“The highlight of our California trip”
Review of Kayak Outfitters

Kayak Outfitters
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The highlight of our California trip”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Well, I'm only going to confirm what all the other people who have reviewed Sea for Yourself Kayak Outfitters (and gone on a tour with Cubby) have said. It was amazing! My husband and I are pretty experienced kayakers, but we had never kayaked in the Pacific. We really wanted to learn about the ecology, weather, and currents of the Bay, and we got that and more with Cubby as our guide. He took us into some awesome caves and allowed us to experience and see far more than we would have on our own. We saw abundant wildlife--both of the larger, more "charismatic" variety and invertebrate aquatic life. I would recommend this trip to anyone from beginner to experienced. All the gear you need is included and though I expected to be cold (I have only kayaked in warm water--FL, GA), the wetsuit and windbreaker was quite comfortable considering the water is somewhere in the low-to-mid 50s. And I was even wading in water up to my waist! Don't think twice--this place is incredibly beautiful and Cubby is a great kayak guide--just go!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank starseed96

USA
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Great kayak experience”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Great service and fun via this kayaking experience. Cubby is very knowledgeable about weather, wind patterns, kayaking tips, and more. We went through a good part of the cove, seeing some hidden beaches and going through or into caves. We did get out into the open ocean for a bit. Saw a grey whale from the shore, male and female otters, etc. He provided atop kayaks of varied sizes, 2 kinds of paddles, wet suits and booties, jackets. I was never cold and was amazed he had a wet suit for a xxl guy. Really fun person to be around who knows his stuff. Price was right. I'll do it again in a different season to see the seasonal change. Never felt nauseous at all. Did this in early May 2014. He loaned us waterproof cameras and we took pics of the trip, each other and they were viewable online within 2 days.
Paul S

Visited May 2014
1 Thank luciasur
Los Angeles
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“You will be glad you went”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Cubby's a cool guy, and the location is world class beauty. I'm pretty much ruined for other places now, because they don't measure up. You won't be disappointed...

Visited April 2014
Moorpark, CA
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Best part of our trip”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We did a 3 hour kayak trip and had a fabulous time. The owner is extremely knowledgable about the ocean, it's inhabitants and ecological surroundings and relays his passion for all of it to you in a fun and interesting trip. Thanks for a great time - we'll be back

Visited October 2013
1 Thank IrishLori
Minneapolis, MN, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Book it! Best part of our trip.”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was both terrified and fascinated by the idea of kayaking on the ocean; thankfully, Cubby was the perfect guide to introduce us to it, and the experience was a highlight of our CA coast trip! From his laid-back but safety-focused attitude, to his darling Chiweenie pups who he totally dotes on, to his knowledge of the swells, waves, tides, sea caves and animal and plant life that thrive in the beautiful cove off of William Randolph Hearst Memorial Beach, I felt immediately at ease when we arrived at the lower parking lot (just keep driving down to the beach, and you'll see his surf shack on your right; lots of easy, free parking in the lot on right on the beach.)

All the things I worried about turned out to be non-issues; from putting on a wetsuit (and booties!) for the first time, to launching the kayak out into the waves (so much easier and Cubby times it just right and gives you a push so that there's little room for user error) to getting stung or bitten by some sea creature (not a worry, especially with the wetsuit and booties). Instead, there were were, paddling in the water, going under the pier, up to the rocky cliff/walls, seeing (real, live!!) seals, sea lions, anemones, starfish, otters, and on lucky days, dolphins and whales...I guess my mind is still blown by how awesome of an experience this was for us.

If you are a first-timer in the ocean or kayaking, this is perfect for you; Cubby's technical knowledge of kayaking was also such that I am confident that "experts" would have a blast riding and rolling through the many sea caves and other fun spots he clearly knows a lot about on this stretch of coast. Feel free to contact me directly with questions if you are a nervous nellie about the ocean, like me.

Afterward, definitely take him up on his rec for lunch at Sebastian's for sandwiches! I was like, sandwiches? But then he let slip that it was the best burger (and BLT) he's ever had and my good heavens, it absolutely was - get a free wine tasting (2 for 1) card from Cubby and sip some Hearst wines while the sandwich line slows down, then get ready for the most amazing burger of your life (also tons of veggie and hoagie options; burger was local grass-fed beef, if I recall correctly). Be sure to get the Thousand Island dressing on top - soft buns, incredible quality meat, so amazing. We are still dreaming about these (as well as the experience of seeing things that we'd only seen in aquariums before, just moments ago on our kayaks with Cubby.)

Final tip: Cubby has actually written several children's books about sea life and cycling with his Chiweenies; I wish we had bought a copy! Ask him about them, so sweet and would be a great souvenir. This might sound like a fan post, but I went from being terrified about doing this to looking forward to my next sea kayaking experience, so for me, that deserves a huge thumbs-up recommendation. :)

Last P.S. - the business is year-round, and Cubby says the sea doesn't actually get its coldest until May; he is very contentious about weather & sea conditions, so do feel free to book year-round, even in Dec. or January; I know you'd still have a great experience, but someone (like me) who isn't experienced with the ocean wouldn't think of doing that.

Visited September 2013