“What a surprise - BW Cavalier Oceanfront Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Cavalier Oceanfront Resort

BEST WESTERN PLUS Cavalier Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Newcastle, Australia
“What a surprise - BW Cavalier Oceanfront Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Forced to stay in San Simeon due to a long trip down the coast, involving road closures, we weren't hopeful of anything special. the small community of San Simeon seemed to only consist of a beach and roadside hotels - no private housing to speak of.
We did a drive around a few of the hotels and picked BE Cavalier Oceanfront Resort, as it seemed to be the best of a mediocre bunch...how wrong were WE!
The resort sits on around 12 acres of land. It encompases a few budgets for all, ranging from under AU$100 to mid- high $100's for absolute oceanfront rooms.
We went for a mid range room with near ocean front. There was everything in that room you need for a few days on the beach, including a wood fire, stocked and ready to light with the matches supplied.
The toiletries had anything you might need and then some.
Outside the fire pits were just being lit as we strolled by, this is a nightly ritual and encourages guests to take a wonder down to the beachfront and mingle.
We had dinner in the cavalier restaurant, which I must say was one of the best meals in my 5 week stay in the USA, and the cheapest. Our bill was around $60 inclusive of coffee, dessert and a bottle of local vino. Delicious!
In the morning we opted for room service breakfast, again only $17.00 and 20 minutes, with the view you just can't beat thrown in.
The open fire in our room kept us toasty all night. We didn't need to use the Air Conditioning at all.
I would come back to this hotel in a heartbeat - what a find at the end of a long day, and all on spec.

Room Tip: All rooms seem great, go by your hip pocket.
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

My husband and I (recently married) just returned from three wonderful nights at the BW Plus Cavalier Oceanfront Resort! I started coming here with my parents in the 80's when we lived in LA on long weekend getaways from the chaos of the big city. It was a home away from home and truly has a very special place in my heart when I look back on my childhood.

I was so excited to share Morro Bay, Cayucos, Cambria and San Simeon with my husband, as he had never been to the Central Coast (we live in Indy). I have to admit, I was really nervous that my memories had been exaggerated over time and like most things in life, the hotel would have changed. Nothing made me happier to pull up under the portico to see the fire place ablaze in the lobby, friendly faces behind the desk and a beautifully maintained (even upgraded with new amenities) room right along the ocean - we stayed in a room with an ocean view - AWESOME room!!!

The fire pits along the coastline are a fabulous addition and were a great meeting spot for the guests to chat over a bottle of wine or a romantic spot to watch the sun set. The beds were comfortable, the rooms were quiet and clean, windows/ sliding glass doors were spotless, and the fireplace kept us toasty during a unseasonable week of rain.

Perhaps I am biased, but believe me - when it comes to travel, I tend to be a harsh critic. BW Plus Cavalier, thank you for continuing to be a wonderful host after so many years. I look forward to bringing my parents back for a visit and one day, sharing this special place with my kids. Thank you!

Rocky River
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

Just had a great stay even the non ocean rooms have veiws it is well maintianed and at the upper scale of bestwesterns the evening fires are nice

• Stayed March 2011
Penrith, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

I like nice hotels and really did not think this one would be as special as it was we had no booking in place just pulled in and asked for a room for one night we had driven down hwy 1 from montery the staff person offered three choices we took the deluxe room at 139.00 after the drive we did not require ocean front view but just take about 5 steps out of room and you have it anyway, the staff also asked if we needed assistance or if we were travelling with anyone who had walking dissabilitiy, after instructions were given on map to room were given and we went inside room WOW what a room large clean comfortable nice bathroom with all the complimentry tioletries you could think of, the best fluffy towels and robes even a fire place stacked with fire starter and wood just waiting to be lit, good food at restaurant this is where to stay to visit hearst castle, see sea elephants by the side of road just pull up when you see the sign close to cambria for quaint shopping loved this hotel also the reason why we stayed at 2 more best western plus on this road trip but this one was special very memorable only had one night here wished it was longer.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Everytime i stay at the cavalier it has been so wonderful i hate to leave. The rooms are emaculate and staff well to say they are great isn'nt enough

• Stayed March 2011
Canandaigua, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

We were only able to stay one night, but my husband and I enjoyed our visit. We stayed in an ocean view room on "King's row" and it was perfect. We had a lovely view of the ocean, access to the grounds, a comfortable bed and a nice stay. We enjoyed our visit to the hot tub and pool as well as our walk along the ocean front. Breakfast was not included in our rate but we enjoyed a nice dinner as well as a pleasant breakfast in the adjoining restaurant. Not fancy, but pleasant and enjoyable as well as reasonably priced. I would choose to stay again.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for only 1 night whilst travelling Highway One from LA to San Francisco.

The hotel was amazing. The staff were so friendly. The room was spacious and well appointed. We had a King Room. The room had a work desk with free wi-fi, some comfortable armchairs to rest in, a mini-bar with VERY reasonable prices! Free tea of coffee in the room using the automated coffee machine. A small basket of free toiletries including mouthwash, toothpaste, shower cap, foot rub (from walking on the beach), moisturiser etc. The shower head provided a lovely refreshing cleanse. The tv has about 50 channels, plus in room movies etc.

The hotel location is right on the Pacific Ocean. There are 3 bonfires that they light each night (weather permitting) so I can imagine it would be idyllic to sit and watch the sun set with the bonfires burning. The hotel is back away from Highway 1, so you dont get any road noise.

The on-site restaurant serves the tastiest food at amazing cheap prices. It felt like dining with 5 star food and service, at Burger King prices! The service was so good I tipped my dinner waiter 25% of the bill. GET THIS - if you dont want to go to the restaurant you can call them and order room service, and the price is exactly the same as if you were to dine in!

I have only 2 regrets about staying at this hotel - 1 is that I could only stay for one night, and the other is the weather during my stay. It was blowing a gale, storming, raining, etc. I wish I could come back and stay during clear skies and calm weather for a few nights.

Great job guys - keep it up.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Simeon
Sand Pebbles Inn
Sand Pebbles Inn
#1 of 12 in Cambria
4.5 of 5 stars 723 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Cavalier Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!