“Family with 3 children's”

The Morgan at San Simeon
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Nice & large rooms. Amazing breakfast. The Lobby & dining room are not in the same building as guest rooms. You should go there by walk few minutes. Good place to stay on your way from 17 miles highway to LA.

Room Tip: View to the beach

Reviewed August 19, 2014

I booked the Morgan for one night because of its proximity to Hearst Castle. While I agree that it doeIsn't look as luxurious as the pictures on their website, we had no issues at all. The check in was fast and the staff were very courteous and professional. Our room was quite spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable and so were the pillows. Breakfast was good too. All we look for in breakfast is some toast, bagels/muffins/cereals and some yogurt and they had all that. There was one person constantly cleaning and replenishing. You can't beat the location to Hearst Castle. It is a five minute drive from the Visitor Center. We also went to Cambria for dinner and it was approximately a 10 minute drive from the hotel. They also had wifi available.

2  Thank Teresuzza
Reviewed August 18, 2014

When i booked this hotel - the reviews looked good and the pics on the website were appealing. My husband asked me why i chose this place. As other recent reviewers have indicated - rooms are not as pictured. We ended up in the seperate building - the walls are so thin, its like having a heard of elephants outside your door and above you - all night long. Not sure what the other guests are doing. The shower has a large black moldy spot - which has been covered by a rubber mat, so gross - wouldn't use it. Location is good and convenient, the breakfast was fine. Staff was very polite and friendly - but other than that, can't figure out what people are raving about.

Room Tip: Maybe try the main buidling - if you decide to try it
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Dear globugg,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Morgan. From your description I believe that you were in our North Building, I apologize for noise during your stay; our North Building is usually the more quiet and private of both our buildings.
I have asked our housekeeping team to inspect all the showers to address any cleanliness issues and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Again thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a trip to San Simeon, CA to explore Hearst Castle. And we loved our 3 night stay at the Morgan Hotel which was located just a few miles from the Castle. Although it was not a new hotel, staff members at the front desk were gracious and helpful, and the lobby was very comfortable with a two tiered breakfast area overlooking the outside pool. I knew the hotel was back from the beach so I was not expecting a view. However, our 2nd floor room (417) in the separate hotel building down the street was a delight, although there was not an elevator to the 2nd floor. The room faced west and we had a view of the ocean thru the windows in the sitting area. Our spacious room was clean with two comfortable queen beds, multiple pillows to choose from, flat screen TV and upholstered chairs in the sitting area. Even though we could faintly hear the people in the adjoining room next door, at night we only heard the sound of the ocean surf thru the open window. However, it was the small touches in our room that we especially liked – the rubber mat in the bath tub, the ceiling fan in the sitting area and the desk fan we found in the closet to make the hot August nights more comfortable (no air conditioning) although we were used to Arizona heat. We also were not expecting the stocked under-counter fridge with bottled water and sodas (same prices as in the vending machine downstairs) which were available for purchase. Above the refrigerator, snacks and bottled California wine (with bottle opener and wine glasses) were also offered at reasonable prices. Each morning before we set out to explore Hearst Castle and the surrounding area, we had a continental breakfast in the main hotel lobby with yogurt, mixed fruit, hard boiled eggs, cold and hot cereal, bagels, toast, muffins, croissants, pastries, assorted juices, milk and coffee or tea. My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Morgan, and we recommend this hotel to anyone planning to visit Hearst Castle.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which faces west on the 2nd floor of the separate hotel building. No traffic noise a...
1  Thank Helen V
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Dear Helen V,

Thank you so much for your great review from you recent visit to The Morgan! There is nothing we enjoy more than a guest who had a wonderful stay and enjoyed their time with us. We strive to please our guests and to exceed expectations. I am so pleased that we were able to do this for you.

Thank you again and I look forward to sharing you review with the entire Morgan Team.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

Had booked this hotel as part of a big trip so were grateful for two days in one place. Not as it appeared on the website. However, the rooms were clean and spacious. We were in a separate building which was a shame. Breakfast a simple affair but included, continental which keeps you going. Reasonable price for a simple place with no frills attached.

Room Tip: Request the main building not overlooking the road.
1  Thank Gooz1974
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay at The Morgan. I apologize if our website gave a different impression of the hotel.
I believe that you stayed in our North Wing; our 55 rooms are located in 2 buildings. Our North wing tends to be more private and quiet and our premium rooms offer lovely views to the ocean. Our South building is where our registration desk, pool and breakfast area are located, so there tends to be more activity.
I hope that you enjoyed your trip overall!

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I was really surprised by the good reviews of other guests which along with the pictures on the Expedia site made me choose this hotel. However it was disappointing to get there and realize that The Morgan was not what the pictures on the hotel 's site represent . The sink and toilet were old, the cabinets dated. The hotel dated but recently painted. In a nutshell a new coat of paint over a 1960's style. The queen size bedrooms are located in a separate building from the lobby. Separated by a restaurant not owned by the hotel. There is no air conditioning. The front desk suggested turning on the fan which was not enough to cool down the room regardless of the 62 degrees outside. I opened the windows but since my room was facing the highway it was loud all night long.

The only thing I liked about this hotel is that it is very well located. About two miles away from the beautiful Hearst Castle.

I spent two nights at San Simeon. No need to spend more than one night.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing ocean and not highway.
2  Thank Adrirw

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of The Morgan. I am so sorry that we were unable to live up to the expectations you had for your visit.
It sounds like you stayed in our North Wing. Many of our guests prefer these rooms as it is generally more private and quiet than our South Wing which has our registration desk, pool and breakfast area.
We are looking forward to a renovation of our bathrooms later this year.
We are certainly conveniently located close to Hearst Castle; it is just a quick 5 minute drive from The Morgan.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

There is no reason to stay in San Simeon and there is definitely no reason to stay at the Morgan Hotel. On the contrary - the name suggests way more than the hotel could ever live up to. So unless you would like to visit Hearst Castle and absolutely need a place close by to spend the night, I suggest you keep on driving. And even then you're better off driving to Cambria - there are plenty of Inns on Moonstone Beach Drive, which actually IS at the ocean and doesn't PRETEND to be at the ocean. The Morgan lacks pretty much everything a welcoming hotel should have and is not only noisy because of Highway 1 at its front door but the walls are so thin, one cannot avoid earplugs. Not to mention the mould in the bathroom.

2  Thank Ella567
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear Ella567,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent visit to The Morgan.
I am so sorry that The Morgan did not meet or exceed your expectations. I apologize if we gave the impression that we are a beachfront property. We are on the ocean side of Hwy 1, but set back from the beach.
We are quite vigilant in cleanliness of our bathrooms, they are inspected daily. Could I impose on you to contact me at gm@hotel-morgan.com to let me know what room you stayed in so we can address any issues immediately?

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Simeon
#4 of 12 in Cambria
FogCatcher Inn
FogCatcher Inn
#8 of 12 in Cambria

Been to The Morgan at San Simeon? Share your experiences!