“Such a family friendly hotel”

Quality Inn San Simeon
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Stay here. I stayed here with my husband and 2 children and I absolutely loved the rooms. Very clean, nice beds, cool television. The pool was the right size for this hotel, the jacuzzi was a little slippery to get into, but it worked. I love that they have the pool, jacuzzi, and fire pit. They also offer free breakfast - which included waffles..

Room Tip: They are not that busy, maybe call ahead.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Elizamorena
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn San Simeon

Reviewed January 31, 2011

We flew to California on a whim to buy a dream car of my husband. We had a fantastic day driving the Highway 1 down from Monterey and took so long that we missed the chance to see Hearst Castle. So we made an early morning reservation and decided to stay in San Simeon. Somehow I thought it was bigger- although I''ve never been here before. Anyway, we stopped in to just check out the Quality Inn and asked to be shown a room. The staff seem to have their act together. The rooms have obviously been recently renovated and everything is very nice and clean. We stayed in a King room and got it for a lower rate than usual. It was very nice and I can be rather picky. They have an outdoor heated pool, hot tub area that has a firepit. My husband asked for extra towels for out there and was promptly given them. He said the pool was fairly warm and the hot tub was ok but could have been hotter. The nice man at the desk offered to put on the firepit, but my husband declined. It was a very nice and relaxing end to a tiring but fun day!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HGH
Reviewed November 15, 2010

It was ok for one night if you are going to see Hearst Castle on your way up Pacfic Coast Highway. The rooms are in a motel type building but didn't smell that great, a bit musty. Nice big bed though and the breakfast was ok, included in the price. We did eat at the restaurant because we were too tired to go back to Cambria (it was our first day after arriving at LAX the day before) which had better reviews for restaurants. The discount for staying at the Quality Inn only applied to main course. And there was no atmosphere. But given San Simeon is a one horse town conveniently located next to Heasrst Castle it did the trick and for that reason I would recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We booked the Quality Inn specifically because it was a United partner and my miles were about to expire. I asked for "partial ocean view," but when we got there we found that the "partial" view was no view unless you were a contortionist and that the room balcony looked down on the parking lot. When I returned to the front desk, the person in charge (and I'm mortified that I don't remember her name, because she was extremely friendly and helpful) worked with me to change our room to a room overlooking the interior garden and courtyard--an upgraded room at that (business was slow on that Tuesday).

Our upgraded room had a whirlpool tub, which was nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. It was difficult to get into (high sides), and there were no grab bars (we're in our seventies so appreciate such amenities).

The pool is small. We didn't use it.

Expanded continental breakfast is complimentary. There's a lack of protein (I'd suggest a bowl of hardboiled eggs at the least), but we enjoyed the waffles for two mornings.

The "adjoined restaurant" isn't affiliated with the Quality Inn. It's an entirely separate entity, and fine dining at that. We had dinner there one night--every bit as good as comparable restaurants in San Francisco, at about two-thirds the price.

If you want real oceanfront, book the Best Western Plus across the highway. It's at least twice the price, but the ocean views are real. Nevertheless, beach access is available to the public, wherever people are staying.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2010

We overnighted here on our way down the coast, after visiting Hearst Castle. There wouldn't be many other reasons to stay in this area if it weren't for the "Castle". It's about a 5 minute drive south and is located amidst about 8 other motels.

It's on the non-ocean side of the highway, so if you want to get to the beach you can either drive for 2 minutes, or walk for about 5 minutes. The rooms at the front actually have a lovely view of the ocean, and we didn't even notice if there was any traffic noise, so it wasn't intrusive.

The room was large and very nice and clean. The free wireless internet worked well, and the breakfast was lovely - you could even make waffles if you felt like it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I have stayed at this motel several times while traveling for work, and I get one of the balcony rooms facing the garden in the back. They offered me a free upgrade to this type of room, and the staff is extremely accomodating, so I don't know how much more these rooms are but it is probably worth it. These rooms have a nice fireplace, a huge jazcuzzi tub, and a balcony that faces a pretty garden with a waterfall. The rooms are very big, have a wet bar, larger size fridge, microwave, comfortable chair with ottoman, and computer desk. The rooms were redone last year and have new, comfortable beds and thin down comforters. There is nice lighting in the room. I could not hear anyone in the rooms around me or cars on the road. The pool and spa area is now being redone; it should come out nicely because it is in a nice usable space that is indoor/outdoor. There is supposed to be another redwood patio in the very back that I haven't seen yet. Everything is very clean, and I would have to say it has all of the things that I look for.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Ostara864
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We wanted to stay in San Simeon and this was the cheapest place we could find that accomodated our family. From the beginning, it was a bad experience. The office staff was quite unfriendly, the room was bleak, the lighting was very poor and the bathroom was dirty. The free breakfast is served in very cramped quarters; people had to wait in line to get a seat. It was in a decent location and there weren't a whole lot of other choices so it was acceptable. I wouldn't want to stay there again, though.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
#6 of 12 in Cambria
San Simeon Lodge
San Simeon Lodge
#2 of 10 in San Simeon

Been to Quality Inn San Simeon? Share your experiences!