“Best place to get a quick lunch in San Simeon”
Review of Sebastian's Cafe

Sebastian's Cafe
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in San Simeon
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Great food, best burger I had in a long time. Can't beat the location. If you have the time, take a walk out on the cove, you won't forget it.

Reviewed October 22, 2011

After touring the magnificent Hearst Castle, my wife and I had worked up an appetite. The small restaurant at the park's visitor center had over-priced food and the usual line-up of family-friendly items. So, like many others, we headed across the highway into the tiny town of San Simeon and had lunch at Sebastion's, a small deli and an outlet for Hearst Winery wines. The roast beef sandwich we ordered was enough for two people and was good. I would suggest that you take out most of the extras and eat them on the side. The roast beef is delicious but it gets lost with all the add-ons. We sat outside and enjoyed the view of an old one-room school house and the Hearst Estate up on the hill.

Reviewed August 20, 2011

We are frequent visitors to the Central Coast. I am not sure how we have missed Sebastion's....until now.

We were there for lunch just a few days ago. I had the Roast Beef Sandwich ($10); it was HUGE and very tasty. My wife ordered the Greek Salad ($11), which was even BIGGER; enough for two.

The place was busy, but the food was delivered fairly quickly. We were seated on the patio as our dog was along. It was also a hot day, and I was feeding our dog an ice cube. All of a sudden I heard giggling from a neighboring table. It was a German couple and the wife had spotted me feeding our dog the ice cube. Her husband turned around and said "Now I have seen an AMERICAN dog....!!"

Anyone who has visited Europe should know that ice cubes are hard to come by over there...!!

Tip: Next time we visit Sebastion's we'll place an order to go. One of the prettiest beaches in California (San Simeon Cove) is basically located "across the street". A hundred yards or so down the street from Sebastion's there is a beach access. The beach has tables and benches....some are in shade, some are not, but it is a wonderful place to enjoy a sandwich.

PS: Sebastion's is casual and can get very busy if there is a tour bus from Hearst Castle. I believe Sebastion's is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

When visiting Hearst Castle or heading up Highway 1 from Cambria, turn to William Randolph Hearst State Beach and make your way down the narrow 2 lane road to old San Simeon. You'll pass the Hearst Ranch manager's homes built by Julia Morgan (who built the Castle) and the old warehouses and then find the dirt parking lot for Sebastion's General Store. It's a historic building with picnic items, a historic post office (manned by one person), and the modern Hearst Winery tasting bar. The best part is the restaurant. It can take some time to get your order, especially if you're there at lunch hour, but well worth the wait. Wander around the store, or sit outside on the patio or the adjacent area with picnic tables under the eucalyptus trees and listen to the ocean or the birds. You have a view of the hills to the east, and San Simeon cove through the old warehouse buildings to the west. Sandwiches are fresh and HUGE - easily enough to share. Creative menu choices served in plastic baskets, so it's casual dining. You won't find anything quite like it anywhere else. It's a favorite locals spot.

2  Thank Wanderluster255
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I had a hamburger from a cow grown at the Hearst ranch and it was delicious. I ordered it medium rare and it came very rare so be careful. It is an extremely busy place so there was nooooooooo sending it back to cook more. It was very good but very messy. It was a decent size too so that was good. There is a little outdoor seating but not all shaded and not enough to seat everyone. There was a good sized line when we came at 1 pm and we went back at 330 for wine tasting and there was still a line at the lunch counter. The guy who seemed to be running the place was very rude so that was a bummer. Maybe he was just having a bad day???