“Awesome Lunch with Ocean views”
Review of Ragged Point Inn

Ragged Point Inn
Ranked #5 of 11 Restaurants in San Simeon
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Had lunch there today. Kept it simple. Burger with fries. WOW...yum. Great grilled burger, simple delicious. Chef is a nice guy. Came out to the table, chatted to make sure things were good. They were excellent. This would be a very nice place for a wedding too. Ocean views, beautiful grounds.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

If you are traveling the Big Sur Coast on the weekends, make sure you stop at the Ragged Point Inn north of Big Sur for some amazing BBQ. This smoky, delicious fare is cooked outdoors on the patio area-not in the restaurant. There is plenty of seating and the views are fabulous.

I had the chicken and tri tip combo which included beans, and corn on the cob, for $17.95. It was more food than I could consume; in fact my friend and I ordered it to split, along with a delicious root beer float! Believe it or not, it was more BBQ than we could eat, and that's saying a lot!

The chef has been cooking BBQ on the central coast for the last 11 years, and he knows what he is doing. Cooked outdoors on an open oak fire, the chicken was incredibly succulent and flavorful. It's so easy to over cook chicken, but this was delicious! Likewise, the tri tip was cooked exactly to order-medium rare, with that wonderful tri tip "rind" along the edges. The meat was melt-in-your-mouth wonderful!

If you like stunning views, live music, outdoor eating, and rubbing shoulders with tourists from all over the world, the Saturday/Sunday BBQ is outstanding!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stopped here for lunch during our drive on PCH/US1.

I had the seafood salad - which included a great variety of seafood (scallops, crab, calamari, and some others) with a lovely dressing and bread accompaniment. My daughter had the chicken caesar, and my son had a grilled sandwich. All of us were very pleased with the quality and quantity of the food. It was fresh, and well-prepared. I was also impressed by the amount of seafood in my salad - six medium-large scallops and a generous dollop of crabmeat, as well as several pieces of calamari and some other items.

Beverages were generous, and iced tea was refillable. We will make this a "must-stop" next time we take this route! If you have the time and money and are looking for a place to stay in the area, I'd recommend the inn for its location and - if the rooms are given the same attention as the meals - its amenities.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stopped here for lunch while driving through Highway One. We expected this to be a tourist trap since there is no alternative within miles. We were pleasantly surprised to get a great seafood salad that had fresh vegetables and a good selection of seafood (quantity and quality). Service was somewhat amateurish, but this is to be expected since they are from from a large population center.

1  Thank travelogue6
Reviewed July 11, 2013

$134 for nearly no food?

Don't let this place rip you off. They obviously rely on a fresh supply of suckers every night to stay in business, because no discerning person would eat here twice. That is real disrespect of people, to serve overpriced crap just because they can get away with it.

I love Ragged Point Inn. I do not like, nor recommend their restaurant under any circumstances!!! Terrible food, ridiculously high prices! We spent $134 for our family of four and all left hungry!

Eat in Cambria instead, at Robin's (American Fusion) or Las Cambritas (Mexican).

Details about Ragged Point Inn Restaurant:

Our family of four ate there last night. We ordered the steak tacos for an appetizer. Bland. TINY. Have they never heard of Mexican food? Just a flour tortilla with three small bites of tough, flavorless, overcooked mystery meat.

My son ordered the Salmon ($27) It was a TINY portion, not even enough for a 13 year old. He left hungry. My wife ordered the Sea Bass ($28). Dry, overcooked, flavorless. Literally one tablespoon of flavorless mashed potatoes, and about 8 green beans. My daughter ordered the chicken ($25). HOLY CRAP! It was....can you guess? TINY portion, approx 1/3 of a breast, and flavorless. I ordered the Ahi plate. So terrible it's not worth mentioning.

We are not big portion eaters at all, but we all left angry and hungry and $134 poorer. Don't make our mistake. The negative reviews are all true.

3  Thank Steve H