“Average”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Himley, South Staffordshire
“Average”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Well what can I can..... not much. Once you have been to the beach all you can do here is sleep. The pool is pointless (like a puddle in a small room) and I am glad I didnt go in. My boyfriend went in for a quick dip, when he got out he looked like hed been punched in both eyes the chlorine is so strong.
Good points: By the sounds of it we may have been one of the lucky few that got a clean room. The beds were nice and comfy and I did have a great nights sleep.
If we hadnt prebooked this place I would have driven straight past.... nothing special

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Encinitas, California
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I don't expect much from a hotel besides a clean room and a good night's sleep. The room had BED BUGS! It seemed clean at first look, but as the night went on, I kept itching, and in the morning I saw huge welts on my arm, on my 21 month old child, and on the back of my husband's ear. Absolutely disgusting.

If that wasn't enough, the hotel checked in a very loud group of people right above us who basically kept us awake all night long by their partying and their passed out, drunken stupor of snoring.

Also, they have an indoor pool which my kids were excited about, but it had waaaaay to much chlorine in it and our eyes were stinging like crazy. Now that I'm back home, I can finally treat the GREEN hair that my daughter has, most likely from the ridiculous chlorine content in this pool. They also had broken chaise lounge chairs that almost caused injury when my children sat down on them. Here's an idea, get some new chairs!! That people can actually sit on. They looked like they were probably from the 1970's.

When I let the guy know in the morning, he didn't even acknowledge my complaint about the bed bugs or the pool furniture, and blamed me for my loud neighbors. I can't believe they made us pay for our stay after being eaten alive by bugs (I'm filing a report on http://www.bedbugregistr…) and by not being able to sleep a wink by our rude neighbors.

The room was awful and the customer service STINKS! STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE! Now, off to warn the Expedia and Yelp customers.....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Kathy M

Travelers are raving about these San Simeon hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We were very disappointed by our stay here. Poor decoration, furniture and carpet in room. Television very limited. No food but close to other average eating places. Location was really the only thing going for it. Allowed us to get to Hearst Castle early. Did provide a hairdryer when requested.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Midlands
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Cheap & close to the beach. They don't do food but they gave us vouchers for the restaurant s few doors down. The rooms are average sized with a nice private balcony each.
The free pool and spa was handy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I feel as if I spent most of my waking moments in this motel fantasizing about the negative review I would write about my stay. The outdated decor and loud fridge were probably to be expected, but the real dealbreaker was the noise. We have a 1-year old who goes to bed around 8pm, and on the first night we heard loud drilling next door from about 9-10pm. It sounded like they were installing something on the other side of our wall. When my husband went outside to see what was going on he ran into two workers - he asked them when they would be done, one just gave him a death stare while the other one said "soon...hopefully."

The next day when we came back to the hotel for the baby to nap the drilling was happening again from 12-1pm.

The last night we were there we woke up to people partying above us around midnight. They were just laughing and talking loudly but we heard everything. Finally by 1am we tried to call the front desk when we discovered...no one answers phones "after hours." Luckily when we went upstairs to talk to the guests they were quiet afterwards, unfortunately our baby didn't go back to sleep until after 2am.

The worst part of all was that the hotel was not full. Why would they put people in a room right next to where they were drilling, and then right beneath other guests when the place obviously had a ton of open rooms? We obviously will not be back.

Room Tip: NOT next to a utility room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed August 1, 2012

As a budget stay before visiting Hearst Castle Silver Surf Motel works well. Rooms are clean, of average size, the standard is okay (TV reception could be better, though). There's no breakfast, but they never advertised offering one, so you exactly get what is offered. Instead, you get 10% off coupons for two neighboring restaurants. I did not try any of them, so I can neither tell how good they are nor if they honor the coupon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cali
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The good:
The motel is right across the street from the beach
The motel grounds are pretty & peaceful
The rates are reasonable, especially during the off-season with a travel guide coupon

The bad:
The rooms are on the lower side of average
The beds are old and very uncomfortable (bring a pillow)

The ugly:
The owner tried to scam me! At 3pm, she wouldnt accept a $70 coupon - said she only had a $90 room available. And then at 11pm, she wouldnt accept a $60 coupon - said she ony had $70 rooms available. It was all so scripted & dishonest, really turned me off. We've been loyal guest at this motel for years, but from now on we will be staying at the Days Inn next door. Their rates are just as good, their rooms are MUCH nicer, and the owners seem friendly and honest.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Quality Inn San Simeon
Quality Inn San Simeon
#10 of 10 in San Simeon
Fireside Inn on Moonstone Beach

Been to Silver Surf Motel? Share your experiences!