“The Best Choice”

Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Don't be distracted by the complainers, they will always find something wrong, and look forward to writing it here; I have stayed many times over 10 years and this is by far the best hotel to stay north of the Golden Gate, 20 minutes from San Francisco and perhaps the nicest Four Points in California. And for those who want to appreciate wine country and the redwoods as much as San Francisco, there isn't a better base. If you want super luxury, stay at the St. Regis in the city, but this hotel is comfortable and clean with a great pool and spa. The bar and restaurant are good with a reasonably priced breakfast buffet to suit anyone. Most importantly, they have a friendly, capable and helpful staff. If you have a request, just ask...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
SuisunHampton, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind words. The team at the Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael is very intent on making sure that each experience will be the best it can be. Our team is passionate about hospitality, knowledgeable of the hotel and its surroundings and takes great pride in their work.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

A good hotel experience is based on 2 things:
1) The comfort of the room and hotel, all the things working etc.
2) The details that make your stay nice are attended to

This hotel manager fails slightly with the first point and fared poorly with the second point.

A hotel with the name "Sheraton" and charging upwards of $155 a night with taxes should be a pretty good hotel experience, not just average and certainly not poor.

We called 2 hours before arriving to let them know we would definitely be there.

So we got there a a couple hours after check-in time as I told them we would be, and when they sent us up to our room, it had not been cleaned at all - dirty sheets, empty bottles, etc. I called down to the desk and they said "stay there, we'll be right up". We waited like 5 min in a dirty room and no one came so finally I went down to the desk. The manager said someone had been sent. I said, I don't know where he went then because we waited and no one came and we made sure we did not pass anyone as I came down, and my wife stayed by the elevator to make sure. The fact is, no one ever came. Okay, that's no big deal, but giving us a dirty room is a terrible way to start off a stay. We were tired after driving 8 hours. We had to use the bathroom. We wanted to get in, dump off our stuff and head to San Francisco. Instead we're dealing wtih a dirty room and management that seemed not to appreciate the fact that they were wasting our time.

Okay, we finally got a room.

The first thing I noticed is that the floor lamp didn't work. Later I found out that it wasn't a broken bulb, it was the fact that there is no place to plug it. Or rather, it required an extension cord. So why have a lamp in there that cannot be connected. We needed more light in the room at night but there was none. Strike 2.

Later that night after showering we realized the bathroom has a vent but no fan to take the steam (or smell) out. Strike 3.

The next day we returned, tired, from a long day in SF, and found no water had been put in our room. They're chintzy enough only to give you two SMALL bottles of water per day, and yet they didn't even do that! I called down and they sent them up. But again, these are the details that need to be attended to, to make a nice comfortable experience for the traveler. Gee, for $155 a night do you think you could maybe spring for two larager bottles of water for 2 people?? And make sure they get put into the room without having to ask for them?

Because we had been given a dirty room the first day, the manager gave us a free breakfast buffet. Actually I am pretty sure I had ordered the buffet with my room but he said our paperwork showed we didn't order it. In any case he gave it to us for our disappointment and trouble. Great.

However, the buffet was - no kidding, no exaggeration - the very worst breakfast buffet I have ever had. The eggs were like a big pile of slop for cattle in a huge pan, undercooked and - the only word I can think of is - icky. The coffee was so bad/old it was almost undrinkable. If I were not a coffee addict, I would not have drank it.Strike 4.

We go up to the room where I realize they have a coffee maker. Great! I'll make my own cup, it can't be any worse than the one I just had in the "restaurant" (I use the term loosely.)

But guess what? There is no plug to plug the coffee maker into. After crawling on the floor to see if there were an outlet and finally moving the huge dresser to see if there was one I realized there were none available on that entire wall which is why the floor lamp also could not be plugged in.

I had to put the coffee maker on the little nightstand by the bed, then move it back when I was done. I would expect this if I were travelling in Mexico or Guatemala, but not in a Sheraton in San Rafael. Strike 5.

Srike 6: The bed gave me a backache. Not sure why, I imagine it is old and needs to be replaced. Or it could have been that the pillows were all too soft. Why does a hotel have 6 pillows and all of them the same type? Why not have one soft, one medium and one firm, one thin, one medium and one thick - instead of having 6 crappy super thin, soft, non-supportive pillows?

So while none of these things were horrible, on their own (except for the restaurant), when you add them all up they add up to a kind of crappy hotel experience.

I will say that the hotel itself, though old and certainly not a luxury hotel, is quiet, as well cleaned as most, and not really raggedy as some older hotels are. The hotel itself could actually have provided us with a great experience had the management made sure the maid did her job, the restaurant made good breakfast, the room had the lamp and coffee maker plugged in, and so on.

I will give the hotel some points for a few things that were good:
They did give us a quiet room.
The jacuzzi by the pool was fantastic.

That's about it.

The bottom line is I will never choose this hotel again. I'm sure I can do better next time for less money. Why pay Sheraton prices for Motel 6 luxury?

