“Does not feel like a chain hotel”

Cavalier Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Reviewed August 28, 2008

We arrived in San Simeon at dusk, as a one night stop in our trip towards LA. We were on a family plan, and I knew from the hotel web site that queen rooms had only a partial view of the ocean, but it was fine for us. Someone has to get the rear view at some point, right? It was one night anyway, there was not much to see in the dark.
We were close to the reception, on second floor. It was quiet and the room was comfortable, above average for Best Western (although the BW green upholstery is pretty ugly IMHO). We had a nice sized fridge and a very clean bathroom.
We arrived in a small lobby with a cute fireplace.The staff was friendly, and since our keys were working funny they walked up with us (usually hotel staff makes YOU walk).
Kids were too tired and cold to walk to the beach to the fires, but it gave a nice touch to the stay in a location that has not much charm otherwise. On the other hand, Cambria is a lovely town with much more to offer and many restaurants. I recommend The sow's ear for dinner.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,857)

Reviewed August 10, 2008

We stayed at the Cavalier in May; we were on Honeymoon.

We booked an "Ocean Front" room & it was definitely worth the extra cost, the room was a stones throw from the sea & gave us a totally un obstructed view of the Pacific

The room was really spacious, it was very well equipped with a sink, fridge & two comfy chairs with matching foot stools, there was also a DVD player with the TV.

The open fire really enhanced our stay, it made the room extremely toasty (we were lucky the weather was bad so we got to use the fire!!)

When we ran out of fire wood, we called the front desk & they arrived within 10 minutes with a full box of wood at no extra charge.

We were sent a bottle of champagne from the hotel that evening to congratulate us on our marriage (which was a lovely touch).

The room service menu has plenty to cater for all.

The only downside to being in the "Ocean Front" room is that the rooms are away from the rest of the hotel & the staff have to drive over to the rooms by buggy, as a result the room service food we ordered could have been a bit warmer (but the food was tasty & the portions were generous).

The carpet in the room was a bit scruffy & could do with a good clean but that is really the only negative point I can give.

The staff were the amongst the friendliest that we have encountered in the U.S. & they are a credit to the hotel.

Keep up the great work Cavalier Staff!!!

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Mclaren1Ireland
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We arrived in San Simeon earlier than expected (2pm). We were told the hotel was going to be sold out that night, and so the rooms weren't ready. We were to return at 4pm.

My husband and I walked down to the beach (which is literally right outside the hotel... a huge plus) and watched the birds (the next morning, we saw dolphins there, too). It was a very stunning area, and their location is ideal.

We then went to the restaurant that I believe is owned by the Best Western, the Cavalier. The server was very short with us and rude. We pretended not to notice and tried to enjoy our meal (it was an OK meal, nothing spectacular, and a little pricey).

After the meal, it was 3:30pm. I saw another couple enter the lobby, and they came out with keys. I decided to give it a chance and went back to the lobby. This time, another woman helped me. When I tried to check in, she told me that none of the "one night stay rooms" were ready.

We came back a few minutes later after another person was able to check in. I was prepared to tell her that I didn't think it was OK that all these other guests could check in, but we couldn't because we were only staying for one night. This time, she called the maids to find a clean room for the "one night stays." When I told her I'd take anything available just to get a room, she told me that people who stay one night have to stay on the bottom floor. She told me most of the bottom floor rooms have 2 queens, so I should wait for one of the few bottom floor rooms with one king bed to be cleaned.

How ridiculous. Not only do one night guests not get offered a beach view room when the hotel is sold out, but they also have to stay in the crappiest rooms on the bottom floor touching the parking lot.

She finally located a clean "one night stay" room. I told her my husband and I were celebrating our first anniversary, and if we could stay in a room overlooking the beach, we'd be very happy. She told me, no, those rooms are saved for people staying more than one night.

I took the room she gave me. It was fine; a typical motel-type room. But I was upset. Not because I didn't get the beach-view rooms (there are only so many), but because they refuse to give them to one-night guests when the hotel is sold out. That's unfair, since we pay just as much per night.

In addition to being given a sub-par room due to our length of stay, it was a noisy area off the parking lot. Families stood outside the window, talking and getting their suitcases out of the car and yelling to each other.

