“Take out Breakfast”

Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in San Simeon
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 1, 2016

We were staying at a local hotel and got breakfast at the Big Sur Restaurant. The bacon and biscuits were excellent. The oatmeal -- not so much. It was much too runny and bland for my taste.We will try the restaurant for another meal next time we are in town.

Date of visit: August 2016
1  Thank Linda T
Write a reviewReviews (412)

Reviewed August 28, 2016

The service here is a little weak. The atmosphere isn't all that good either. The food was just ok. One daughter ordered country fried steak and didn't like it at all. The other daughter had spaghetti and said it was OK. The best part of our meal was our salad. When my daughter didn't like her meal, I ordered her a plain grilled cheese, just bread and cheese. I told the server she didn't like her meal and that was why I was ordering the grilled cheese. The cost of that grilled cheese was $10. So, not only did I have to pay $15 for the meal she didn't like, I also had to pay $10 for two slices of bread and one slice of cheese. I wasn't expecting to not pay for the meal she didn't like but I would have thought they'd have discounted the cost of that grilled cheese. I really can't say too much about our experience other than it was just OK. I'd eat there again if I needed to but I wouldn't seek it out.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed August 18, 2016

Food is average. A bit pricey. Horrible service. Waitresses are severly neglectful. Wait time for them to check on you or to bring check is long. This is the 2nd visit we had dinner here too and service was the same.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed August 10, 2016

We choose this restaurant because we had a 10% discount from our hotel. Menu was maybe a bit limited, but the food was nice!

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed July 27, 2016 via mobile

We stopped there for breakfast before heading out for the day. There were only 2 clean tables. There were only 2 other tables that had customers. It was right after the breakfast rush so we didn't think that much about it. We were sat facing the kitchen. I ordered the biscuits and gravy. When the food came, the gravy had very little flavor and the biscuits were cardboard tasting rocks. My friends bacon which was ordered well done...wasn't. The waiter came back around after several minutes and asked how the food was. He looked at my plate which hasn't been hardly touched. He asked what was wrong with my food and I told him about the biscuit, showed him how it made a nice loud clunking sound against the plate. He was very apologetic and asked if he could bring me something else which was very nice. I told him no thank you, I'll just finish my bacon and O.J. The cooks response in back was not as nice. The waiter took the plate back and the cook asked what was wrong, so he told him. The cook looked and me rolled his eyes and made some sarcastic comment. The waiter saw that I saw and came and apologized for him. The service was great, the food was terrible!!

Date of visit: April 2016