Room Tip: If you must stay here and want a quiet room, ask for a 3rd or 4th floor room on the backside down th...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank paulnickles

Thank you very kindly for your feedback and apologies for not leaving a better impression. We pride ourselves in providing excellent service without exception. Unfortunately every now and then something goes terribly wrong. We have no interest in upsetting our guests. We understand fully that we are here because of you and for you. We would welcome a second opportunity so you can see that this experience was far from what we are all about.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

The room was not up to Sheraton standards. Sheets were threadbare, not fitted, and did not cover the bed. They simply laid a cover sheet over the mattress with the top and foot of the mattress exposed! We had the sheets changed after the first night, and they used fitted sheets. Two days later they put the short sheet back on. We were told by another guest the rooms near the front were nicer than the ones in the back where we were, so we asked to move. The front desk said we had the nice rooms with updated linens. Some rooms had duvets; mine had an old blanket. Some upgrade! Some rooms had electrical plug-ins hanging from the wall. Time for a renovation or a name change.
Restaurant was convenient and good for the price. There was a mall across the street and a brew pub nearby as well.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank RonThomasville_GA

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are continuously going through our rooms to make sure that everything is in working order. Our housekeeping team works extremely hard and it is unfortunate that you see the high quality work they deliver on a daily basis. We are in fact rolling out a new, high end, white linen program that is getting rolled out into all Four Points by Sheraton. Otherwise the rooms are all the same.
We look forward to your next visit and welcome a future opportunity to be of service.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was here for a conference at the hotel for 4 days.

The room was in the basement, but for the most part fine and comfortable.

The lobby area is nice, and they have an outdoor courtyard with a fireplace that's very nice.

Some of the front desk staff was helpful, some looked like yet didn't want to be bothered.

The only food I had was what was catered (3 meals a day in our room). Granted, catered hotel food is never as good as the individual stuff, but overall, the food was poor. Even though I had paid for it as part of my package, I ate out as much as I could.

I stayed because of my conference, and if I had too, I'd stay again, but there are probably better options.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Jeffrey K

Thank you for this feedback. We have over 7000 sq.ft. of meeting space and host a lot of conferences at our hotel between San Francisco and Napa & Sonoma Wine Country. The food quality is very important to us and we will continue to pay close attention to it. The hotel is on a hill and none of our rooms are in the basement. Perhaps the reference is to our "zero floor" rooms which are very popular because many of them have a private patio deck.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town. Our Front Desk team is focused on every guest and will service you with passion and attention to detail.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I had a hectic week leading up to my stay at the Sheraton in San Rafael and when I got to the hotel my reservation was taken I was about to flip out but the manager Mohammed took care of my family and I even accommodating an extra guest I hadn't planned on and comped me several breakfasts for the next day everyone should learn from the customer service he gave it was a shinning example of what we used to hold dear in this country.

P.S. I left a very expensive leather jacket in the room when I checked out and was sure it would be gone for ever but when I came back to the front desk and asked Mohammed he immediately called the lost and found and had them rush it to me. To me this says a lot about the staff as well they could have easily not been able to recover it thanks to all of you.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RaphaelGrover
Hartmut O, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you for the great review! We are very proud of our team here at the Four Points San Rafael, and Mohammad is a great example of our customer service. We hope to see you again next time you visit San Rafael!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Besides the bed and pillows (which were excellent here), I really care about the air conditioning system in a hotel. The ideal is central air conditioning that is quiet (i.e., does NOT turn on and off all night) and can be calibrated (i.e., has more than just high and low settings). This hotel has wall air conditioners that are not particularly quiet or easy to calibrate. Everything else in this hotel is first rate, so I found the air conditioning rather disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RNatha
Hartmut O, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you for the great review. We are always looking for feedback from our guests about what is important to them while looking for a hotel to stay at. We take this information to heart and use it while we continue improving the hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed the rest of the hotel and look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I usually stay in SF, but since this trip we wanted to do wine country and the city. We chose to stay here. We got a GREAT price on the room, and honestly wasn't quite sure what to expect based on previous reviews. My room was perfect. It had nice soft bedding, tons of pillows to choose from and had a super comfy bed. The room was a generous size and had everything we needed. The pool area looked just lovely, I didn't get a chance to use it but will on my next trip! The staff was friendly and helpful. We ordered room service, it was yummy and arrived quickly. I will definitely be back on my next trip!

Room Tip: I stayed on the 3rd floor overlooking the 101 and didn't hear any traffic noise. I can't ima...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

The Four Points San Rafael is in the perfect location if you want to visit both San Francisco and the Napa & Sonoma wine country- and a much better value than both. Thank you for the great review and we are happy to know that you enjoyed some of our great amenities such as our Four Points for Comfort bedding and full room service. See you next time!

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Rafael
The Lodge at Tiburon
The Lodge at Tiburon
#2 of 2 in Tiburon
Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County

Been to Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael? Share your experiences!