“What a pleasant surprise!”

Residence Inn San Ramon
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in San Ramon
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I recently stayed for a wedding, this place is a gem! Perfect location with restaurants, shopping, and a great value. Rooms are clean and spacious, the breakfast (included) was not the usual cereal and bagels, HOT breakfast, eggs, sausage, etc. VERY friendly and helpful staff. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Jeff S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Ramon, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thanks so much for your feedback on our hotel during your stay last October. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your experience here and hope that you enjoyed a wonderful wedding as well!! We look forward to having you with us on your next trip to San Ramon!

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Ramon

Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is our first but not last Residence Inn. A great location with great value and very clean lines. Breakfast not bad even hot food varying each day eggs Benjamin, pancakes, French Toast, and scrambled eggs, plus fruit and yogurt. Not a bad freebee. The rooms are large and very clean and a full enough kitchen at better than competitive pricing! The location worked very well for us. My only complaint is they do not have safes in the rooms (but must say they have pretty secure facilities). I like that a good grocery is nearby, a Starbucks-though their coffee was not bad. I will return to this Inn again on my next stay, we were in a king studio and would want it again.

Room Tip: 124 is above the sport court with some evening light but great black out curtains otherwise very qui...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks so much for sharing your experience staying with us last July. I appreciate your taking the time to compliment our hot buffet breakfast and fully-equipped kitchen. Though we do have security deposit boxes in the lobby, in-room safes would be an alternative that we can look into as well. Thank you for the suggestion!!! We look forward to having you back with us on your next trip to San Ramon.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here only because it was the only place we could stay in on such short notice.
It is quiet beings it is not close to the freeway.
We got a "shower room", which meant it was a handicapped room. Which meant not much counter space in the bathroom or a decent closet to hang up dresses and slacks. With that said it was a great handicapped room but it wasn't what I would want for a long term stay as I am not handicapped.
There was no iron in our room when we got there, but the staff was quick to send us one.
The second day our fan unit in our bathroom was dripping steadily. I had taken a six mile hike on the Iron Horse Trail ( which is directly behind the hotel, nice!) and I needed a shower. I had to wait for maintenance to fix it. I may be off base here but I think they should of given us another room and fixed it with me out of the room. I got to watch the drip while he flushed the toilet above me to see if that was the problem. Kind of funny as I like to be helpful, but dang it I wanted a shower! LOL
On our express check out we were charged for bottled water, which we did not drink. That too was taken care of.
The room was clean and comfortable.
If you have kids the park is directly across from the hotel and it's beautiful. Skate park, baseball/soccer field, Starbucks and various ethnic and American restaurants across the street from the hotel as well.
We went to the Hop Yard for beer and dinner. Beer is great but the food was not.
If you stay in San Ramon be sure to check out my restaurant reviews.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Jeff S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Ramon, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent visit to San Ramon and taking the time to share your experience at the Residence Inn. We will share your feedback with our staff here at the property to help improve our service. It sounds like our maintanence team was trying to be helpful with the bathroom leak, but they probably could have returned at a later time so that you could take your shower!
Thanks for your feedback and we hope that you enjoyed your stay with us!!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed there for around 6 months. It does the job. The staff is very helpful and nice.

You are close to everything you need in San Ramon.

However, the sound and heat isolation is not the best. So is you want a quiet place, ask for a second floor room.

Also, avoid the rooms next to the electrical rooms. The buzzing noise almsot drove me insane.

But the manager was very accomodating in giving me another room

Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Thanks so much for choosing the Residence Inn for your six-month stay in San Ramon. And thank you for taking the time to share your experience about our property. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will follow up on your feedback about the guest rooms near the electrical rooms to see if there is a way to improve the sound insulation on those walls.
Thank you for your business and we hope that you choose Residence Inn again when in the San Ramon area!

Reviewed May 26, 2012

This is truly a great hotel for the money. The hotel staff was pleasant and cheerfully helpful. We came into a beautifully appointed room that made one feel wrapped in warmth and comfort. Everything you could need was in this room, including a real fireplace for cold nights. A full kitchen with all the equipment one could possibly need, and if you do not have time to get groceries, the staff will even do your shopping! There is a good breakfast (best scrambled eggs I have had in a hotel ever), free Internet, weekly events if you are here long term to enjoy them, free newspapers, etc. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone having business in the surrounding area. Located just across the street are grocery and pharmacy stores, a Starbucks for those fanatics and for beer lovers, a very good ale house with good food at a nice price.

