“Lackluster and incorrect delivery order”

Los Moles Hecho En Casa
Order Online
Ranked #34 of 262 Restaurants in San Rafael
Reviewed September 8, 2018

Our order via Caviar did arrive quickly, but that's where the positive feedback ends.

We requested the mole negro on the enchiladas, as it says "mole of your choice", it arrived with red mole. We asked for black beans, two of us, and received whole peruvian beans. The carne asada lacked any kind of grilled (asada) flavor and was dry. Didn't feel great after eating any of it, sadly.

Homemade tortillas were the one exception.

This would have been $50 for two entrees with a $7 "service fee" from Caviar. Thankfully, we had a coupon for $10 off from Caviar. Wouldn't recommend takeout, or the carne asada.

I hear good things about the Sunday brunch, so we may give that a shot in the future. Delivery is not the way to go.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed May 27, 2018

We had lunch at Los Moles today. We were seated quickly and given a choice between ordering from a lunch menu or their lunch buffet. After we checked out the buffet, our choice was easy.

The buffet (which apparently is set out on Saturday and Sunday) included several mole chicken choices. I think the menu said they make either seven or nine different moles; I believe five were available on today's buffet. I had two moles, chicken with mole poblano and what I believe they referred to as "Elena's" mole, which is apparently the family version of mole rojo. Both were excellent. My wife also tried several pork items and was very happy with them. The buffet also included a green salad, pozole and menudo, and, finally, two types of flan.

At $17.00 per adult for the buffet (young kids are $10.00), Los Moles provided a big (no dinner for us tonight) and very satisfying weekend lunch. We live in the East Bay, but I know we'll be back to Los Moles on future visits to Marin County.

FYI, other Los Moles branches can be found in Emeryville and El Cerrito.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed January 28, 2018 via mobile

I love, love, love their Mole buffets on Sunday’s or their Taco Tuesday buffets. The food is far superior to any other Mexican restaurant around. It’s super fresh. The restaurant is very charming inside as well.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed November 1, 2017 via mobile

I am Venezuelan but love Mexican Food. This place sells authentic home made like food. I go either fro brunch on the weekends or Taco Tuesday. I love their juices, plantains and all the sauces they have to put on whatever you like to order. The staff is super friendly and the price is very reasonable

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed October 25, 2017

The Camarones en Mole de Mango was great. Large fresh shrimp cooked perfectly, great sauce with just the right amount of spice.

We also had the Nuestros Moles (Leg and Thigh) and it was only okay. Nothing compared to the best moles I've had but hey, not the worst either. They have a *lot* of other sauces though so I'd probably try one of those in the future.

The green rice was okay. The chips were fine. None of the salsas I tried were memorable though.

Date of visit: April 2017