“Ok stopover to Heart Castle but no airconditioning”

The Morgan at San Simeon
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
GreenLeadersBronze level
new jersey
“Ok stopover to Heart Castle but no airconditioning”
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Rooms are ok but at $170 for one night they were liken to a Super 8 plus no air conditioning. Reasonable continental breakfast.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sohar, Oman
Reviewed August 15, 2009

We stayed in the building north of the Mexican restaurant. The rooms had been renovated except for the bathroom fitments!!!

The rooms were clean and beds comfy. There is noise from the doors but most guests were quiet at an OK time. The breakfast was disappointing.

Staying in San Simeon allowed us to get to Hearst Castle before the crowds and then on with the road trip.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Stockholm
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I agree with some other reviewers that The Morgan seems to be the best hotel in San Simeon. We only stayed one night but the hotel was great for what we needed: a base overnight before heading off on an early-morning tour of Hearst Castle.
From the outside, the hotel does not look the best, but most of the motels along the road here are pretty shabby. Inside though the hotel was far better, with a pool, nice lobby and tea and coffee available.
I definitely think this is the best in San Simeon for the facilities that you get. My only quibble would be that the wifi did not work in the room and I had to sit in the lobby to use it. Otherwise, good value for money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kitkatsve
NYC
Reviewed July 9, 2009

If you decide you want to stay in San Simeon during your drive along beautiful route 1 or for your visit to the Hearst Castle, you must know that the hotel options in San Simeon are sub-par. San Simeon consists of one small strip with a handful of motels. From what I could tell, the Morgan is the best one. It is true that it is slightly old-school looking. But I didn't think it was that bad, actually. I generally prefer unique or trendy hotels and I was fine at the Morgan - though I was only there for one night.

I found the staff to be extremely nice and welcoming. The man at the front desk even carried our luggage upstairs to our room. There is plenty of parking so that's not a concern. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable enough to get a good night sleep. The "instant" fireplace was a nice unnecessary touch - though I think it emitted very little actual heat. The hotel is not directly on the shore - though you can see the ocean over the parking lot and several other houses. If you are looking for an amazing, peaceful ocean view, the Morgan is not the place. In fact, you won't find that in San Simeon.

The continental breakfast is pretty standard: bagels, toast, cereal, yogurt, pastries, coffee, tea and juice and it closes at 10am. Check-out was at 11am which is a little early in my opinion. I think noon is a better time for check-out these days. I have to say that the in-room wet bar was inexpensive compared to any hotel I have every stayed. $1.50 for a 16oz bottle of water is pretty good for a hotel!

One minor complaint: the shower was dark. Even with the lights on, it was extremely dim when the shower curtain was closed. Another small complaint is that our door didn't fully shut unless you pushed it closed. We were in our room for an hour with the door slightly ajar before I realized this. Getting picky, the blinds were old and tattered but they functioned well. Also, the wifi was weak and only worked well in the lobby.

Overall, this is a good hotel if you must stay in San Simeon. It's also a good place for families with kids: there is a heated pool and a decent lobby. It's a hop, skip and a jump to Hearst Castle, just down the road from cute Cambria and just a bit south from some of the most beautiful parts of the Route 1 coastal drive. Late diners beware: your only choice of dining after 9pm will be the restaurant at the Motel 6 across the street. The food there is fine but, you know, it's a Motel 6.

I would rate the hotel 3.5 if I could but instead I'll be nice and go with a 4.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Although there is nothing to complain about in the service and cleanliness departments, this place just needs a few more amenities to raise it to its claimed "boutique hotel" status. San Simeon is really a non-town, just a bunch of hotels and a couple of restaurants clustered between the charming tourist town of Cambria to the south and the road to the Hearst castle to the north. The Morgan is on the west side of Highway 1. The Best Western Cavalier next door seems to be the most desirable property if you get an ocean view room, although I didn't see the inside. Unfortunately I made my reservation less than a week in advance, so I ended up at this higher priced property--$169/room before tax via hotels.com. (This was $50 less than the hotel desk quoted me, incidentally.) There is a little pool right off the lobby, open air but without any view. They keep the shades drawn presumably because of nearby buildings. The water is heated to about 80 so it feels cool but not cold, which is nice since the weather here is coastal, not usually very hot. Sadly, no hot tub! Also no gym but walking on the beach or in nearby Fiscalini Ranch is fairly close at hand. Internet access (wifi) is available only in the lobby and was reliable during our stay. There is no direct beach access from the hotel--you have to walk along the road and across a parking lot to get there, about 5 minutes. Our room was in an annex building, a 2-minute walk from the main building. All the rooms but 1 in this building face the ocean with views even from the 1st floor. The road-facing rooms are wisely reserved for service functions. There is a breakfast room in the annex, so we didn't have to go to the main building for breakfast, which consisted of bagels, sweet rolls, hard boiled eggs, cold cereal and instant oatmeal. OJ, milk, coffee, very limited tea selection and NO FRUIT--in California in the middle of summer! The rooms were clean and adequate with mini-refrig separate from the Servi-Bar. (no microwave). Decor is tasteful--architectural detail drawings from the original Hearst castle design, in keeping with the Morgan name (after Julia Morgan, the castle's architect/designer). Jacuzzi jets in the oversized tub are turned off to conserve water, probably permanently. Annoyingly, there were no bars or hooks to hang towels or wet bathing suits anywhere. TV is basic cable, no video player. Heat is from a gas wall heater (little kids beware)--not an issue in the summer but would be in the winter. So overall, an adequate/average place with a couple of nice touches but a bit overpriced.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Central valley, CA
Reviewed July 3, 2009