Room Tip: Upper floor has less noise.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeff S, Manager at Residence Inn San Ramon, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2012

Thank you so much for sharing your great experience with our hotel. It makes our jobs rewarding knowing that we could provide you with such a comfortable stay. I will share your review with my staff. My breakfast folks will love hearing that the scrambled eggs are the best that you've had in a hotel ever!! Thanks so much for staying with us and we hope that you will return when you are in the San Ramon area again.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed here for almost two months. All the front desk staff is wonderful and made me feel right at home. They were accommodating to all my needs. All the amenities you need for a long term stay are here: kitchenette, fridge, microwave, on-campus laundry, dry cleaning (in- house or right across the lot), a grocery store across the road, and a gas station right next door. There's even a paved trail right outside the gates of the hotel. It's about 41/2 miles, both pedestrian and bike friendly. There's a small work-out room. It's not much, but it's hardly used; so you have it mostly to yourself. There are a basketball/tennis court combo and swimming pool on the premises as well.

Mon-Wed they do some kind of happy hour for the guests. We had Bar-B-Que every Wednesday for my stay and it was quite good. I never made plans for that night, as I looked forward to it.

The rooms are nicely arranged, cozy, and recently re-done. This isn't your old man's Residence Inn anymore. Breakfast is on the house every morning, complete with gratis newspaper.

The downsides: like a lot of Residence Inns (actually most hotels these days), the walls can be a bit thin at times. And no one seems to know how to close a door properly anymore without waking the world. So the occasional disruptive door slamming can be a nuisance. But most of the guest are business travelers and are fairly quiet. On the weekends you get more of the family types and it can be a bit noisier. But no big partying here during my stay.

Housekeeping can be a bit irritating as they start ridiculously early and never seen to be aware that guests are sleeping or slowly waking up. This has become a problem not only here but at hotels everywhere. They like to gather in groups and chat loudly. This needs to change. This was my only real big gripe here. But as I said, this happens at many hotels.

It's a great location, mere blocks from a Whole foods, Target, and lots of restaurants. There's a park across the road and easy entrance to a major freeway. Fortunately, the freeway is a few blocks away so you don't hear too much of the traffic, especially after hours. There are a variety of rooms facing all directions and two levels. So, if possible (and the folks at the front desk WERE very accommodating, as I said), they will help you find a room that meets your needs.

You have access to a BART (the light rail) stop about 5 miles down the road. The parking is a buck or free, depending on when you arrive. It's the easiest and most stress-free to end up in the City. Bring a book to read and you'll be in the City in about 45 minutes or less if you're going only as far as Oakland or Berkley.

There are great little towns within minutes from where you are: all with their own personalities. Some of the nicer ones are downtown Pleasanton, Walnut Creek, and Danville (only two exits up N on the freeway). For a little more urban grit, you're close to Hayward and Oakland.

If you're into beer, you are at the epicenter of the microbrew revolution. Throw a stone and you'll hit a great brewery (Drake's in San Leandro, Pyramid in Walnut Creek, Black Diamond in Pittsburg for starters). If you like Wine, an hour and half up the road, and you're in Napa. Closer, you'll find vineyards in Livermore and surrounding areas.

If you like hiking, you are surrounded by miles and miles of hiking trails. There are trails for all levels-easy to challenging. You'll find incredible scenery at all levels. The East Bay regional parks are gems and worth a visit. There are also state parks, including the highest peak in the area, stunning Mt. Diablo. But we warned, in the summer it gets HOT here.

Finally, sunsets and sunrises here are amazing. You're surrounded by gorgeous green hills and the marine layer makes for great atmosphere. And all of this is in your backyard during your stay. Like I said, a worthy home away from home.

Room Tip: There are many buildings facing all directions. You are surrounded by roads but it's usually qu...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review of our hotel in your recent 2 month stay with us. I'm glad that we could provide you with a comfortable "home away from home." I will share your positive comments with my staff so that they can be recognized. I will also make sure to address your comments regarding the housekeeping being noisy in the early hours as they should definitely be showing more courtesy to all of our sleeping guests in the hotel.
Your detailed review of the surrounding area and BART will also be particularly useful to those folks that are not familiar with San Ramon and may be looking at being here for an extended amount of time. Thank you again for your business and know that you are always welcome here at your San Ramon home hotel!!

Reviewed April 12, 2012

We had a short 2 night stay in early April. This San Ramon Residence Inn has a ton of complimentary services that came with our suite. It has plenty of free parking for both large and compact cars, a free hot breakfast, free weekly BBQ, free internet, a free gocery shopping service, the list goes on. It's set up as small mini apartments & our suite felt very private. The bedding & beds were very comfortable & we slept well. I especially like that it was a short distance from the freeway but not close like most hotels with all the freeway noise and lights. This was close to a park, a jogging trail out the back gates, and a shopping mall within walking distance with eateries, small shops and a grocery store. The staff were great to us & especially Mr. Yoshimoto, the manager on duty, who was very welcoming . One of our best out of town stays ever.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hyatt House Pleasanton
Hyatt House Pleasanton
#3 of 14 in Pleasanton
Hyatt Place Dublin/Pleasanton

Been to Residence Inn San Ramon? Share your experiences!