“A Nice Stopover”

The Morgan at San Simeon
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 26, 2013

On our recent trip to California we had occasion to overnight at The Morgan at San Simeon. We had a deluxe suite on the second floor. As there was no elevator, we had to carry our luggage. The room was classified as having a partial view of the ocean; however, the ocean was a bit of a distance from the hotel, so the sound of the ocean was larger than its view (the view being mostly a parking lot and trees). The room itself was clean, good in size and held a very comfortable king size bed. All was quiet, the only noise being the distant ocean waves, and we both slept well. There was also a pullout couch and fireplace. The room was nicely decorated with drawings by the architect of Hearst Castle, Julia Morgan, which are also found throughout the hotel. Amenities included a fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and board. There were nice bath amenities and towels but we found the bathroom to be dark, quite small and in need of some up-dating (i.e. discolored/cracked sink, old taps); however, the shower was good with plenty of hot water. Continental breakfast was included and held near the lobby in a small area alongside the pool (which looked inviting) and there was a variety of items to choose from. There was always a basket of apples in the lobby area. Check-in was a breeze and the hotel staff friendly, courteous and helpful. In the morning it was nice to take a walk to the beach. The hotel does not have a restaurant but there are several within walking/driving distance and the liquor/convenience store across the road by the San Simeon Beach Bar & Grill carries a very good selection of Paso Robles wines (yummy!). The drive from The Morgan to Hearst Castle is less than ten minutes. We had a nice stopover here and would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area and needing an overnight stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zofia P
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Thank you for your review of The Morgan, I am so pleased that you enjoyed the sound of the ocean, which is one of my favorite things at The Morgan. I am so very sorry that you had to carry your bags to your room. As we do not have elevators, we make a practice of offing help with luggage to our guests at check-in. I apologize if we failed to offer assistance.
I am glad you were able to enjoy Ms. Morgan’s drawings in our guest’s rooms and public hallways. She was a fascinating woman and we are honored to be named for her.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed for one night but were given a room with an ocean view, room was very comfortable, breakfast was well above average for a "free" breakfast, good quality and good choice. Overall very good value for money and very convenient for Hearst Castle

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gareth L
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had an unfortunate experience when we visited the Morgan Hotel in August. I booked the hotel 2 weeks too early so when we arrived we didn't have a room reservation. We asked if they had availability (they did) and if they could credit all or part of our already processed payment to that evening but they refused. Now, I can understand if they were booked or if it was early afternoon but we arrived around 8 pm at night so although the booking error was our fault, it really wouldn't have put the hotel out to accommodate us. The girls at the counter refused to help (literally shrugged their shoulders) and when I pressed to speak to a manager, they said one wouldn't be in until Monday and they weren't allowed to contact him/her. The girls said that they may have agreed to help us out if it was a weekday but that was the extent of it. Because we had already driven so far that day, we were unwilling to drive onto our next destination and opted to pay for a room (which they charged us even more for!) with the hopes of being reimbursed when the manager returned - no such luck. Management was adamant that since it was our original error, we were liable for both nights - great customer service. To be fair, the room was nice & clean. There is very little view of the ocean (mostly a parking lot) and thankfully, a continental breakfast was included so we could save a few dollars. A decent place to stay but the disappointing staff, poor customer service, and complete lack of compassion just didn't make up for it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kmarstal
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear kmarstal,
I am so sorry about your recent experience at The Morgan. Most of all I apologize that I was not able to assist you personally, I am uncertain why you were told that I was unavailable, even if I am not on the property, I am available by telephone and if for some reason I am not reachable by telephone, I can always respond to a message. The Morgan prides itself on excellent customer service and I am very sorry if you did not receive our usual cordial and professional service.
As I am not in possession of all the facts in this circumstance, I would welcome the opportunity to look into the matter personally, if you could e-mail me your name I can look up the reservations. gm@hotel-morgan.com.
I am assuming (and I apologize if my assumption is incorrect) that your original reservation may have been booked through an online travel site and the room was pre-paid to that travel site? This can indeed complicate the situation. I urge you to e-mail me to see if we can find some resolution to this matter or at the very least I can put you in touch with someone from the travel site that may be able to assist.
I again apologize if you were treated in a less than courteous and friendly manner.
gm@hotel-morgan.com

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Luckily our stay was for one night only. Ou room was located on the first floor at the end of the main hallway next to the exit. The room was deplorable. The window treatments were roman shades that had seen better days. The beds were just okay but clean at least. The bathroom vanity sink bowl was cracked and horribly discolored. The faucets were old and the knobs needed to be turned just right in order for the water to be off.
The free breakfast was served by two young women who wanted to be anywhere but where they were.
I would definitely never stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Georgia924
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Morgan. I am very sorry that our property did not meet and exceed your expectations. Several of our bathroom vanities are indeed in need of an update, I am hopeful that we will begin that process over the winter months.

I am disappointed that our continental breakfast staff did not make you feel welcome with a smile in the morning. I have spoken with our entire breakfast staff to give them a refresher on how our guests should be welcomed at breakfast. Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The staff at the front desk was friendly, courteous and answered all questions we had. Several employees were extra helpful when we asked for a couple of items to take to our room.

As the other reviewers said, the fireplace adds a nice ambiance or touch to the room. As does the couch to relax on instead of chairs only. We did not have a view of the ocean from our room and did not see an ocean view from anywhere in the lobby or common areas.

The continental breakfast was average for hotels in this day and age. The eating area is small and during the peak breakfast time people had a hard time finding a seat. But it was adequate to start our day.

The Morgan Hotel is as close as you are going to get to the Hearst Castle. So it is a good place to stay for a visit to the Hearst Castle and one reason we selected it. We would stay here again.

Elephant Seals were resting on the beach a few miles north and hundreds of people were there viewing them. It is an interesting sight, and I recommend it if the sea lions happen to be on the beach. One added note, it is a very windy area. So windy it was actually difficult to walk against the wind.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SafariHotel9
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Got in a bit later than anticipated and was met with friendly staff. Room was nice, views of ocean where left to be desired for the price. Complemtary breakfast was quaint to say the least, even though the fireplace provided great for ascetics the rooms could have included ac.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank osunikon
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I think it should be a Mexican hotel. The room was clean, comfortable. At night, the hotel door will be shut. If you forgot the key, you can not go in, and no phone call someone inside the room.The restaurant is small.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
#7 of 10 in San Simeon
Cambria Pines Lodge
Cambria Pines Lodge
#4 of 12 in Cambria

Been to The Morgan at San Simeon? Share your experiences!