“A nice place to stop after the Castle”
Review of Sebastian's Cafe

Sebastian's Cafe
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in San Simeon
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This place has amazing food . We stopped here after we finished two tour at Hearst Castle. The place has outside and inside seating, we chose to sit outside because it was a nice day. I ordered the Big Sur Veggie Sandwich and my wife ordered the veggie burger. We sat outside and we received our food in about 10 minutes. My Veggie sandwich was outstanding it had 8 different vegetables on it along with a pickle and chips . So go hungry and be wild and order something you have not had you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank JayM5

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We eat here often and have never had a bad meal. Located across the highway from Hearst Castle. Very casual. You can eat at picnic tables outside and look up at the castle, or take your food to go for a picnic on the beach. This is not food to try to eat as you drive hwy1. Sandwiches and salads are huge. Plenty to split. My favorite is the Big Sur Veggie. Tons of fresh veggies like avocado, cucumber, carrots, sprouts, mushrooms, tomato, lettuce, and cheese. A banana pepper and corn chips are served with the sandwiches. They make them as you order so if you want something left off, let them know. Their burgers and grilled cheese are delicious, and even though I've never ordered one, the salads look great too. Check the soup special. I'm not sure what they do, but the potato salad is not to be missed. Unless you are there when they open, 11am (?) there will be a line. It is worth the the wait. It will take 20-30 minutes to order at the counter and another 10 minutes or so to get your food. They also sell many different and interesting sodas and beers, wines, candy, chips, dried fruits/nuts, ice cream bars, and random goodies. Inside Sebastian's, at a separate area, is Hearst wine tasting. Outside is a eucalyptus grove and an area that the kids can run around before getting back into the car. If you are there Nov-Jan. look into the trees for monarchs. After eating, find the trail north of the pier, and take an incredible walk above the crashing waves. Maybe one of the most beautiful places in the world. There are no fast food stops for miles-hours if you are going north.

3  Thank seablu
Reviewed May 7, 2013

WOW! Best burger we have ever had. Ordered the free range 1/3 lb burger which had the most incredible flavor we have ever experienced. Couldn't even split the fries we were too full. Quaint little place where you can sit either inside in a grocery/winebar setting or outside in a gardenlike setting, soaking up the sun. Nice friendly place with excellent food. Great choice.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

On a return trip to Sebastian's I went for the half pound Hearst Ranch Cheeseburger as recommended by many previous Tripadvisor reviewers. Glad I did...it was amazing.

The meat was VERY good...Hearst Ranch beef, the best of the best. I like my hamburgers cooked Medium Rare and the patty was cooked to absolute perfection.. It came with all the usual condiments. I added a little Bleu Cheese and Grilled Onion...yum!!!

I don't know where Sebastian's get their hamburger buns, but this one was fresh, unusual and very good.

Calories..?? I don't want to know..!!

In any case, this little place does get busy. We arrived at five till eleven on a weekday. At eleven it was fairly full.

As many other reviewers have noticed, you can get two meals out of just about any sandwich or burger they serve so I'll have to rate the place relatively inexpensive for what you get.

1  Thank ebrynnie
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stopped here after our visit to Hearst Castle. This place was packed!!!! We really enjoyed our lunch....the burgers are delicious!