We left quickly the next morning.

The nice part about this hotel is that it's right off the beach. RIGHT off the beach. But so are other hotels in San Simeon. I'm telling you, pick a hotel where the people will treat you better, especially if you're only staying for one night. The policies at this hotel are absolutely ridiculous.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank WhirledPeas
Reviewed August 7, 2008

We booked the Cavalier as a last resort as we needed somewhere to stay overnight on or way through to San Francisco. It was the only place that would let us stay for one night only and we are so glad...it was a lovely surprise. The location is great, we have an amazing view and sat by the water at sunset with a drink c/o mini bar and had a lovely time. We took a walk in the morning along the coast and saw a group of dolphins swimming in the bay ... it was gorgeous and a lovely way to start our day. A lovely spot!!!!

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank BBfly
Reviewed August 1, 2008

My husband and I had a wonderful stay, one that was very relaxing and very peaceful in such beautiful surroundings. We found the staff to be helpful and polite at all times. All areas of the hotel are kept very clean. Our room was in a prime spot, being on the corner of a terrace, so we had a view of the ocean from both sides. The grounds are beautiful and kept very well tended, leading right down to the beach and ideal for people who bring their dogs with them as the hotel is pet-friendly. At night, they light up burners with chairs placed around them so people can enjoy the ocean during inclement weather. I would advise anyone not to visit the San Simeon area in June-July as it does suffer from cool, foggy weather (similar to that in San Francisco) but September/October time tends to be much sunnier. One tiny thing that could have made life easier for us ladies! No make up mirror anywhere around but in answer to an email of mine, the hotel says they are taking up with a manager. I also mentioned undercooked breakfast potatoes, when eating in their restaurant on one occasion, and this again is being looked into.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clifffan
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Our family has stayed here several times when we have taken driving trips with our dogs. If you're a dog lover - you know there's nothing better than traveling with your pet and the people who run this hotel have been pet-friendly for a good long while. The suites are right on the ocean ( west side of highway 1 ) and although you cannot walk your dogs on that beach - it's still great to be able to look out at the ocean with woofy on your lap. We usually get the same room every time which comes with a fireplace and although not huge - it has a balcony and cosy bathroom. Occasionally - they have had informative lectures for guests on the seals in the area given by members of the Marine Mammal Center, too! This is a Best Western not the Four Seasons but for Best westerns and for its pet friendliness & location we think it deserves 4 stars. The beaches in this area are not crowded - which we love and we always go off season. For dog walks - we go through town. ( Check takeyourpet.com for what beaches accept dogs ) Also - a tip - check out the little cafe/gift shop in san simeon for the best coffee and chai tea around.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank thewindatourfeet
Reviewed July 21, 2008

San Simeon doesn't have any top brand hotel chains like Westin, Marriott, Hyatt, and it is all the better for it. What it does have is a long strip of dated-looking motels, all with the same two storey, rooms facing the ocean look. We booked the Cavalier Oceanfront because of the favourable reviews it receives on TA, and they are spot on. Yes, it is a motel, and the decor is quite dark and old fashioned, but spotlessly clean. There are luxury touches you normally only associate with five star hotels like Neutrogena toiletries, and comfy bathrobes.The beds are comfortable with decent cotton sheets, and the views of the ocean with the sound of rolling waves is very relaxing. And we got two interconnecting rooms, just as we requested on line.

The staff are really well trained and genuinely friendly. We had a fairly limited time in which to have breakfast, as we had booked one of the earlier tours at Hearst Castle. We were concerend when it turned out that the breakfast was waitress served and even cereal and juice had to be brought to the table. However in just around half an hour we all had cereals, fruit, toasted bagels, hot chocolates and coffee (family of five) without being rushed.

For a hotel where due to its proximity to Hearst Castle must be mainly handling guests for one or two nights at a time it runs a very professional operation.

And do remember after dinner to walk down to the bluff and sit in front of one of the large braziers. The combination of the smell of burning wood and the ocean is an entoxicating way to end the day.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3 mi away
Sea Otter Inn
Sea Otter Inn
#3 of 12 in Cambria

Been to Cavalier Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!