to reach the bed. The refrigerator had not been cleaned and contained stuff from previous guests. The room appeared to have been renovated--the flat-screen TV was nice--but the AC was definitely from a different era. The trolley on the back side of the hotel made loud noises every time it approached or departed from the end of the trolley line--which was probably every ten to fifteen minutes. I was told no other rooms were available, even though many rooms seemed unoccupied in the front even late at night and the next morning. There was no iron or ironing board in the room, and the bath tub was springy. The big liquid soap dispenser above the tub made it look like it was a public bathroom. The location was quite central, at least for a busy border crossing. Lots of people were walking to or from the border crossing. A large outlet mall is nearby, on the U.S. side. The Internet worked just fine. The neighborhood seemed safe.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the mountain -- and tracks -- behind the hotel. Check if the AC works as...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mike1001_1
Thank you for the feedback, we understand that everyone has a level of comfort and we are very sorry if we let you down. We wish you the best in your travels.
Green Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I had to book a last minute trip to San Diego on a very busy end of week and weekend. All the big names places in San Diego were booked or way way too expensive. I took a chance with this place at around $99. I was very pleasantly surprised! My 4th floor room seemed to be recently upgraded, very clean (my greatest fear is a dirty gross place), had free wifi with a decent connection, flat panel TV, foam mattress, and to boot the place had a decent continental breakfast with cereal. The trolley stop was less than 2 blocks away and took me right to the convention center (I was told it also goes right to Petco Park, but there wasn't a game in town when I was there). Also, San Ysidro is right on the border and this place would definitely be a convenient place to stay if you were going across the border to Mexico. All things considered, for the price I give this place 2 thumbs up! =)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you, we understand this review is older but we are changing and managing our hotel and online reviews and we thank you kindly.
Torrance, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

No reservation, walked up & paid $66.24, he put me on the backside so I could monitor the train whistles. Internet does not work in room 318 (train whistle room) so I recommend not booking into 318 if you need internet. Room was clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank HB S
Bipin A, Manager at Rodeway Inn San Ysidro, responded to this review, July 7, 2015
Thank you for the feedback, we have upgraded and our WiFi is working properly.
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

made a mistake and wanted to change my booking with the hotel. I booked the room from europe but the date was one day ahead. I was booking the room for a friend that was stranded a with no where to stay and no internet connection at that very moment in san diego. So I called up and checked that my booking was correct at the time of booking and the guy said it was just coming through at that moment. unfortunately later I found out it was incorrect after all the effort I put i n... I then proceeded to call for a refund to cancle my book just a few hours later and both expedia and the hotel refused my request quoting policy. I am very unhappy with the result of this venture. The circumstances were unique and because they are a big company they are completely unflexable both the hotel and Expedia... my friends then had to pay out of their own pocket for a room so essentially we payed double for one night. I cant believe how greedy some people are, the real disappointing thing is I was doing this as a favor for a friend who was in real trouble and what do I get back for all my hard work and effort and caring attitude? a slap in the face from the companies involved... so ridiculous! I would highly NOT recommend this travel lodge for the very fact for their un courteous and way they handled my request.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank joshuahaddon
We understand this review is years old, however we did want to say thank you for the feedback, we have made many changes staff and decor, and we considered your feedback in our meeting to better our customer service. Thanks again.,
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Ysidro
Quality Suites Otay Mesa
#173 of 282 in San Diego
4.0 of 5 stars 66 reviews
Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area
Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
Quality Suites Mission Valley SeaWorld Area

Been to Rodeway Inn San Ysidro? Share your experiences!