“Disappointing”

The Morgan at San Simeon
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We stayed at this establishment specifically because it had a package that included tickets to tour Heast Castle and was convenient in route from San Francisco to Los Angeles along the Pacific Coast Highway. I'll start with the positive comments - Dennis at the front desk was extremely pleasant and friendly, and the tour of the Castle was enjoyable. Unfortunately, those are the only positive comments I have. According to the hotel's website, the rooms in the Orichid Inn were recently renovated. I'd hardly call the room renovated, while the room appeared to have been painted within the last few years and the bedding was adequate, the room was dingy and bathroom was filthy. There was a stain in the tub, a spider hanging from the faucet in the tub, the hot water handle on the bathroom sink was chipped and broken, the windows in the room were filthy and in need of replacing, the carpet was also dingy, and the light bulb in one of the lamps beside one of the beds was about the fall out of the socket.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
6  Thank Virginia_Daffodil
There are newer reviews for The Morgan at San Simeon

Reviewed August 8, 2007

Lovely, clean hotel with nice accommodations, really comfy beds with continental breakfast delivered to your room at no extra charge. Got a great rate of 109 per night for 4 of us. After visiting the castle went for lunch in Cambria - lovely. Was only there for one night. Was perfect except there is NO AIR conditioning. The fan in the room kept it tolerable. Wish we had time for the pool.

• Stayed: July 2007
5  Thank got2gowest
Reviewed August 6, 2007

We stayed at the Orchid Inn on our way up to the Big Sur. We stayed in their standard King-sized room for around $200. The bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed the "continental" breakfast. However, the hotel is still in need of some updates. To start, the tv was straight out of 1983, as was the heater unit. Not a big deal, as you don't really need either, but you would expect more from a hotel that sells itself as a "spa-like" retreat. We asked the front desk for toothpaste--they didn't have any. We would probably recommend a hotel in Cambria instead, but it wasn't a bad choice and again, the bed was very comfy.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sundandri
Reviewed August 2, 2007

To start out. I am young and an inexperienced traveler. So I am not sure what to think about my stay at the Orchid Inn. So I will just lay out the details and you can decide for yourself.

I booked the hotel room on their hotel website. I picked an Orchid Superior King room which features a fireplace and king size bed. I paid about $450 for two nights.

Negative: The pictures do not properly portray what the hotel room really looks like. They need to make some upgrades to match those pictures (at least the room that we got). For example: the TV cabinets are not the pretty cherry wood looking furniture pieces that they have in the pictures. It was more like a cheap wood, pinkish in color, with a very old TV in it (not that I care, I wasn't there to watch TV). My boyfriend walked into the bathroom and discovered a cob web and a bug in the bathroom. I'm not sure if the cleaning services just missed a spot or if the bug and cob web had appeared after they had cleaned. I was turning the water on and one of the knobs fell off. The fireplace was not as cool as I thought it was going to be. I could have done without it.

Positive: Cute little breakfast baskets appeared at our doorstep every morning (muffins, string cheese, cereal, milk, bread, butter, jam, yogurt). The bed was super comfortable. I want to see what mattress they have so I can go out and buy one for myself. They have good taste when it comes to choosing their pillows and bedspreads. I did not interact with staff all that much but when I did, it was fine. They were friendly and helpful. This hotel is located in a convenient spot. It is not far from Hearst Castle (amazing), elephant seals, and Cambria (cute town with good eats).

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank KittyKatKitty
Reviewed July 30, 2007

