“Nice stop on Highway One”

Sebastian General Store
Ranked #9 of 15 things to do in San Simeon
More attraction details
Owner description: Sebastian's in Old San Simeon Village, across Highway 1 from the entrance to Hearst Castle, is a well-known casual eatery. Serving up the very best Heart Ranch burgers, salads and sandwiches - guests from all over can enjoy a bite to eat on the deck with an ocean view or inside the cafe with historic photographs of the Hearst Ranch and Castle. Our historic building has been a general store in the village since 1873 when Leopold Frankl opened one to sell supplies to whalers, miners, dairy farmers and those who transported products in or out by ship.
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Cute store/cafe/wine tasting venue just off of highway one. Nearby is a pier and a lovely family beach. The store was crowded with people standing in a long line waiting to get what looked like fantastic lunch food. Charming patio and deck for relaxing in warm, California sun. Be sure to walk out on the Pier.

1  Thank goodchi
There are newer reviews for Sebastian General Store

Reviewed September 26, 2012

After heading off from Ragged Point Inn, we were getting a little hungry. Next stop on the coast trip was the old town of San Simeon. It's a very cute little area and we decided to see what the food place had to offer. Wow, were we glad we did. The store had a little of everything, and there was even some wine tasting and a post office. But the best part was the amazing food. We chose to share the black bean burger. Divine. Not only was the black bean patty delicious, but each layer of ingredients was generously heaped on top - tomato, sprouts, lettuce, onion, pickle, avocado and cheese. It's making me hungry just thinking about it.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

definitely eat here, not at the castle
there may be a wait but its worth it
they have a small patio outside
burgers are delicious and big enough to share, although you'll probably want your own- they're that good
they do take VISA if purchase is over ~$10
wine tasting/sales at bar area

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Went here after reading the reviews... My son had the black forest ham sandwich. It looked amazing! I've never in my travels seen such a mouth watering sandwich. I ordered the french dip. The menu notes: horseradish and onions on request. The french dip was served with au jus, my requested potato salad, pickle (yum i usually have to request this), tomato and yellow pepper. The portion of juicy meat was very generous. The only drawback was the requested horseradish. I took a bite into the sandwich and the horseradish was sooooo strong. I didn't want to complain and tried my best to get as much off as possible. Unfortunately for me, this took away from the anticipation of eating the sandwich. I am writing this review to warn anyone requesting the horseradish to be aware that it is quite spicy. I would still return but next time I think I'll stay away from the horseradish.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Being close to Hearst Castle this is a fab place to stop for lunch, chill out, wine tasting.... there is even a post office.

We had late lunch here. Hubby had Hearst castle beef burger - apparently one of the best he'd had. We also sampled some of the local wine and decided on a delicious Rose.

Lovely spot with cyclists coming through and general quaint atmosphere. Historical too!