“Beutiful scenery, awful service.”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Ragged Point Inn and Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 San Simeon B&B and Inns
Berkeley
“Beutiful scenery, awful service.”
Reviewed March 2, 2009

The view is outstanding and the hotel is quite cute. The people there though think that is enough and don't feel they need to treat the customers nicely. Do stop over yo check out the scenery, and move on to friendlier grounds.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ILuvCalifornia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Hebrew first
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2009

After a long drive down the Big Sur from San Francisco, we were pleasantly surprised when we came across the Ragged Point Inn. The grounds were beautiful and the setting of the Inn is absolutely breathtaking. The room we had was large and roomy but a little outdated as far as decor. We also had a fabulous dinner at the restaurant in a very romantic setting as well. I would certainly go back if travelling in the area again and would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlantic Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 20, 2009

CAUTION: They will give your room away!‎

Travelling along the historic PCH, you may be tempted to reserve rooms at the Ragged Point Inn. Yes, the views are breath-taking and teh hotel has a good reputation....BUT BEWARE, THEY WILL GIVE YOUR ROOM AWAY.

Last summer, my fiance and I left early in the morning from San Francisco with reservations at the Ragged Point Inn. We travelled through all the main tourist attractions and the day passed very quickly. Cellphone service was intermittent, and we were unable to call ahead for a "late check-in." We trusted that they had our credit card information and would hold the room for our late arrival. At 9pm, we arrived to the manager telling us that they had given our room to someone else, and that they require late check-in calls if you are to arrive after 6pm. You can imagine our dismay. We trusted that we could find another hotel down the road.....BEWARE, YOU WILL NOT FIND A HOTEL WITH VACANCY ALONG THE CALIFORNIA COAST ON A SATURDAY IN THE SUMMER. We searched until 1am and called all the major hotels. We ended up "sleeping" in the rental car (a tiny mustang convertible) at a park in San luis Obispo.

Please do not make the same mistakes we made:
-Do not assume you have a room even though you have a reservation
-Do not rely on cellphone service along Northern PCH.
-Always call for a late check-in to be sure.
-Do not trust that your credit card is enough to hold your room
(I still can't figure this one out- did they make more money on our room to give it away?)
-Do not waste your time looking for a hotel along the California Coast in summer. You will not find one.
-Do not sleep in a mustang convertible.

We hope this helps keep you away from an unpleasant night.

Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dahlberg77
Reviewed November 6, 2008

The property and location are lovely, but my room had some problems. I stayed in the off season, yet the price for my accommodations was higher than any I had paid in an entire year of traveling. After driving south on Highway 1, I was more than ready to stop for the night. Although the ocean views are spectacular on this road, there are not many places along the way to rest or replenish. Be advised that you should have a full tank of gasoline before embarking on this trip. (I stopped once in Gorda, CA and was asked to pay $5.60 a gallon.)

Out of necessity, I stayed at Ragged Point and paid their high rate. As I entered the room, I encountered an old, chipped sink console and suitcase rack. The bathroom and tile flooring were dated as well, and featured some mold and rust. However, the main bedroom was nicely redecorated and had a fireplace. I didn’t use it because although it was chilly outside, the room was warm and stuffy. This was due to the lack of screened windows and ventilation. There was one very small window by the front door and another at the other end of the room. It did not have an air conditioning system. There was a sliding glass door, but it was unscreened and facing a public walkway. I didn’t feel comfortable leaving it open at night and insects kept entering through it. I was pestered by flies all day.

I enjoyed watching the ocean and sunset, however, the chain link fence that surrounds the property detracts from the view. Unfortunately, the walls were paper thin and I could hear the conversations and activities of my neighbors on both sides. The television was nice, but I didn’t use it much in consideration of the other guests. The coffee pot had no carafe and there was no microwave or iron. The lanterns from the front walkway kept my room illumined all night. I tried to cover the window with a towel, but did not succeed in masking the light.

I did not have cell phone reception, so I needed to use the internet to communicate with my family. I was disappointed to learn that I had to pay $9.95 extra to use this service for one day. That made it more frustrating when the service was down the next morning. On a positive note, the property features a restaurant, general store, gift shop, gas pump and some RV parking. The restaurant manager was very friendly and helpful. The bud vase of fresh roses was a nice touch and the toiletries were good quality. I think the upper story rooms might have afforded more privacy and comfort, but I didn't want to pay for an upgrade when the basic price was so high. I would highly recommend the local scenery.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — High price
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank peaceminister
Granada Hills, CA
Reviewed October 28, 2008

We had eaten at Ragged Point years ago and the food was great. I don't know if the the ownership changed or what happened, but this place has one good point the view. First the hotel makes you pay for your stay as soon as you check in. I counted 3 nice size spiders in my room. I was going to switch rooms but the only other room available also had at least 3 spiders crawling on the walls and ceiling. The staff stated they couldn't do anything about the spiders that night. The restaurant served microwaved vegetables (not fresh) and my pork chop was tough, not a quality cut. Needless to say the price was not cheap. The staff was friendly, but this hotel is not worth the money. I will not stay here again nor will I recommend it for the restaurant or the accommodations.

• Liked — The ocean view
  • Disliked — The spiders in my room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 52andcounting
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2008

A beautiful location. When we were here, the rest of Highway 1 was close due to 70 mile per hour winds and landslides. Even in te rain, so beautiful.
The rooms were very nice. Scandanavian style log, large.
Some of reviews mention bathroom, etc being small.
If you are from the USA outsid of the North-East and the older cities elsewhere, then this is definitely true, as there is so much more space!. However, for people from these areas and from Europe, they are no smaler than normal.
It is located on a clifftop with mountains right behind.

• Liked — Absolutely not a 'chain" hotel
  • Disliked — It has no mobile (cell) phone coverage.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We were driving down highway 1 and decided to stop at Ragged Point inn. They only had one room left, and it was quite expensive ($179 + tax). The room was huge with king bed and a jacuzi. It was clean, but maybe a bit dated. The bed was not that comfortable, and the room was hot.

We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant which was pretty good.

Ok place to stay when you are on the road, but if you are staying more than one night I think I would try to find something else.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Sand Pebbles Inn
#2 of 12 in Cambria
Cambria Pines Lodge
#4 of 12 in Cambria

Been to Ragged Point Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!