“Nice but pricey.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Salinas, California
“Nice but pricey.”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This was a groupon deal and although it was an excellent hotel I thought the regular price was a little much. It's amenities were sparse but decent. The renovation was nice. You're probably paying for location because it sits between Cambria and Hearst castle but that's about it. Great staff.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
washington state
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We were happy to find vacancies here after being quoted a super high rate next door. I asked for a basic room and was given two options. We chose the lesser priced room but it wasn't what it appeared on the surface. The fireplace didn't work and the jets in the tub had been immobilized. There were signs stating both we didn't see until we were checked in.

When we went back to the front desk a younger couple had appeared and they were offered a room for a lesser rate, but perhaps they figured the gray haired had higher standards I don't know. I wanted a bunk, I might have gone for one of those or perhaps they were noisy and we specified quiet.

The wing we stayed on was quiet but not so well kept, the room was clean but I felt I'd been deceived by the promise of a hot tub at the end of a long day of driving and a fireplace to gaze into. Alas. The bed was not great. The woman at the front desk took 10% off our bill the next morning. They serve a cold breakfast and perhaps a room in the main building would have been a better choice but we were concerned about the noise being offered a room right next to a stairway.

You can see they are trying but I wouldn't choose to stay there more than one night. The pull on the entry door, to the wing we were staying, was so damaged it would make an attorney smile, exposed metal one might easily cut themselves on, and it was obvious it had been an issue that had not been properly repaired more than once. When we reported it we were told most guests enter through the other door. Well it was closer to our room and there was no parking on the other end. Keeping a place with that many rooms up to speed is hard work.

The employees were super nice and had a good recommendation for dinner and added that the restaurants are not open late so not to delay looking for grub, a great kindness when one is road weary.

Room Tip: I'd stick to the main building the other building is old and not fully renovated
Green Features: Saying the jets in the tub are shut off to save water makes no sense, we filled the tub and soaked. If they are serious about the water savings they should repair the dripping faucets.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent visit to The Morgan. I am pleased that The Morgan staff was pleasant and helpful during your stay. We strive to offer excellent customer service to our guests.
I am sorry that 2 of our room’s amenities were disabled while you were here. We had in fact disabled the fireplace in that room while it was being repaired. We wished to make sure the room was safe for our guests.
I would like to thank you for bringing the exterior door to my attention. We have already had the door serviced; guests will no longer have trouble with that door.
Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We reserved a room here for a few days. The reservation process was easy. Check in was quick. The building is older, but they have done a great job of sprucing things up. Breakfast would have benefitted from a warm dish. The pool is pretty, but too cold for us to enjoy. We took in the local sights and enjoyed our visit.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Having read several TripAdvisor reviews, I called the property on the day of check-in, requesting a room in a specific area of the hotel. I was told that since I was staying for three nights, I would have to ‘upgrade’ to do so and that would include a fireplace and a partial ocean view. Instead of the normal $40.00 per night I would only be charged $20.00 per night for the upgrade. I agreed to the upgrade and a change from two queens to a single king bed. Upon arrival, I noticed the exterior is a bit worn as are some of the inside areas.
At check-in, I was told our room would be in a building separated from the main hotel by a Mexican restaurant. This separated us from the pool and continental breakfast by about a hundred yards. There was ample parking, but the parking lot was in need of being recoated and restriped. The hotel provided only two bath towels in a wall-mounted box which had a couple of heavy scratches. Later in the evening, we discovered the back side of the bathroom door was in bad need or refinishing or replacement. The draperies were quite wrinkled and were difficult to open and close using the traverse rod draw cords. The carpet in the room was clean and nearly new. The room had a large jetted garden tub but due to the water shortage, it had been turned off. This was strange due to the fact that when the tub was filled to the level of the jets, water leaked out of the tub through the jets. The sink also fed water almost as fast as a garden hose turned on all the way. There were only three electrical outlets in the bedroom area, two of which were behind the nightstands with a lamp plugged in and one also had the alarm clock. Luckily, we come prepared with an extension cord with a 3 way end on it to accommodate our electronic devices. I used a tv tray as a desk for my laptop. The company’s website says it offers ‘free wi-fi’. While this is true, it definitely is not high-speed. I did a speed test at speedtest.net and found the download speed to be .44 Mbps, not even a half a megabite per second. Our room was not much of an upgrade in my book, despite the fireplace. Although our stay was in March, I needed air conditioning, which is non-existent.
The room was equipped with a small cube of a mini-fridge, a coffee maker, hair dryer, iron & ironing board and a small table. The room was well sound insulated from hallway noise as the vending area and hotel laundry facilities were located across the hall. Unfortunately, this was not the case with plumbing noise from adjacent rooms. The bedding was firm, yet comfortable. The staff was professional yet friendly, efficient and courteous.

Room Tip: The secondary building on the opposite side of the restaurant from the main hotel is quiet with plen...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Ron P,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your visit to The Morgan. I remember meeting you while you were here and the nice chat we had one morning. It is always a pleasure when I have the opportunity to meet a guest during their stay and address and concerns.
Illinois City, Illinois
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I too chose this hotel due to it's close proximity to Hearst Castle, as we had an evening tour planned. Our room was very clean, the employees, from the front desk to the girl who set up the breakfast did an amazing job! They are to be commended. I will always choose your hotel when planning a stay near you again, and thanks to Mr. Berry, the GM, personally answered my request for the room I was seeking! Great job, EVERYONE!

Room Tip: Don't hesitate with requests for certain rooms; The GM will personally get back to you, ensuring...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
From the entire staff of The Morgan, thank you for your kind review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to The Morgan! It is so gratifying when a guest enjoys themselves enough to post a favorable review. We look forward to you next visit to The Morgan.
Michele Berry, General Manager
Ventura, California
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We picked The Morgan rather by chance, but we are so happy we did. I would have rated 5 stars, but for the thin walls and the need to replace the bathroom sink. Otherwise, everything was very nice. The attention to detail was evident everywhere we turned, from the towels neatly rolled in the poolside basket to the board games available in the lobby. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. The staff was very accommodating. The fireplace was wonderful. The breakfast was much more than I would have expected for a continental breakfast, with delectable pastries. It was so convenient to Hearst Castle too. I hope we'll have a chance to travel up the coast and make a stop at The Morgan again soon.

Room Tip: No elevator, so if stairs are a problem, request a first-floor room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VtaTraveler
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for your nice review! We are always so thrilled when a guest enjoys their time at The Morgan enough to post a favorableTripAdvisor review. I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again.
General Manger
Martinez, California
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Before booking this hotel I looked around at the closest, nicest hotels for the best pricing and came across this one. The reviews looked great so I booked it. Driving around the area I was kinda worried it was gonna be crappy due to the outside appearance of some of the other places around. The outside looks decent, but the inside is much nicer! You are greeted right away by a smile at the front and this was my encounter with maybe 3 or more employees here. It was very clean and warm. Very close to the beach and minutes away from hearst castle, which was the point of being in the area. A Mexican restaurant is literally next door and the beach is a nice walk. Bed was comfy as well!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Days Inn San Simeon
#7 of 10 in San Simeon
Quality Inn San Simeon
#10 of 10 in San Simeon

Been to The Morgan at San Simeon? Share your experiences!