“Surprise in San Rafael”

Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the amazing attitude and service @ this well-located hotel. Our room was impeccably clean and nicely appointed. The breakfasts (buffet and menu-style) were exceptionally good with a nice selection of healthful breakfast entrees. Close proximity in the wine areas is a big plus. The only minus is that the hotel is in need of up-dating but the level of service compensates for that. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: First floor poolside rooms are ideal. Quiet....except when noisy guests take over the pool area.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
FourPointsSanRafael, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

We firmly believe that we, your hosts, make a big difference in your experience. All team members take great pride in working here and being of service to you. Poolside rooms with patio are great while vacationing in wine country or visiting San Francisco. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here during our forya into S.F. This hotel could be mazing because of the proximity to SF and the surrounding San Rafael area.

Highlights - We encountered a few exceptional front desk staff memebers, location, and room size.

Issues - The first night we were at the hotel we stepped outside onto our patio and noticed no one had cleaned it in a while, there was a rusty nail and cigarette butts sitting on the patio - cleanliness issue
We wanted to do a load of laundry and checked out the laundry area the first nigt and it was disgusting. No one had cleaned it recently and we decided to wait a few days figuring someone would clean it, if you run a hotel you would think that you would check out all of the public places right? Two days later the same mess was still there and despite this we needed to do laundry, notice a theme? The front desk had no quarters, here is no change machine and the bar tender had no change, how do you allow this?
We wanted to eat outside one night by the fire place but there were cigarette buts all over the ground, empty cigarette packages on the ground and chairs, I see another theme....
The topper of this entire stay besides the cleanliness issues we forgot our battery charger for our digital camera in our room. I am sure youa re sitting there thinking, well why would that be such an issue? Well we went back to claim it and the first answer was, if it's in lost and found it's locked away and we can't get it until tomorrow morning. I said what do you mean and the young gentleman at the fornt desk explained to me that they can only get this stuff between 8am and 5pm when a manager is there. I challenged this and asked to check out the room, so we walked to the room I noticed it was gone and explained that we were leaving SF and I needed my charger. I was handed a piece of paper and told to write down my info. I challenged the thought that there was No Manager that could access lost and found and he finally radioed someone, who it turns out had the keys and got me my charger. I was told that all items were logged into a lost and found log book upon finding them and guess what my charger was not logged, policy breakdowns huh?

This should have never happened, the hotel should have a simple policy for lost and found and should have it locked up in an area that someone can always access.
There should be some type of general walk through by a manager of all public areas of the hotel, i.e. discusting laundry room
The GM should call the guests back that had these sorts of issue's or they should be reported to the GM to discuss with the guests, either way a few weeks later and I have heard nothing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dave C
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for your review and acknowledging our front desk associates. We have brought the laundry room issue to our housekeeping’s attention and will ensure it is cleaned properly. We apologize for the miscommunication on our part regarding your camera battery charger. All associates should have access to our locked lost and found area. We will bring this up in our next team meeting to ensure everyone is on the same page. If you have further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to reach out to the General Manager – Hartmut at hott@rimhospitality.com.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just stayed at the hotel last weekend. The pool area is nice, though the rooms lack the refrigerators other Starwood properties provide. MOST IMPORTANT TO PASS ALONG IS A RIP OFF ALERT RE FRAUDULENT CHARGES. The bill slipped under my door the last night of my stay had a $3.00 restaurant charge even though I didn't even set foot in the restaurant or bar. Called downstairs from room and asked to have it removed and was then told it was a mistake. Just to be certain I went down in person and checked out and was told I had a zero balance and nothing would be charged to my card. Guess what? Just found out my American Express was charged the $3.00. This is beginning to sound either intentional or gross negligence. BEWARE OF RIP OFF CHARGES -- MY ASSUMPTION IS THAT A COUPLE OR THREE BUCKS CHARGED "INADVERTENTLY" OVER AND OVER AGAIN REALLY ADDS UP IN THE HOTEL'S FAVOR!

