“great views and ocean views”

Cavalier Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I used to live in Cambria and Cayucos, so I am totally familiar with the area, so we decided to stay in San Simeon because I hadn't stayed there before. The room was great - lower level (and I prefer the upper level, but this was actually ok) - and the view of the ocean was absolutely incredible. We also walked to the beach in the evening, enjoyed our casual walk, which was only footsteps away from our room.
We sat on the patio each evening, sipping wine from our winery tours, and watched the incredible sunset. We also had a fireplace in our room, so after our ocean walk and patio seating, we then built a fire in our room and it was so very romantic.
My only concern is the housekeeping service. We tipped them each day ($5.00), left a note that we needed more firewood and they totally complied. We had more than enough firewood, but the cleanliness of the room was somewhat a concern for me. I am used to having a housekeeping service clean up and/or clean around and stack everything. Instead, they cleaned "around" my stuff; and if I had stuff, they didn't do any cleaning except around it.

Room Tip: If you are invested in an ocean view at a reasonable price, this is the place for you! I loved the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cathy S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,857)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The service upon our arrival is always friendly. My wife and I enjoy the open view of the Pacific Ocean from our patio. I also enjoy getting up early and watching the sunrise from the east reflecting upon the waves. Then I take a leisurely walk to the Cavalier Restaurant for their special breakfast of pancakes,egg, ham, and orange juice. The breakfast is great and the service outstanding. After my breakfast, I take something from the restaurant back to my wife.Then, my wife and I either head north to view the elephant seals or south to visit Cambria. We enjoy the restaurants and shops in Cambria.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Carol G
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Hotel very nice. Prime location. Only wish they had 2 beds in the rooms with fireplaces. Staff is great, hotel grounds are very clean, and kept up. Restaurant on the hotel grounds, good food and reasonable prices,

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed one night at the Best Western Cavalier Ocean Front on our drive from San Diego to San Francisco. This hotel is GREAT. We had an ocean view room, which was superbly furnished and had the most comfortable bed I can remember in any hotel. The linens, sheets, furniture were all super. There were two easy chairs to sit in a view the ocean while enjoying the indoor fireplace. The staff (from reception, to housekeeping, to the support staff) was super friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Each evening, they light three fire pits near the cliffs so you can sit outside, watch the sunset, then sit, and enjoy the evening. Please remember that you are in San Simeon, not downtown LA. You cannot go wrong staying here.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view or ocean front room.
2  Thank Sail2fun
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Hotel is at least ocean adjacent, has some OK amenities and is close to what we wanted. Spent two nights and it was fine. Nothing special here. Biggest disappointment was the staff. This area is know for friendly folks, but the girl at registration barely looked at us as she gave her required speech (something about pet rules, of which we didn't have a pet with us). Cleaning staff were knocking on our door way too early to see what time we were checking out. Attached restaurant was similar to your chain breakfast diner food, but did have really nice wait staff there.

Bad bed, cool fireplace for use. Hotel was pretty empty but we still got a bad location for our room. We didn't bother to ask for a different room because we weren't going to spend much time there, which was the point.

Room Tip: We were downstairs...maybe ask for upstairs for a better view.
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and some friends were traveling through California, and Hearst Castle was on our list of things to do. After a little research I discovered the Best Western Plus Cavalier Oceanfront Resort in San Simeon. After our arrival, we discovered they had a room with three queen sized beds(Room 202), which was perfect for our needs. It was clean, and had everything we needed. At night we took a bottle of wine down to the water, and sat by one of the three fire pits and watched the sunset. It was awesome. If you open the window when going to sleep, the sounds of the ocean will soothe you to sleep.
The room does not come with breakfast, but we ate at the hotel restaurant every morning. The breakfast was wonderful, and the service was outstanding. Maricela was our server, both days, and she is awesome.
The only negative thing I have to say about this property is that the hot tub is not hot. After dinner one evening, we suited up and headed to the hot tub. It was a chilly evening, so we were excited to get there, only to find a luke warm hot tub. We opted not to get in.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here, and we would recommend this place to anyone staying in the San Simeon area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We just spent two nights at this hotel and really enjoyed it! We had a king ocean front room on the second floor and the view was beautiful. The room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable as well as the pillows. Breakfast was not included but there is a nice restaurant right there and the food was very good. It was very close to Hearst Castle and also we happened to stop at an area just north of the hotel which turned out to be the rookery for the elephant seals. What a great sight they were with their babies relaxing along the coast! Such a beautiful area! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay there again and would recommend the hotel highly!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 mi away
Sea Otter Inn
Sea Otter Inn
#3 of 12 in Cambria

Been to Cavalier Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!