This was on our honeymoon trip down the west coast and I had booked the best room in the house with a jacuzzi etc...
On arrival (11 pm) we were put in a room that didn't meet the booked standard. The lady that had checked us in left the hotel while we went to our room and a Gentleman took over. Apparently this was an unusually busy night and he looked like all the open transactions were just dumped on him, mumbling stuff but generally being friendly.
When I showed him what I had booked he immediately gave us another room, but had given us a key to the wrong room - it was already occupied, and luckily the folks had locked the room. Imagine us waltzing in on another couple at 11 pm!
I went back to him and he gave grovelling apologies, he had wanted to give us 251 but instead had given keys for 252. Well, he fixed that.
Finally we arrived in the right room which was lovely! Great Jacuzzi, great room, the best room in the house basically. We had a great night there, breakfast was brought to room (no buffet) and was good, view was great.
Clean place, and manager the next morning was professional and good.
A few shortcomings: Apparently no air condition (not necessary mostly due to lots of fog), no wireless internet (there is free wireless internet in the lobby, but the manager didn't know how to help me make it work, and I am quite good at this), no fitness despite calling themselves a "Spa" which in their lingo means there is a massage room.
We also had trouble finding the place at night as I thought "hearst drive" means "on the road to hearst castle" but no, if coming from Big Sur keep going in the direction of Cambria until the cluster of hotels and inns on Highway 1.
Overall not a bad stay, we should have arrived earlier probably...much confusion in the beginning...

• Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank merefun
Reviewed July 27, 2007

We stayed here for two nights, around an all-day visit to Hearst Castle. We liked this hotel. The room was large and tastefully decorated with a gas fireplace. The king bed was great -- very comfortable mattress, lots of pillows and a big comforter. The room was also quiet -- owing, I guess, to the building's solid construction. Even though our room was opposite the front desk, and adjacent to the bar, we weren't disturbed. (The bar was also quiet; the billed entertainment never showed up on either night.)

The continental breakfast, which is delivered to your room in the a.m. and announced with a knock at the door, was adequate. They give you a form at the desk to fill out, indicating what you want and what time you want it delivered. Contrary to the impression you may get from reading this form, you can order any or all of the items on the limited menu, which includes cold cereal, muffins, a baguette, yogurt and cream cheese. Coffee is available in the bar area in the morning. You can also brew it in your room in a pot with a grinder for the bags of whole beans they provide (a nice touch). It's decent.

The only complaint we had was with the bathroom. The shower operation was very confusing to us at first. There was a handle for the cold water, a knob for the hot water, and a handle in the middle to redirect the water from the tub to the shower. Counter-intuitively, this handle had to be turned DOWN for the shower and UP for the bath. We also discovered that the hot water wasn't working. We told the people at the desk and they got it fixed for us.

The other bathroom problem was not fixable. The water level in the low-flow toilet was -- how shall I put this -- too high for any grown man who might need to sit on it. And this being California rather than Europe, there was no bidet available. The only solution is to bail with a disposable styrofoam cup before you (fill in the blank).

Despite these problems, we would stay here again if we were returning to Hearst Castle, which we probably won't.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Delreybird
Reviewed July 18, 2007

I read mixed reviews of the Orchid before booking but I thought I'd take a chance. The access from Highway 1 is really easy and convenient. The main building is really nice just as the website photos show. I love the way they have decorated. I did not see the guest rooms in that building. I stayed in the outer building. The outer building lobby was also decorated very nicely.

The stay started out very nicely but slowly deteriorated. The room was a bit run down. The bed was okay, but the rest of the furniture had seen better days and was a bit beat up. The bathroom was not the cleanest and in need of an overhaul. My wife is pregnant and has trouble sleeping so we requested two additional pillows and the office staff would not deliver. I had to walk to the main building while they tried to find two more pillows. There were two staffers in the lobby and no other customers. I found it odd that they would not deliver. In all of my time staying at hotels I've never had a simple request dealt with that way.

There was a lot of noise from water pipes and other rooms, although I've experienced this more times that not at other hotels.

The hotel offers a continental breakfast delivered to your room at the time you request. Except that they delivered a half an hour early, so we had to get up early. The breakfast was not anything special, but I understand that hotel continental breakfasts rarely are. We didn't even touch it.

There is no direct beach access and not much view of the beach due to private houses behind the hotel. I think we'll try a different hotel next time.

Stayed: July 2007
#8 of 12 in Cambria
San Simeon Lodge
San Simeon Lodge
#2 of 10 in San Simeon

Been to The Morgan at San Simeon? Share your experiences!