2  Thank 2xTravel
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear 2xTravel.

Thank you for your stay at the Four Points by Sheraton, San Rafael. I apologize for the billing mistake that occurred. This is not acceptable, as correct billing ensures our guests a “stress free” stay. There are no excuses, as we do take ownership of this issue. Please rest assured that we take this issue extremely seriously and have utilized this incident as an additional training opportunity for all of our staff.

We take pride in the fact that our guests rank Four Points by Sheraton, San Rafael, #2 of all hotels in San Rafael.

Again, please accept our apology and as per my previous communication with you, we would like the opportunity to personally apologize and ensure this has been resolved to your satisfaction.
Hartmut Ott; General Manager, Four Points by Sheraton, San Rafael

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Conveniently located just off 101, this Sheraton property is a good value - especially using Cash and Points. Wonderful breakfast and comfortable rooms add up to a satisfying experience. We use this location when exploring Mt. Tamalpais and Marin county, since the B&B's are pricey.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
FourPointsSanRafael, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Thank you for the great comment. Our location half way between San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma Wine Country is indeed very convenient. Stop by again soon!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Was here for less than 24 hours, really only to sleep but had a positive experience and would return, especially since B&Bs in the area all had a 2 night minimum stay. Room was roomy enough for 3 adults and plenty of towels (although a bit disconcerting to have an open bar of soap in the soap dish making me question thoroughness of housekeeping) Had room on first floor and no noise. Check in was quick and efficient, although I was never told about the free breakfast which I am learning about just now from other reviewers. So not sure if it came with certain rooms and not the one I booked, or the check in clerk just forgot to mention.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments and apologies for the open bar of soap. I will remind our housekeeping team of the importance to clean thoroughly. Our breakfast is a great value at $14/person. It is only included in the rate if a package is booked that is inclusive of breakfast.
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to your next one.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

There were a couple of negatives which I'll get out of the way. The A/C heating unit seemed to be old as parts were sliding around and I noticed a hole in the curtain. The window only opened about 2 inches which was disappointing. Since I was on the third floor, I was hoping for one that opened all the way. (I also noticed during the two nights I stayed there that the room service trays were never removed from the hall)
It was a bit of a hike to get to the elevator from the lobby as you wound past the pool and restaurant before coming to them. And they were doing work on the elevators so only one was working which periodically made for a long wait. (I tried the stairs once and ended up on some deserted corner of the parking lot. Didn't try that again!)
Those are the only negatives. I was thrilled to notice a recycling tub in the room ( also huge ones in the lobby; a major plus) and the chairs were comfortable as was the king size bed. The room was a good size and I had a lovely view of the parking lot and freeway. Then again, you're not staying here for the view.
I only had one meal there, breakfast my last day and it was fine. Like I said, overall this is a good hotel; it's convenient to 101 and is a good place if you have business in the area. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I was on the top floor away from the elevator and it was quiet. I think it was room 362, but I can...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your feedback which I will share with my teams. You bring up great points and we'll work on improving. Our elevator project is almost done and we will have 2 completely remodeled elvators. One of the two is already complete and operational.
The hotel will be undergoing a renovation in 2013 and we are excited to soon present our renewed hotel.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The room has dated, well-worned walls and ceilings but is furnished with fairly new furniture(bed, desk, comfy chair), LCD TV, a pretty large refrigerator (3' to 4' tall) and coffer maker. The room is also fairly tight in its layout (2 queens), with only about 3' to 4' between the desk/TV and the beds. Mattress is comfortable and the beds come with plenty of pillows. The freeway noise is minimal because of the dual sliding window but the sliding mechanism is well worn. The window AC unit also looks like it has seen better days. Didn't hear much noise from other units but refrigerator was pretty loud. Location of the hotel is opposite a fairly new Northgate mall with shopping and restaurants.

Average hotel. It's a good choice if you can get a good deal.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for the feedback and for bringing the sliding door and AC unit to our attention. We will look into these to ensure they are working properly. We appreciate your comments. Hope to see you again if your travels bring you through San Rafael.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Rafael
The Lodge at Tiburon
The Lodge at Tiburon
#2 of 2 in Tiburon
Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County

Been to Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael? Share your experiences!