“The proverbial snowball”

Cavalier Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Although a couple issues we encountered were the result of poor neighbors, this property did not live up to what we expected. We had a ground floor ocean view room which turned out to be very warm once we closed the sliding door for the evening. No A/C on the property because of "marine" climate. Tiny window to leave open which did no good. They brought us a fan to use. Touch lamp @ side of bed did not work. Light on bedside clock did not work which is a pet peeve of mine. Lighting in room was poor, especially over the mirror. Made applying makeup difficult. Neighbors next door had a barking dog which barked whenever anyone walked by on lawn in front of ground floor rooms. Also when various people (3 different times) came to the door that evening it barked. Management talked to them when they brought us our fan. That night @ 1:30 AND 4:00 there was pounding on the wall. A coincidence? I don't think so. We were scheduled to spend another night but decided not to give them $190 for another miserable night.

Room Tip: Select upper rooms so you can keep slider open for cool air.
3  Thank barbararob
There are newer reviews for Cavalier Oceanfront Resort

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stumbled upon this great place when we first went to Hearst Castle three years ago, and we've stayed there twice since then. Being from the land locked midwest, we love the fact that it faces the ocean. The ocean front rooms are worth the extra money as they have patios and also have fireplaces in the room. Little extras such as a nice bar area with refrigerator, robes, and binoculars are what sets this resort apart. The on-site restaurant is also quite good.

2  Thank Gail F
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on a weekend in early March. We had the room with two queen sized beds on the second floor. No option for fireplace as those are only ones with king sized beds I believe that can face the ocean. We were on the side of the office mid-way. We paid about $134 plus tax = $150 per night. The family rooms face sideways and not toward the ocean but you can hear the ocean waves when you sleep. The room was quite warm and there is no A/C, just a fan if you want in the closet or you open the windor. The beds were comfortable. Drawers and closet and doors show their age (creaks and hard to open/close) although everything else looks updated. They do provide Keurig machine in your room with mostly coffee/some decaf and tea - you can ask for more if needed. They provide good amenities including shower cap or makeup remover and sewing kit which is not as common compared to other BW I've stayed at. The room has a very large safe which is nice. It also has a refrigerator and drawer filled with goodies and opened with a key. I would have prefered just an empty refrigerator instead as I had no room to put any extras. Good wifi and TV in room. They have two heated outdoor pools. It's a nice walking ground around the hotel. There is a restaurant on site in walking distance but nothing complimentary or even a discount provided to hotel guests unlike other BW I've stayed at. It is also close in driving distance to Hearst Castle as well as Cambria where all the shops and restaurants are. Only other place I have stayed at was at the Fogcatcher Inn which is in Cambria - in which the rooms/beds are cozier b/c you do get fireplace with 2 queen sized beds in comparison and provides a light bkft - across from the street from the ocean - but the place is slightly more expensive compared to BW. Both places were nice. If BW updated their drawers and able to make some rooms with fireplaces with queen sized beds facing the ocean and slight discount at the restaurant for hotel goers, BW would definitely be given 5 star rating instead. Overall, we did have a good time and it was a nice stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank WendyWN
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My partner and I stayed in an Oceanfront room with a balcony for two nights while visiting Hearst Castle. I can't tell you how much we LOVED this hotel. First they permit dogs at no additional cost. (That's real savings because most places charge you $25 per dog per night!) Second, our room was right on the beach with a balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean. And BEST yet: We had an actual WOOD-BURNING FIREPLACE in our room (and yes they supplied the wood!)

The room was a good size. Very comfortable. Clean. Bathroom was nice with extra large tub. No complaints at all. Not noisy (other than the roar of the ocean and the crackle of the fire). Had breakfast in the restaurant which was just fine. Decent prices.

I had a hard time deciding whether or not to spend the extra money on the oceanfront room (rather than the ocean view room) and I am SOOOO glad I did. If you can afford to, spend the extra money. As other reviewers have indicated: it is well worth the cost. The only problem with staying at this hotel is that you we didn't want to leave (not even to go visit the Castle, which was the reason for our trip!). Really nice hotel!

Room Tip: Beautiful sunsets makes room 275 a perfect choice!
2  Thank Kassy A
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We picked this hotel because we were going to visit Hearst Castle and thanks to tripadvisor for the valuable reviews. It was an excellent choice not just because it it located only 5 minutes from the base of Hearst Castle but also because it is located on an ocean fronte/beach and the view in the morning was really beautiful, room and bathroom were immaculate, Staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast on- site was scrumptuous. You can't go wrong and I see why it is consistently rated No. 1 in San Simeon.

Room Tip: If you have big or many luggages I recommend first floor as there is no lift.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Muhamadian R
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I used to live in Cambria and Cayucos, so I am totally familiar with the area, so we decided to stay in San Simeon because I hadn't stayed there before. The room was great - lower level (and I prefer the upper level, but this was actually ok) - and the view of the ocean was absolutely incredible. We also walked to the beach in the evening, enjoyed our casual walk, which was only footsteps away from our room.
We sat on the patio each evening, sipping wine from our winery tours, and watched the incredible sunset. We also had a fireplace in our room, so after our ocean walk and patio seating, we then built a fire in our room and it was so very romantic.
My only concern is the housekeeping service. We tipped them each day ($5.00), left a note that we needed more firewood and they totally complied. We had more than enough firewood, but the cleanliness of the room was somewhat a concern for me. I am used to having a housekeeping service clean up and/or clean around and stack everything. Instead, they cleaned "around" my stuff; and if I had stuff, they didn't do any cleaning except around it.

Room Tip: If you are invested in an ocean view at a reasonable price, this is the place for you! I loved the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cathy S
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The service upon our arrival is always friendly. My wife and I enjoy the open view of the Pacific Ocean from our patio. I also enjoy getting up early and watching the sunrise from the east reflecting upon the waves. Then I take a leisurely walk to the Cavalier Restaurant for their special breakfast of pancakes,egg, ham, and orange juice. The breakfast is great and the service outstanding. After my breakfast, I take something from the restaurant back to my wife.Then, my wife and I either head north to view the elephant seals or south to visit Cambria. We enjoy the restaurants and shops in Cambria.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
#8 of 12 in Cambria
Pelican Inn & Suites
Pelican Inn & Suites
#7 of 12 in Cambria

Been to Cavalier Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!