“Recommended”

and up
Santa Barbara, Solvang and Hearst Castle Day Trip from Los Angeles
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in San Simeon
More attraction details
Owner description: It took 28 years to complete William Randolph Hearst's lavish estate, which includes 165 rooms on 125 acres.
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Not cheap as you have to pay for tours of each part of the site. The process is well run but again this is large scale, mass tourism; so be prepared to be part of a large group. My shopping focused, family thought that the very extensive gift shop in the very large visitor center was also great. Non English speaking Asian tourists struggle to listen / comprehend / follow the required tour rules. The free time out in the immediate Castle grounds was the highlight for me as I could take my time to take it all in and capture some images. Well worth a half day and given time we all should plan to spend more than 1 night locally here on the San Fran to LA road trip. I would prebook a tour(s) at least 1 day in front. Major ongoing drought is affecting the general landscape as of July 2014 but the immediate Castle grounds are still very well maintained.

1  Thank KeenPhotographer-11
There are newer reviews for Hearst Castle

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Having got delayed on Route 1 we missed our booking time but managed to get on to another tour. The guide was very informative and gave a real sense of what it might have been like to stay at Hearst Castle during its heyday. My only gripe is that you have to book more than one tour if you want to see the whole Castle. Despite this shortcoming we thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would recommend it without reservation.

1  Thank Andrew050665
Reviewed July 25, 2014

One of my favorite sites of all time. Although disgustingly extravagant, I cannot help but feel the romance and regal grandeur of Hearst's parties. The collections of art are out of this world! So much to see, plan accordingly with good shoes and plenty of time.

2  Thank Redtigress79
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I last toured the Castle over 10 years ago and I believe I did the Great Rooms Tour. This time I did the Upstairs Rooms tour. Absolutely incredible tour and grounds. Really enjoyed seeing all the bedrooms, personal areas, office and library. The indoor pool and outside areas are stunning. Even the winding road to the Castle is breathtaking.

1  Thank BartLasVegas_Nevada
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Loved seeing the history of the castle. Gorgeous grounds and incredible art. The actual tours themselves are not the 45mins-hour as stated on the reservation site. You line up to ride a bus at your tour time, it take 15 mins to ride up to the top, where you stand and wait for your group to form. I'd say the actual tour part was only 20-30mins. They then let you walk around the grounds exploring the outside. Definitely a must see in Central California coast

3  Thank spntrp