“Our FAVORITE place to stay along the coast!”

Cavalier Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I think I have left a review before but I love this hotel so I'm leaving another one! My husband and I try to stay at the Cavalier if we are staying anywhere in the area, a few times it was booked so we had to stay elsewhere which stinks because we always enjoy this hotel better. The room we stay in can get pretty pricy but its no different than anywhere else right on the water plus it depends when you stay. We have stayed about 4 times now and all of those times we got the ocean front room. The rooms are a nice size, this time was our first trip having a baby but there was plenty of room for her to go around in her walker, even on the big balcony. We try to get an upstairs room so we can sleep with the slider open for the cool air & sound of the waves, it's beyond relaxing. We had the most beautiful view of the sunset. We went during the Santa Anna winds and apparently it made for perfect weather at the coast because it blew the fog away and the sun was shining. There's easy access right down to the water which is nice. This time we were informed we could order room service from the onsite restaurant & it was no extra charge, so we did & it was brought to our room within 30 minutes! And it was pretty good too. Our daughter LOVED the giant bathtub. The ONLY thing we aren't fans of are the pillows on the bed, they are the down feathered kind instead of the regular fluffy pillow. Anyways, we will definitely be back on our next trip out that way.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank ambiebutt

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed two nights while visiting Hearst Castle and the area. The staff, restaurant and facilities (pool, spa, gym) were first rate. Room was ocean view with a fireplace, large bathroom with separate vanity area and a small wet bar type area with in room coffee. All were wonderful. There were so many small amenities I am hard pressed to remember them all - we wanted for nothing! The staff were friendly and available. The food at the restaurant (we only had breakfast) was excellent and there were several other ethnic restaurants within walking distance. They had fire pits with comfortable seating every night near the water front - I would go back again in a heartbeat! I've stayed at the Gaylord Palms in Nashville and the Grand Floridian at Walt Disney World and I have to say that I had the most pleasant stay ever at the Best Western Plus Cavalier Oceanfront Resort. There is also a small artisan community of interest nearby (Cambria) as well as a designated elephant seal viewing area where we saw many active seals. This is a great place!

Room Tip: I'd recommend a second floor room - the balconies provide an awesome view with a bit of privacy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lisa L
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stopped here for a night while driving back to NY from San Francisco. It's basically in the middle of nowhere, but right on CA-1 and down the street from Hearst Castle. It's a beautiful location and not too expensive. I would stay here again, but remember that enjoying the view and visiting Hearst Castle are basically the only things to do.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stated at the Cavalier Oceanfront Resort when we were in California to see the Hearst Castle. Our room was great and there is a wonderful oceanfront area where you can sit by a firepit and enjoy the view. The rooms were spacious and very clean. We were convenient both to the castle and also to the nearby wine country. Would definitely recommend. Just not too fond of the dinner at the restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This hotel is great! The location is outstanding both right on the beach and near Hearst Castle. The room was clean and everything worked properly, they have super friendly staff and cool fire pits to use in the evening down on the beach. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 81Nomad
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Had an ocean view room with a fireplace, comfortable king bed and standard type bathroom - we could walk out of the room to the beach, pool and hot tub - excellent views - fire pits at night - we found the food at the restaurant mediocre and somewhat expensive - overall the value was good

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 4, 2013

From the pictures online I expected every room to be plush with an ocean view and fireplace. The room I ended up in was right next to a public bathroom and it was an ordinary Motel 6 look. I was celebrating my anniversary so I was glad to get away with my husband I just expected more. I paid $20 more at a different hotel for an ocean front view, hot tub on the balcony and fireplace the last night of our stay. The outside fire pits and quick walk to the beach was very nice and the staff was extremely nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
#8 of 12 in Cambria
Cambria Pines Lodge
Cambria Pines Lodge
#4 of 12 in Cambria

Been to Cavalier Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Cavalier Oceanfront Resort

Address: 9415 Hearst Drive, San Simeon, CA 93452-9724 (Formerly BEST WESTERN PLUS Cavalier Oceanfront Resort)
Location: United States > California > San Luis Obispo County > San Simeon
Beach Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#1 On the Beach Hotel in San Simeon
Price Range: $149 - $331 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Cavalier Oceanfront Resort 3.5*
Full-service hotel, the only oceanfront resort property in San Simeon, situated 3 miles south of Hearst Castle. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Cavalier Oceanfront Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Best Western Plus Cavalier Oceanfront Hotel San Simeon