“ok Mexican place”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were staying at the nearby Morgan Hotel in San Simeon. We were tired so we decided to go eat next door at the El Chorito. Mexican food is not my favorite but I thought I would give it a try. The food was ok, lots of beans & cheese.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We always go to there for lunch. Its very good, staff is helpful. Its what we do when we are waiting for our room.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

OK, I'm learning Spanish so that might not be exactly right but my point is: I LOVE the huevos rancheros! For reasons that still escape me, I've yet to find decent huevos rancheros where I live: the Las Vegas, Nevada area. Therefore, when I'm in California, I'm always on the look-out for good huevos rancheros. My husband and I stopped for lunch at El Chorlito ("plover," a bird) but when I saw huevos rancheros on the menu, I knew I had to order them. They were fabulous!

The salsa was quite tasty, the chips crisp and adequately salty. The service was fine, and the prices were reasonable.

I'd forgotten that they don't have a full bar. Had I remembered, I would have skipped the frozen wine margarita. (It tastes watered down to me; just not worth the calories. But my husband had ordered it for me while I was "powdering my nose.")

In response to previous reviews: When we arrived, there were very few guests. However, they started arriving and just kept coming. More than half the guests appeared to be Hispanic, presumably of Mexican descent, so I'm guessing the food IS in fact authentic. (The night I had dinner here a year ago, the place was packed.)

I wont get back to Cambria until after the new year but, when I do, I fully intend to dine at El Chorlito again.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

My sister-in-law, brother-in-law, his wife, and I have eaten here a total of 3 times. Every time, at least one of us has gotten sick. The first time it happens, you figure it's a fluke. The second time, it's suspicious. The third time, it's a trend. Never again.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Nice setting with some views of the ocean. The restaurant is a little cramped, but not too bad. The food was good and reasonably priced. It's not like there are many options in the immediate area. Plus, for as long as they have been in business, they must be doing a lot of of things well. We stayed next door at the Morgan, so we were pleased to be able to walk next door for dinner after having been in the car for hours.