“DO NOT KNOW WHAT MANAGEMENT SKILL ARE....”
Review of Iron Wok - Asian Bistro - CLOSED

Iron Wok - Asian Bistro
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I just had the most terrible experience at this place. For a long time ever since they opened, we've been ordering our lunch since we work in this area. We consume a minimum of 6-8 lunches per week. Yesterday I placed my regular order, when it arrived to my office the food was full of grease, no flavor, it was uneatable. I sent my secretary to exchange it, when the second lunch came back it was worse, it had more grease than the prior one. By this time my apetite was completely gone, and I decided to stop after work and exchange it. When I tried to return their food and get my money back, the manager a guy named "Andre" ( he said that was his name), started arguing with me about the thousand reasons why he couldn't give me my money back. I finally told him, "just tell me, you are not going to give me my money back and I will leave" He claimed that he wasn't saying no, although it was not his fault that my lunch had been ruined, because he did not cook the meal. H e used this words "I do not care your lunch was ruined, it is not my fault, I was not here at the time, and I honestly do not care"
The lunch was a total of $20.00 dlls. I explained to him, how it was not the money but the bad experience that made me go back and tried to get my money back. I explained to him that we were regular customers and that we thought we deserve better treatment. This poor guy, had no idea wath 'management skills" were all about. This place has been lowering their service and the quality of their food over time. The place is dirty all the time, the bathrooms smell terrible, the employees are unmotivated, plates and silverwear are dirty, it is just a shame that such a beautiful restaurant has gone down the drain for the lack of training, cleaningness, but specially a true service oriented culture, like the one they had at the beginning of their opening (it was awesome, at the beginning!!!). I know they just transfered ownership, just a warning to the new owners, TRAIN YOUR PEOPLE!!!! Tell them that they should never interrupt or yell at a customer when this one is upset. Show them that they should listen to their customer's needs. I told this young and naive manager that the first lesson in a business was that when you say that you are the manager you represent THE PLACE, I told him, TO ME YOU ARE IRON WOK, YOU JUST MADE ME WAIT outside your place for 1 1/2 HOURS, to get $20.00 dlls back , I AM NOT A BEGGER, I AM YOUR CUSTOMER".
Last comment, the hostees was rude and terrible as well, she hide the comment cards from me, and would not give me one when I requested it. (I know that they are usually in the front desk).
RECOMMENDATION: Waiters or hostees are not MANAGERS. We know that you try to offer your waiters and waitresses to become managers and pay them very little. INVEST IN GOOD MANAGEMENT, PEOPLE WITH MANAGEMENT DEGREES, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE!!!! AND YOUR PLACE WILL REVIVE!!! ANY BUSINESS PERSON KNOWS THAT THE MANAGEMENT SHOULD BE PAY TOP DOLLARS, TO Keep the business thriving.

It is a shame that this former great place that we had in San Ysidro, turned into another low life night bar. Unfortunately they do not care about the restaurant, all they care is about the night life business. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!! What a shame!!!!

4  Thank Veronica L
There are newer reviews for Iron Wok - Asian Bistro

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Even my teenage son ate everything tht came to our table.
It's a little like ordering chinese food, where you order a few dishes and then share. They also have a full sushi menu and was very tasty.
It is right across from the outlet mall in San Yisidiro.

Reviewed September 6, 2010

I am SUPER picky! I am ALWAYS disappointed when going out to eat....I admit that I don't like a ton of variety. My husband drug me into the Iron Wok against my better judgement and I have been very pleasantly surprised!!!

I had the honey chicken...delicious!!!! My husband loved his orange chicken and chickenegg roll! So anyway...I say take a chance on it!

Reviewed June 19, 2010

Place is nice, food is good but is not the Tao. Although I should say is probably the nicest place to eat in San Ysidro.

Reviewed March 26, 2010

I was excited to try it, but was dissapointed with the flavors of the entrees. They seem they want to be a Chang's by the some of the flavors, but it just falls short. Service was mediocre. Don't waste your time or money!