“Our FAVORITE place to stay along the coast!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Cavalier Oceanfront Resort

BEST WESTERN PLUS Cavalier Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
“Our FAVORITE place to stay along the coast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I think I have left a review before but I love this hotel so I'm leaving another one! My husband and I try to stay at the Cavalier if we are staying anywhere in the area, a few times it was booked so we had to stay elsewhere which stinks because we always enjoy this hotel better. The room we stay in can get pretty pricy but its no different than anywhere else right on the water plus it depends when you stay. We have stayed about 4 times now and all of those times we got the ocean front room. The rooms are a nice size, this time was our first trip having a baby but there was plenty of room for her to go around in her walker, even on the big balcony. We try to get an upstairs room so we can sleep with the slider open for the cool air & sound of the waves, it's beyond relaxing. We had the most beautiful view of the sunset. We went during the Santa Anna winds and apparently it made for perfect weather at the coast because it blew the fog away and the sun was shining. There's easy access right down to the water which is nice. This time we were informed we could order room service from the onsite restaurant & it was no extra charge, so we did & it was brought to our room within 30 minutes! And it was pretty good too. Our daughter LOVED the giant bathtub. The ONLY thing we aren't fans of are the pillows on the bed, they are the down feathered kind instead of the regular fluffy pillow. Anyways, we will definitely be back on our next trip out that way.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank ambiebutt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
Winter Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed two nights while visiting Hearst Castle and the area. The staff, restaurant and facilities (pool, spa, gym) were first rate. Room was ocean view with a fireplace, large bathroom with separate vanity area and a small wet bar type area with in room coffee. All were wonderful. There were so many small amenities I am hard pressed to remember them all - we wanted for nothing! The staff were friendly and available. The food at the restaurant (we only had breakfast) was excellent and there were several other ethnic restaurants within walking distance. They had fire pits with comfortable seating every night near the water front - I would go back again in a heartbeat! I've stayed at the Gaylord Palms in Nashville and the Grand Floridian at Walt Disney World and I have to say that I had the most pleasant stay ever at the Best Western Plus Cavalier Oceanfront Resort. There is also a small artisan community of interest nearby (Cambria) as well as a designated elephant seal viewing area where we saw many active seals. This is a great place!

Room Tip: I'd recommend a second floor room - the balconies provide an awesome view with a bit of privacy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lisa L
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stopped here for a night while driving back to NY from San Francisco. It's basically in the middle of nowhere, but right on CA-1 and down the street from Hearst Castle. It's a beautiful location and not too expensive. I would stay here again, but remember that enjoying the view and visiting Hearst Castle are basically the only things to do.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stated at the Cavalier Oceanfront Resort when we were in California to see the Hearst Castle. Our room was great and there is a wonderful oceanfront area where you can sit by a firepit and enjoy the view. The rooms were spacious and very clean. We were convenient both to the castle and also to the nearby wine country. Would definitely recommend. Just not too fond of the dinner at the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This hotel is great! The location is outstanding both right on the beach and near Hearst Castle. The room was clean and everything worked properly, they have super friendly staff and cool fire pits to use in the evening down on the beach. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank 81Nomad
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Had an ocean view room with a fireplace, comfortable king bed and standard type bathroom - we could walk out of the room to the beach, pool and hot tub - excellent views - fire pits at night - we found the food at the restaurant mediocre and somewhat expensive - overall the value was good

• Stayed October 2013
Oxnard, Cambodia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

From the pictures online I expected every room to be plush with an ocean view and fireplace. The room I ended up in was right next to a public bathroom and it was an ordinary Motel 6 look. I was celebrating my anniversary so I was glad to get away with my husband I just expected more. I paid $20 more at a different hotel for an ocean front view, hot tub on the balcony and fireplace the last night of our stay. The outside fire pits and quick walk to the beach was very nice and the staff was extremely nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Sand Pebbles Inn
Sand Pebbles Inn
#1 of 12 in Cambria
4.5 of 5 stars 708 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Cavalier Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!