“Lovely Christmas Break!”

The Morgan at San Simeon
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed in the hotel for a few nights beginning on Christmas night, and was delighted by the decorations which made the hotel seem very cheery. My experience was entirely positive - with friendly staff, and the breakfasts and my (deluxe king) room exactly as expected. I enjoyed using the gas fireplace in the evenings and hearing the ocean at night from my 2nd floor, pool/ocean facing room.

It was convenient to have a few restaurants within very short walking distance. And I loved being able to walk (a very few minutes) from the hotel to the nearby beach to watch the sunsets.

Room Tip: A few 2nd floor rooms (such as deluxe king, #263, near center of hallway) directly overlook the pool...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed December 29, 2013

From the initial contact to the check out, everyone we met was helpful, ready to assist in any way possible. One person stands out. Her name is Becky. She is at the front desk and assisted me with connecting to the internet for flight departure issues. She took time with me while taking care of other duties and never made me feel rushed. All of the employees were always ready to assist but Becky went far above and beyond. As a result of this fine assistance and the condition of your hotel/rooms, etc. I would highly recommend these accomodations to any who asked.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Lovely rooms and lounge area near reception. ..and served as breakfast dining area which was complimentary. Lovely outdoor pool area. Short stroll to beach to watch the sunrise in hills behind. Interesting framed plans from architect Julia Morgan on the walls.

Room Tip: Our rooms near reception...on ground floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Spacious, clean room and pleasant front desk staff. The breakfast choices were plentiful and good. A short drive to Hearst Castle. Attractive decor relating to the original designs for the castle. The only problem was a noisy refrigerator in the room.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Morgan. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our property. I am so sorry about the noisy refrigerator. Could I impose on you to email me at gm@hotel-morgan.com, I would like to make sure we can get that refrigerator repaired or replaced.
Again, thank you for your nice review!
Michele Berry

Reviewed December 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed one night at this hotel the night before we visited visit Hearst Castle. We had a twin room on the first floor, next to the side entrance, with a view of the rear parking lot. The room was clean and nicely furnished. We were afraid of noise in the room due to the close proximity of the side entrance but it did not bother us. However due to the layout of the room, it gave the feeling of a nicely furnished motel room. The continental breakfast was very good with bread, Danish, cereals, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, etc. and the room was next to the lobby, with a glass roof that lit the room nicely. The hotel is located a few miles north of Hearst Castle, which is very convenient and it is a 5 minute walk to a public walkway/viewing area of the Pacific Ocean. We would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2013

My mom and I spent the night here during the Thanksgiving weekend. Because my mom has difficulty walking we had a room downstairs right off the lobby. The room was clean and a very nice size with comfortable beds and lots of pillows. The bathroom was a little small but also very clean with plenty of big, fluffy towels! The lobby was very comfortable and inviting with books games available to be played there or taken to your room. The lobby and rooms are filled with sketches of architectural piece, hopefully by Julia Morgan - the architect of Hearst Castle (I didn't get a chance to ask) which were also a nice touch. .

The desk staff both at check in and check out were very friendly, helpful and professional. I heard that they had a full house, and though we were near the stairs to the second floor and facing the highway and front parking lot, we were not bothered by any noise.

Since we wanted to get on the road early, we didn't stop for the free breakfast, but it looked very good with lots of choices. A bowl of apples had been placed near the front desk to tempt those of us passing by. I thought this was a nice touch.

The hotel is located on the left side of the highway before you get to the cluster of hotels and restaurants in San Simeon. Very close to Hearst Castle and nearby Cambria - neither should be missed.

Would definitely stay here again when we are in the area and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We overnighted in San Simeon on our way to LA from San Francisco. Its really a really nice hotel in a nice spot.

Really the main gripe is that the breakfast area is really tiny and we had to wait a long time before we could get a seat but the spread was great and worth the wait!

its a really nice hotel though and the mini bar wine was a really reasonable price.

We were only there a night so didnt have much interaction with the hotel staff although on check out, and possibly this is me being picky but i did find it annoying and unprofessional that the 2 girls behind the counter let me wait about 20 seconds whilst they had a conversation in spanish... but dont let that deter you, its genuinely a nice hotel close to the beach and with heaps of places for dinner nearby. Would stay again

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
#4 of 12 in Cambria
FogCatcher Inn
FogCatcher Inn
#8 of 12 in Cambria

Been to The Morgan at San Simeon? Share your experiences!