My first impression of the Morgan was not the best. The parking area looked worn and stained, the fountain wasn't working, and the planters were far from being lushly planted. The lobby is beautiful. The decor is tastefully done with dark woods, Asian accents, and rich colors. However, the photos on the Morgan's website are deceiving when it comes to the rooms. It was evident our room had been recently renovated, but it looked as if 3/4 of the way through the renovation they realized they were over budget. The paint job was sloppy, the ceiling fan was 1970's country kitchen, the sliding window was next to impossible to open, the gas fireplace didn't work, there were no towel racks or hooks, and despite the beautiful new tile work and shower in the bathroom, the vanity fixtures were old, tarnished and unclean in their appearance. The partial ocean view was obscured by filthy windows. The room decor could be best described as shabby chic; faux Pottery Barn meets World Market. Thank goodness for nice lighting. At night, the room looked great. The staff was efficient, but not overly friendly or helpful. When I went to the desk the first evening to alert them to the non-working fireplace, I was initially dismissed and told, "...it's just a gas jet." When I pushed the point and said it would be nice to have what was advertised, I was told the maintenance person would be there at 8am the next day and I could check back in the morning. The next day we headed out early for a long drive to Carmel and I didn't feel comfortable with the idea of maintenance in and out of our room while we were away, so we left without mentioning it again. The hotel does offer a nice complementary breakfast (sweet rolls, bagels, cold and instant hot cereals, hard boiled eggs, and beverages). Another nice touch is the ever-present hot coffee, tea, and hot chocolate throughout the day and evening in the lobby. We did not use the pool, but it looked inviting. Other positives: a comfortable bed, 3 very quiet nights' sleep, an amazing shower with several adjustable showerheads, and large, plush bath towels. There were also robes available in the closet, a coffeemaker, hairdryer, small refrigerator, cable tv, and wireless internet in our room even though we were told it was only available in the lobby. The hotel is divided into two buildings separated by a Mexican restaurant. The exterior of the second building looks totally unrelated to the main building and is very poorly landscaped. I would think if a guest was staying in the second building it would be awkward to use the pool and have to walk down the street in front of the restaurant and into the lobby of the main building to get into the pool area. The hotel is about a half block's walk to beach access, which has a distant view of the Piedras Blancas lighthouse. The hotel is named after Julia Morgan, the famous architect of Hearst Castle. Aside from a few of her framed renderings throughout the hotel and her large portrait in the entry, I saw no other connection between the hotel and Julia Morgan. With Cambria only a few miles away, I would recommend staying on Moonstone Drive instead of San Simeon. However, Moonstone Drive is significantly costlier because the ocean views are unobstructed and literally right across the street.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tunnlvu
Grapevine, TX
Reviewed June 28, 2009

San Simeon was quite a disappointment. I consider the translation of San Simeon to be "wide stretch of road w/ crappy hotels w/ no AC". However, the Morgan was much better than that description. We had booked the Quality Inn online, but left after we saw the remodeling and our "crappy room" (see my review of this horrific motel).

We drove across the street to the Morgan and they had a double queen available for $127, which was $15 cheaper than the Quality Inn. Still no AC, but we could open the windows since we were on the 2nd floor and we actually were cold. We stayed at The Morgan one night. The gentleman at the front desk was extremely helpful with restaurant suggestions and Hearst Castle info since he works there also. He made a good night out of what had started off very poorly based on our other motel experience.

Our room rate included a breakfast that was pretty standard. Our room was very clean and somewhat quiet (even though we faced the highway). Our only complaint was that the breakfast that was served in the "out building" was supposed to start at 7:30. However, that didn't happen, so we had to go the main building for breakfast to make our tour time for the Hearst Castle.

This hotel was so much better than the other choices we looked at in this small stretch of road.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Courtesy Inn San Simeon
Courtesy Inn San Simeon
#8 of 10 in San Simeon
Cambria Landing Inn & Suites

Been to The Morgan at San Simeon? Share your experiences!