“Okay motel...”
Review of Silver Surf Motel

Silver Surf Motel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed in motels along the coast in CA, and Silver Surf was the worst one. It was cheap though and you definitely get what you pay for. Very close to Hearst Castle, but nothing else worth while in the area. The rooms were very dated and the beds small and uncomfortable, even the pillows were lumpy. They had fold up metal chairs as furniture/decor, seriously? We ate in Cambria, and if we visit the area again will pay a bit more and stay there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Good value for the price... beds are very comfortable, the rooms are set back off the highway, not "fancy" but you get good value for the rates. I didn't use the spa or pool but slept well. The downstairs rooms are not without sound if someone is above but that's a minor inconvenience, plenty of parking.

Room Tip: try to get upstairs set back off the freeway for most quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mackanna
Reviewed July 5, 2012

we select this motel after review the comment on trip advisor. To be frank, the motel is fine. It is standard motel with free parking, no breakfast. The price is justified. However the wifi is very poor in the room and no mobile signal. So we have to stay outside at later night to communicate with our friend thru wifi.
We drive from San Francisco and have a short stay at Carmel, which is a very nice town and highly rrecomment to stay if your schedule is not rush. We select over night at San Simeon is because it is about hte middle point from San Francisco to LA. And you can visit teh castle in the next day if you want.

Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

For what it is, it's fine. The desk could be a bit friendlier but the rooms are clean enough and the beds comfortable. Hearst Castle it ain't but it's pretty decent value.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 22, 2012

When we first got there I thought it was such a nice cute room and super cheap price! Was well worth it.
Pros - Right by the 1 & the beach, very convenient
- cute room, nice sheets and pillows
- fridge, microwave, coffee brewer
- way quiet, I think i saw 1 other person staying
- room had ocean view
- had good TV channels and free wifi

Cons- bed killed my back, mattress was crappy spring bed and you can see one side was caved in.
- shower tiny, no bath
- this is what killed it.... went from above average to poor.... I stepped on a steak knife and found a pill on the floor. If they vacuumed prior to our stay I think these would of not been there :/ good thing I didn't have a child with me.

Like I said, went to above average to poor due to the shank and drugs in the room, but for 50$ its a possibility I would stay again due to high prices of surrounding hotels.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Travel911xx
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The Silver Surf is a AAA rated motel in San Simeon, CA, which appears to be under new management and has seen better days. When we arrived after 5:00 pm, we discovered that the bathroom trash had not been emptied. The debris included panti-liner strips, so we notified the office. Housekeeping called the next morning, and we said we would be on our way to Hearst Castle by 11:30. When we returned late that evening a quick look around confirmed that the coffee pot had not been emptied and that there was breakfast cereal (not ours--we had breakfast nearby) on the floor which apparently had been there since our check-in. Another trip to the office--this time I said I would clean up myself, and when I went to do so, I found a tooth stuck in the stained, upholstered chair that was in the corner where I had discovered the cereal. Another trip to the office with the items mentioned. At checkout the next morning, I asked if I might speak to the manager. Alas, he was on vacation and would not return for several days. There was nothing to be done. We had reserved ahead of time at the average rate of $75. A German couple had stopped in when I was in the office on night one, and received a quote of $59. When I finally was able to contact the manager two weeks later via KAYAK, his response was to offer a $15 refund. He apparently questioned the fact that we had stayed two nights. If we had not arrived after 5:00 the first night, and stayed out until after 6:00 the second, I would have asked myself the same question.

Room Tip: Triple A and the health department need to take a closer look. The desk staff is very sympathetic.
1  Thank Dorothy B
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed at the Silver Surf Motel for one night after visiting Hearst Castle. I wanted someplace that was close to San Simeon without having to back track after visiting the Castle. The Silver Surf Motel met all requirements. It was clean, quiet and comfortable.

Although the room was small, it had everything that we needed for a 1 night stay. The bathroom was a nice size with a small shower. The mattress on the bed was very firm, but comfortable. There was also a microwave and small refrigerator in the room.

The Silver Surf Motel is a budget motel with no frills and extra amentities. It is a good alternative to more pricier hotels/motels in the area.

All rooms open out to a lawn with a few tables and chairs. There is also plenty of parking.

I was really impressed with how quiet it was eventhough our room was at the back of the hotel across the street from an apartment complex.

There is also a pool and spa although we did not use them.

Breakfast is not incuded, but there are several restaurants within walking distance to the motel.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors have easy access to parking. I would also book mid-week. We got the room for...
1  Thank travelmaven_7
#9 of 10 in San Simeon
Oceanpoint Ranch
Oceanpoint Ranch
#6 of 12 in Cambria

Been to Silver Surf Motel? Share your experiences!